This months Classic From The Comics.

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Post by Guest »

The 'Rusty' artist is Paddy Brennan doing one of his rare attempts at a 'cartoon' strip. It first appeared in the early 1950's but was reprinted a decade later.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

This is weird I've just been classed as a guest again because I didn't sign in before I wrote the message. When that happened in the past it used to give you the oppurtunity to sign in once you'd finished writing the message. That's two messages I've lost this week into the 'guest void'. Must be more careful in the future or else I might jeopardise my position in the forum 'premier league'. And speaking of same I see Lew 'eat my dust' Stringer's back!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks for the info guest/Kashgar...:)

the cartoon drawing does look serious...so he was better at adventure strips then comic cartoon...

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

Same thing happened to me when when I sent a couple of messages last night I came up as GUEST - I'm just in the top 10 I could drop out at this rate (now I know how Charlton and Dunfermline feel)
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Yippee!
hope it an adventure story....
Jellymen
Great flood of London
The Red Wrecker....etc..
heres hoping....
my request has been granted.......and Wow! what an opener...gave me chills seeing Tower Bridge being engulfed like that.....thanks Classics editor you've made my day... :D

wonder what has aged the strip which he refers to in the first page........is it racism? anyone know?

HighAndMighty

Post by HighAndMighty »

A great Classics this month... well worth ?2 of anyone's money... especially if you get it for your kids as a "treat" but read it yourself first
cor!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

How selfish. Buy two copies ;)

Re: This months Classic From The Comics.

Post by Guest »

HighAndMighty wrote:A great Classics this month... well worth ?2 of anyone's money... especially if you get it for your kids as a "treat" but read it yourself first

I can't get it at all! My newsagent has stopped selling it.

Time to subscribe...

Lew

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Great...the three bears and Bash Street by Leo ...Jonah...and of course
the great flood of London..catching the lions in the lift and the parent letting them try was funny...they didn't care they might be eaten!!!!! :lol:
The boil on the neck in the Black Sapper giving him away was also funny...
Nice to see adventure stories covered in order..

On Mickey the Monkey front page of Topper was an advert for Stallions of the moon from March 25th 1961 a red indian adventure...for those look for wild west strips...looked interesting

UPDATE page 64
3 Bears looked to me by Leo

page 6 Bash Street
...very good ghost artist otherwise
Last edited by Peter Gray on 30 Sep 2007, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:Great...the three bears and Bash Street by Leo
There's a close similarity but those strips in this month's Classics are not by Leo Baxendale.

Lew

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:
UPDATE page 64

page 6 Bash Street

Page 64 may be by Leo but I'm not sure. 3 Bears on page 24 isn't, and the Bash Street strips may be early fill-ins by David Sutherland perhaps? There's something not quite "Baxendale" about the eyes and the hands.

Lew

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Baxendale pg 64 Three Bears, Bob McGrath pg 24 Three Bears, Dave Sutherland pg 6 Bash St.
A propos his work on 'The Three Bears' it's a pity that given its unusual dimensions, usually a long narrow column, that it is unlikely that 'Classics' will ever reprint any of Leo's other mad 'fur and feather' strip 'The Gobbles' from the pages of the Beezer.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I was about to say exactly that re Sutherland and McGrath. That's exactly how Sutherland drew the kids for the next 10-15 years before he simplified down, and also the same style as the 28/7/62 strip on page 10 of last month's Classics. Key there was the birds - David has his own way of drawing birds and cows.

Did you notice that Steve Bright ghosted Bob Nixon in Polar Blair on p20 and Ken Harrison in Harry and his Hippo on p34? We also have some early Barrie Appleby (Sleepy Ed) and our favourite Broons/Oor Wullie artist on Dan.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Peter Gray wrote:Great...the three bears and Bash Street by Leo ...Jonah...and of course
the great flood of London..catching the lions in the lift and the parent letting them try was funny...they didn't care they might be eaten!!!!! :lol:
The boil on the neck in the Black Sapper giving him away was also funny...
Nice to see adventure stories covered in order..

On Mickey the Monkey front page of Topper was an advert for Stallions of the moon from March 25th 1961 a red indian adventure...for those look for wild west strips...looked interesting

UPDATE page 64

page 6 Bash Street
Just in case you're at all curious the Topper strip mentioned at the bottom of the front page 'Mickey the Monkey' strip and titled 'Stallions of the Moon' was about a young Indian brave who tries to bring a feud between two warring tribes to an end by locating two legendary horses. It appeared in Topper issues 419-439 and was drawn by H R Platt.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The 'Xmas' issue (No140) is now out and contains a reasonable smattering of Yuletide material behind a nice new Ken Harrison cover.
The issue features the final two episodes of 'The Great Flood of London' which have a seasonal flavour and the first episode of 'Red Rory of the Eagles' from the characters Beano incarnation in the 1960's drawn by Andy Hutton. This replaces 'The Black Sapper' which ended in the previous issue. The editor remains tight-lipped about what will replace the rather curtailed outing for 'The Great Flood' in the next issue.