The Late Sparky..

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Re: The Late Sparky..

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Cap, Welcome back! Some Mummies was drawn by Charles Sinclair ( he drew Basil Brush for TV Comic at about the same time) and was on the cover of Sparky throughout its entire run which began in Dec 1975. It did not make it into Topper after the merger

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Kashgar,never thought I'd be missed! :lol: I must admit that anything to do with D.C. Thomson's humour titles always interests me-Beezer,Topper,Buzz,Sparky. I know some may think my dis-interest in Beano/Dandy strange,but without sounding unkind,they just didn't do it for me as a kid. "Pop,Dick and Harry","Ali's Baba","Some Mummie's Do 'Ave 'Em","Ginger","Thingummyblob",etc....I absolutely loved the charm of these strips.

The Cap.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thre was a centre pages strip in mid 1973 called "Jumbo and Jet" which featured an Elephant and a mouse. Can't say I think much of it! I mention it to give an example of the comic starting to lose it's `golden-touch` of 1969-72 period!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Some of the later Sparky Annuals featured a strip called "Brainless". So far, i've not found any sign of it in the comics themselves! Any chance of a bit more info on the I.Spy strip in the Dandy fun specials?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Brainless never appeared in the weekly comic only in the annuals. If you are referring to the Dandy Fun-size then there is only the Lew Stringer one-off I-Spy.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Of the `new`stories in Sparky 1974 to 77 I only really enjoy `Thingummyblob` Some of the episodes are very funny indeed! One example is when Prof Potts tries to get the `blob` into a `killing device` with all sorts of blades/knives etc! He makes out it's a `monsters club` and tries to usher the blob inside "Hurry up! The Grinders..er! People are waiting!" Marvellous!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Mr Bubbles I used to love as a kid, Ahhhh the thought of having 3 wishes, I was like Dreamy Dave after reading it.
could someone put some Mr Bubbles scans up please, I've only got 1 or 2.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Mr bubbles was one of those strips where no explanation of how he came to be was given! Some of the stories were superbly `oddball` with a high level of invention!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

here's a couple of 'MR BUBBLES' stories from December 1970, steelclaw:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Thanks ISPYSHHHGUY those excellent scans are around the time I was reading 'Sparky' when I was a kid. It's quite surreal stuff any hippies working on 'Sparky' around that time. :?