I. Spy - the `years of decline, Sparky & Champ

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

alanultron5

Re: I. Spy - the `years of decline, Sparky & Champ

Post by alanultron5 »

The next I. Spy Sparky book strip was the 1978 dated issue! In this four pager (the briefest ever I. Spy/ Sparky book entry) Boss and I. Spy attend the `Spies Annual Outing` I. Spy gets attacked by other spies- but it is just a test to keep him entertained! Sadly-very poor fare indeed in my view with James Fox' artwork seemingly, to me, not as good as his regular comic offerings-but its only an opinion!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The final original `I.Spy` strip published was in the Sparky book dated 1979! It was a strange story! A gang who are after Spy H.Q safe send `Baba coward` to get it! Baba is a huge & portly man/Baby dressed in a romper suit! He is terrified of everything and the Gang threaten to tell him `Ghost Stories` if he doesn't obey!

`Baba Coward` it turns out-when in the grip of fear-becomes extroadinarily strong-and gives I. Spy an awful time!

I.Spy manages to `use` Baba's strenght by making him run amok through the gang and knocking them out! Baba is subdued by I. Spy who warns him he'll show him a Spider if he doesn't come quietly!

In all, a very bizzarre conclusion to the I. Spy strip in `Sparky` but it would appear again in another Thomson comic in the mid 1980's This strip I will comment on next!

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Not entirely to the point, but I though the looks of a certain character in this strip surely do look familiar, don't they?

From Whoopee! and Shiver & Shake dated 26th October, 1974:

Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Certainlt does! Most enlightening! I never knew of that one! I'm sure Rab (Ispyshhhguy) will be facinated! Many thanks for putting it on! :D :D

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have a vague memory of this story.....brilliantly stylish artwork by BRIAN here.

This is well worth including on here, and many thanks, klakadak! That 'skeleton keys'gag is an out-and-out corker, in fact the whole set is an absolute beaut.

The following page illustrates the third Scottish spy within the saga: the first-ever foe was HOOTS Mc BAGPIPES in the second-ever story, followed by AYE Mc SPY, the central baddie-turned goodoe in the third serial. Here we see a very similar-concieved HOOTS Mc BEEF, who shares many similarities with his stereotypical predecessor, even to the point where I got my memories wrong and associated the 'sawmill/motorized caber' gag with Mc SPY.

The calibre of visual gags is very high in this story:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Strange that? Why not just bring back `Hoots McBagpipe`? The `script` I find is not even to par with old `Hoot's` debut! A shame!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

We come now to `Champ` comic! When it commenced in mid 1984 it had a four page `fun` section hosted by Dennis & Gnasher (Quite the most insipid portrayal of both I have ever seen!) Old Thomson strip were repeated such as "Send For Kelly" and "Puss and Boots"

Best though-was a new `I. Spy` strip, which in a strange move, ran along the bottom four pages of the section!

The new I. Spy strip was drawn by Brian Walker and presumably written by him too. It was `pun` based and very silly indeed! In fact, it became rather childish stuff in my opinion!

Anyway- As well as I. Spy and Boss, three other old time characters from the Sparky strip appeared throughout the 1984/5 run!

Topping appearances with 29 was `Aye McSpy` who made himself something of a nuisance throughout! Mastermind was next with 26 showings and Mr X with just 11.

Mr X and Mastermind were more like naughty kids in the schoolyard rather than major villians now. This new slant actually suited Mastermind with his grandiose manner and affectations-but Mr X didn't work as well, due to his `cold` image of old.

I will expand on the stories in the run next posting!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes! The `Champ` I. Spy strip was ultra-light hearted! One strange story had I. Spy receiving the "This is Your Life" treatment! His Mom & Dad popped on as well as the foes he's tackled over the years! Finally it was announced "This is Your Wife!!" - and his `wife` came on to nag the hell out of him! Turned out it was all a bad dream.

Another story had Aye McSpy start up a band. I. Spy joined in as did Mr X on penny whistle. Finally Mastermind arrived on a huge Wurlitzer organ! All played along merrily till the `Champ` editor told them the noise was too much!

Another story featuring principal players was Xmas 1984! Aye McSpy, Mr X and Mastermind all giving I. Spy less than welcome Christmas gifts!.

More Anon!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

What on Earth were I SPY'S parents like, Alan?!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

His Mom was a blond and his dad -like I.Spy-had his hat covering his features! Both wore long black `raincoats` which to some minds might be a bit `kinky`!

Anyhow! The Champ I. Spy series gave Mastermind a chance to shine with some very bizarre inventions by him. He devised flying false choppers to pull off bank raids and later a pair of `sweaty socks` to do like-wise!

One Aye McSpy story copied the "Ghost of Mr X" idea by having McSpy cut Scotland away from rest of UK, tow it to the South Atlantic where he ruled it like a King!

Sadly, the Mr X' stories were scarce and didn't seem to gell! Mr X doesn't lend himself too readily to knockabout comedy!

I shall unveil the final I.Spy/Champ story next post!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Before I reveal the final story , I must mention that the format of the strip changed from issue 30. Up to then it had been a `strip` along bottom of four pages! From No 30 it was a three quarter page effort in partial colour! Black, White, Red & Yellow were deployed, giving the strip the look of old 2-strip technicolour films!

Anyhow! The final I. Spy in Champ 85 (Champ was absorbed by `Victor` comic from next week) is called "Operation Re-fit" I. Spy goes into hospital for full overhaul-biologically and mechanically! As he gets dressed again-marching into the ward are Aye McSpy, Mr X, Mastermind and a phalanx of `lesser` villians!

McSpy, X & Mastermind are carrying flowers. Mastermind states they are sorry for bieng such a nuiscance to I. Spy over the years-but hope he is better....so that they can continue to annoy him!!!

I.Spy has had enough and drags Boss off with him and both walk into the sunset!

That was it for I. Spy in Thomson comics (Apart from reprints) His only other `appearance` since 1985 was in 2000 in `Dandy Fun Size No 63` the story by (and drawn) Lew Stringer. Lew told me in a P.M it was an `original` story!

If your'e `listening` Lew-could we see a bit of the story if possible please? I have been trying to track down a copy of Dandy Fun Size No 63 in vain so far!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It was reprinted recently wasn't it?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

It was? Where was that please Andy?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote: If your'e `listening` Lew-could we see a bit of the story if possible please? I have been trying to track down a copy of Dandy Fun Size No 63 in vain so far!
I have a spare copy if you want to PayPal me a couple of quid to cover the cost of the comic and p&p. (I'm not ripping you off. I had to buy my own copies.)

By the way; I didn't write it. Only drew it. I can't remember who wrote it now.

PM me if you're interested.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

alanultron5 wrote:It was? Where was that please Andy?
I'm pretty sure I saw it reprinted in a recent Fun Size Dandy. Could be wrong *e-mails and checks*