Topper's quirky humour strips of the 70's

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Topper's quirky humour strips of the 70's

Post by Digifiend »

I know, I was stating the obvious... :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I SPY?......whose that?

never heard of him!

Phil; I cannot thank you enough for putting in the first-ever 'LUMBERING JACK' episode: as I wrote recently, this episode disturbed me slightly as an 8-year-old, and even looking at this first page today, I find the central chatacter a bit repellent: I think it's the policeman's offputting facial expression, combined with the 'sadism' of his spanking acts......only lasted ten weeks! Obviously, it was way down the 'TOPPER' popularity list, hence this very short run.

Although I found this first page slightly sinister, it's great to see it again almost 4 decades later..... I'm keeping this imagery on disc. The artwork is clearly by Andrew Christine in the weekly comic.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

At least it got a proper conclusion instead of just saying "he'll be back soon" and never returning, as some strips did.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Batty in Topper had long stories..
Winker Watson...Brassneck..

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... ceman.html

see John Dallas version.and thanks again Phil R

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Desperate Dan was full of story arcs from 1946 to 1969 with some lasting over six months and others only a couple of weeks. Some were more serial-type than others though, with proper story development from one week to the next, while others where
bound together by virtue of featuring a guest character for a time eg Dog-Ears Montana.
Come to think of it Dudley Watkins did several serials when he was working on the Broons and Oor Wullie too. The Broons V Blacks fued and Wullie on his uncle's farm being two examples. Oh! and not forgetting the classic Granpaw comes to stay series
which culminated at Xmas 1950.