"The `I. Spy` Years 1969 - 2.000"

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

alanultron5

Re: "The `I. Spy` Years 1969 - 2.000"

Post by alanultron5 »

The next story is perhaps one of the `forgotton` classics of the series!

STORY 3, `THE SKYWAYMEN` ( 6 Episodes, 21st August – 25th September 1971).

The series third story ranks as perhaps the most innovative and invigorating of the full seven year run of `I. Spy` series in `Sparky` comic. It differed from every other of the longer 1969-71 stories in that no single major villain tackled our hero, no, it was a small collective who were the villains here, though they had a leader of sorts.

Though the concept seemed totally original to me on first reading this tale in 2009, it did spark off a memory of a fun strip in another DC Thomson comic which I think gave writer, Peter Clark inspiration for the concept he employed at the heart of this fascinating entry. I will reveal the possible `source` at end of last episode review.

EPISODE ONE. 21st August 1971.

At Spy H.Q, I. Spy is unveiling his latest device to Boss. It is an invention of his own which he calls “Auto Hound” as he explains to Boss, “its supposed t` be able t’ track down anything from a battleship to a jam butty”

Meanwhile, up on a lonely mist moor, a heavy duty gold bullion van is on its way to deliver its valuable load when the engine suddenly cuts out bringing it to a halt. As the driver begins an examination of the engine, his compatriot keeps an armed watch. Both notice how low the clouds that have covered the sky are becoming. In seconds, both men are enveloped by heavy fog-like cloud as the immediate area is blanketed by the cloud.

A few seconds later the cloud lifts, but there is no sign of the van, both men are stunned and horrified! A message relays through Spy H.Q Tannoy speaker which has tuned in to the police broadcast of the vanished van on Misty Moor. I. Spy seizes the opportunity,

“Ah, here’s our chance to try out little electronic what’s – his – name . . . “

Up on Misty moor the police have arrived in force and are busy questioning the security guards bizarre story when they are interrupted by I. Spy’s auto hound which flies around their legs electronically sniffing for clues.

I. Spy, “Stand aside men. Auto – Hound will soon track the truck down.”

Suddenly, the contraption gives out a loud `Bleeping` alert and starts flying straight up into the sky. I. Spy follows by rocket motor carrying Boss along with him as they follow auto-hound’s trail. Boss just cannot believe what the machine is doing as they close in on a heavy cloudbank many thousands of feet up,

Boss, “But this is crazy, I. Spy – auto – hound’s a fake! How could a ten ton truck get up here?”

That instant, Boss’ doubts are answered as they suddenly see the truck, floating serenely within the cloudbank with all doors wide open. I. Spy and Boss enter the rear of the vehicle where the gold had been stored, even I. Spy can’t answer to why the vehicle is floating among the clouds.

As he and Boss scour the now empty compartment, the rear doors suddenly shut!

I. Spy, “Aye – aye! The door’s slammed shut!”

Boss, “Heh! Gulp! J – just the wind – I hope!”

Unseen by both, an arm reaches from part of the cloudbank and deftly turns the key in the lock of the closed doors, trapping the duo. I. Spy tells Boss “THAT’S not the wind”

The next instant the truck lurches downward on a full dive towards solid ground!

I. Spy, “Methinks that whatever was holding this truck suspended at ten thousand feet . . . has suddenly ceased to do so . . . with the result that we are plunging downwards at a high rate of knots . . . “

Boss, “G – Gulp! DO something I. Spy!”

Down they plunge from 10.000 feet . . . CAN THEY escape before the CRUNCH?

This opening episode was a beautiful mystery. How was the truck abducted? Why did it float up high for so long? And, who was behind the robbery? It was in the best traditions of the `I. Spy` series in presenting its readers with a fascinating puzzle to try and solve!

The invention of Auto-Hound by I. Spy himself wasn’t such a novel concept as would seem if one recalls that after his experience after `Operation I. Spy / Grab` he spent time repairing his own devices. No doubt that Spy H.Q still employed `boffins` to invent and service I. Spy’s devices, but this story gave definite proof that he actually devised some himself.

EPISODE TWO. 28th August 1971.

As the gold bullion van plunges earthward I. Spy deploys his super-saw to the interior, but it breaks on the toughened steel surface. With time fast running out he now unleashes his cannon, “Take cover Boss. I’ll have t’ blast a way out with me gun. One high explosive shell in the breech . . . here goes . . . “

The blast produces a dent and a small gap in the steel plating which I. Spy quickly enlarges with his super-jack. With only thirty feet from the ground left to reach, I. Spy jets Boss and himself through the enlarged gap with auto-hound, on its own power, leading the way to freedom. The bullion car is smashed to smithereens as the dauntless duo follow auto-hound which has picked up a trail.

Not far away, back up in the upper atmosphere, a large jet airliner is streaking through the clouds when suddenly its engines all cease in an instant. Though now motionless and powerless, the plane still somehow continues to float serenely among the cloudbanks as though held aloft by some strange force. To the air crew’s amazement, a force of seven men dressed like 17th century highwaymen walk along a wing and force entry.

The strangely dressed men speak in old English as they make their demands,

“If Ye All Be Still, Ye Will Not Be Harmed! `Tis The Gold Bullion This Winged Galleon Carries Which We Seek.”

At that very moment, I. Spy and Boss have arrived just behind auto-hound to witness the incredible sight of the plane stranded in mid air.

CAN I. SPY STOP THIS AMAZING SKYWAY ROBBERY? Don’t Miss Next Week’s Story!

The second episode unveiled even more mystery to readers! Who were the mysterious “Skywaymen” (As the text informed) and were they really from the 17th century? If they were, then how did they seemingly possess a futuristic force that both halted machines and could hold them aloft high up in the sky?

The scenes of the `stranded` jet airliner were superbly depicted by Brian Walker who really shone in this type of spectacular display of artwork.

Another nice touch was the bold type given to the Skywaymen’s speech bubbles that highlighted their olde worlde manner of speech.

It was turning out to be one of the most intriguing `I. Spy` stories ever!

EPISODE THREE. 4th September 1971.

As The `Skywaymen` begin to depart with their haul of gold, one of their number
gives a warning to their leader,

“Captain – Ye Mysterious Dark Stranger Comes!”

The `Dark Stranger` is I. Spy (and Boss) who find themselves surrounded by pointed cannons jutting out from the clouds about them. All guns fire as I. Spy quickly takes evasion manoeuvres which cause Boss to fall off his back!

As all cannonballs miss their target, I. Spy despatches auto-hound to fetch the falling Boss. In seconds, the mechanical bloodhound returns holding Boss via its front suction snout. With Boss back on board, I. Spy follows auto-hound which leads them lower, over the sea to a cloud which seems to be heading in a direction of its own purpose.

I. Spy, “Good old Auto-Hound he’s on their trail again . . . and getting close . . . we’re headed for the cloud – and so’s that ship! I wonder . . . “

Using his binoculars, I. Spy makes out the ship is the “M.V Crest” which carries gold bullion, he anticipates another robbery. But as he and Boss land aboard the carrier, one of the Skywaymen has spotted him through a hand held telescope and given the alarm,

“Captain! `Tis The Stranger Again!” His leader makes plans,

“So! Methinks `Tis Time His Wings were Clipped!”

As I. Spy and Boss wait behind the ships funnel they do not notice that the cloud has now sank down to only just above their heads. From the bottom of the cloud a pair of arms descends to make ready to grab Boss. Only auto-hound spots the danger, but Boss dismisses its beeped warning cry and I. Spy is too intent in his watch for the villains to notice any danger.

Seconds later, the ships engines, as had the plane’s previous, cut out leaving it dead in the waters. A voice from the low cloud cries out, “Stand And Deliver!!” I. Spy and auto-hound jet forward ready to intercept but are halted by the sight of the Skywaymen holding pistols to a captured Boss’ head. Another villain hits auto-hound with a shot, totally destroying the creation as the one aiming at Boss orders “Drop Your Gun, I. Spy – “

Next Week. I.SPY Is Forced To Help The Highwaymen!

Another very good episode, laced with lovely artwork from Brian Walker who was obviously finding much inspiration from the stories sheer originality.
Auto-Hound seemed almost to be alive in the way it behaved. It must have got readers thinking the `creation` might be a permanent addition to the series; sadly, the destruction of it at the conclusion of this episode would crush any hopes of this possibility.

One possible error was the villains suddenly knowing I. Spy by name at episode’s final panel. Previously they had only known him as the “Mysterious Dark Stranger” An error in plotting? Maybe, but to be kind, perhaps they heard Boss call I. Spy by title when only just above the pair in that low cloud bank, when about to abduct poor Boss!

EPISODE FOUR. 11th September 1971.

One of the Skywaymen holding Boss hostage at gunpoint gives an order to I. Spy,

“Tell The Skipper, I Want The Keys To The Gold Vault – And No Tricks . . . “

Arms raised in surrender, I. Spy relays the orders to the ships captain who tells them he `doesn’t` have the keys, that they are held by customs officers who open the safe when they dock. I. Spy thinks this has stymied the villain’s plans, but one of them orders the plans to the ship be brought at once.

Studying the ships layout from the plans, the Skywaymen order that I. Spy will open the safe which lies in the strong room for them, else Boss dies! I. Spy tells them to “GET LOST!” but the response is a direct threat to execute Boss. I. Spy can see they mean it and so he utilises his buzz saw to cut a hole in the wooden upper deck, down into the strong room directly below.

In the strong room, I. Spy declares the safe is too tough to cut open and tells four of Boss’ captors he will have to blow it open. He advises them to take cover as he does. They take cover as he lights dynamite sticks tied to each corner of the safe, warning him, “No Tricks!”

The dynamite turns out to actually be four small rockets which lift the safe up through the deck. As it does, I. Spy quickly unleashes his extendible mallet which knocks out the four Skywaymen who had taken cover waiting for the detonation which never came. Up on deck, the other three who still hold Boss are amazed and furious as the safe crashes up through the ships deck.

Seeing their booty fly away, the lead Skywayman points his pistol at Boss,

“So I. Spy Has Cheated Us – And Signed Your Death Warrant!”

But, as he fires, Boss disappears down through another hole cut in the deck by I. Spy’s narrow wood saw. Back up through the hole that Boss has dropped through, jet powered boxing gloves clobber the remaining Skywaymen who are neatly all tied up together with rope by I. Spy. He tells the ships crew the safe will land at Dover customs office.

As I. Spy, Boss and ships crew peer into the low cloud which I. Spy decides to investigate, none see the captive gang slowly rise from the ships deck as if weightless and up into the low cloud. Seconds later the ships captain does notice the `escape` and I. Spy jets up into the low cloud in pursuit. As he travels into the interior of the cloud there is no sign of his quarry, “Hmm! They’ve vanished into thin air!”

But! Seconds later as he reaches the centre of the cloud an incredible sight greets him!

“OH! MY GIDDY AUNT!”

To I. Spy’s utter amazement he is confronted by the unbelievable sight of a portcullis and drawbridge right at the heart of the billowing clouds!

NEXT WEEK – THE SINISTER SECRET IN THE CLOUDS!

WOW! What a stunning cliff-hanger episode four ended with! The sight of drawbridge and portcullis to what ever lies beyond must, in my rating, be one of the top five ever best `I. Spy` episode endings of all time.

I really wish I had read this story back in 1971, but I had only just stopped taking Sparky comic earlier that year. But! It was a very pleasant surprise indeed on getting the 1971 issues of the comic in 2009 to enjoy this tale for the very first time.

One seeming mistake to report is one of the gang calling the Skywayman leader “Major” instead of Captain. I reckon the rigours of getting such a high quality tale completed each week was taking a toll on writer Peter Clark and you have to allow for human error. Still, it’s only a small blip.

EPISODE FIVE. 18th September 1971.

As the drawbridge begins to rise, I. Spy quickly jets inside before it slams to! He is stunned to find himself both confronted by the armed Skywaymen and by the sight of a 17th century town that incredibly is nestling inside the clouds!

“SO! We Have You In Our Grasp At Last I. Spy . . . “one of the gang rejoins.

I. Spy is too stunned by the sight of the floating town to realise he is at gunpoint, he exclaims, “WOW! A floating town, how on earth . . . ?”

“Ye Shall Have Your Answers Later I. Spy. But First . . . Raise Your Hands If You Please!”

I. Spy is dismissive of their archaic weaponry and tries to unleash his cannon, but to his surprise it doesn’t operate! One of the Skywaymen explains that none of his devices will work here because they are nullified by their `reactor`!

As they hold the now helpless Spy they relay their origins. They are descended from alchemists who strived to create more gold, from gold they owned. This, they never achieved, but they did discover that when their own gold was subjected to certain chemical process it gave off a ray which defied the forces of gravity and movement.

Sadly, for these alchemists, they became hunted as witches and were forced to build a large enough reactor to float their whole village into the clouds where subsequent generations have existed to this day!

I. Spy asks why they have turned to crime to obtain gold to which he is informed these `younger` townsfolk (the Skywaymen) are not content like their elders to live peaceably. They relate that the others in the town do not realise the power at their fingertips. They now show I. Spy the reactor that both powers their town and is neutralising his devices; it is similar to a collection of chemistry tubes, jars and valves and about two metres in height and width. One of the gang continues their tale,

“So We Have Taken Over – And Built This Giant Reactor” (I. Spy is now shown a huge version of the town powering device which is at least 20 times larger) The Skywayman continues, “ With This We Can Lift A Whole City . . . Bring A Whole Continent To A Halt . . . HOLD THE WHOLE WORLD TO RANSOM . . . “

I. Spy asks what has stopped them from achieving their aims so far. A Skywayman points two pistols menacingly at his head stating that only the lack of a big enough supply of gold to power the device has held them back, especially as I. Spy has recently frustrated their efforts and they now have to put him out of their way.

They force him into a circular walled arena which has another large iron grille door opposite the one they close behind him. I. Spy isn’t unduly worried as he points upward,

“Oh, I say, chaps. Is this the BEST y’ can do? This cell’s got no roof! What if it rains?”

One of his captors replies that it isn’t a cell and they doubt if he will be worrying about rain. As this reply is given the iron grille opposite the one he was forced through slowly rises to allow two huge fierce bears to enter the arena. I. Spy sums up his situation succinctly,

“Gulp! A couple of over-grown teddy bears . . . AND ME WITH ALL MY SECRET DEVICES OUT OF ACTION . . “

NEXT WEEK – THE FINAL BATTLE!

This really was an amazing episode! The Skywaymen’s origins were just incredible! I will comment at the end of the story just where I think writer Peter Clark may have drawn inspiration from for the imaginative concept.

Yes! A whole town that has floated amongst the clouds for at least three hundred years was an utter delight. It explains why the present day inhabitants still spoke and dressed as they did, having virtually no contact with modern day society.

I did wonder how the Skywaymen could deal with I. Spy as they seemed totally out gunned, but the answer was a gem! Their reactor which held their society aloft also totally negated all I. Spy’s devices which for the first time since he was stripped of (almost all of) them in `Operation I. Spy` rendering him helpless apart from his wits!

I did wonder how the town and its peoples got food in and dealt with their waste (one heck of a cry of “Gardy Loo!” needed there!) but this is being pedantic and I am very happy to enjoy the sheer inventiveness of the whole strip.

This was the second story where villains were solely after gold. Mr Tempest in series one, needed it to power his `sun blocking machine` here, the Skywaymen needed it to power their huge `anti gravity reactor`.

All I. Spy’s’ weapons were nullified, then why did the Skywaymen’s guns and cannons still function? Though of archaic design they still fired in the same way as I. Spy’s cannon `would have` bit more artistic license I suppose.

Finally, it was one of those-by now- very rare episodes where Boss Spy makes no appearance.

EPISODE SIX. 25th September 1971.

Faced by two fierce bears and with all his devices rendered useless I. Spy has to dodge flailing claws and think fast. He reaches for something the reactor won’t have affected, “Gulp! Here goes! I’ll take a few Anti – dizziness pills an’ hope I can out-run the hairy beasts!”

Round and round the arena sprints I. Spy chased hotly by the bears until at last the ursine beasts finally succumb to dizzy spells and begin to falter. Seizing his chance, I. Spy now swallows a couple of super strength pills, the ones he had taken from his deadly nemesis Mr X after their last encounter. With strength from the pills, he lands knockout blows to both bears.

To his surprise, a rope is lowered from the rim of the arena by more towns folk. Climbing up, I. Spy is grateful but asks why `these` folks are helping him, unlike their counterparts. They reply that they are a peaceful faction of the society and just want to live in peace.

At that moment, down on earth, the rogue Skywaymen have just robbed a lorry carrying a gold filled safe and are in the act of having it hoisted aloft via the town’s reactor power.

Back in the clouds one of the friendly town’s people explains to I. Spy that the only way to empower him is to switch off the reactor – “But do that . . . AND OUR VILLAGE PLUNGES TO IT’S DOOM!”

I. Spy can see their point but only needs the reactor off for a couple of seconds. He puts it to the people that only he can deal with their rebels and it is the only way they can then be free to live in peace. That very moment the Skywaymen are nearing the drawbridge with the safe and their approach is heralded to I. Spy who tells his helpers they have to decide now, “Raise the drawbridge! Well, mates – what’s it to be? Quickly now – “

They make their decision, “RIGHT! WE WILL DO AS YOU ASK I. SPY!”

I. Spy now sets his rocket motors to on mode as the reactor is now switched off. Instantly he jets up and away as the whole town begins to fall. One panicked villager cries for it to be switched back on, but the others hold to the plan.

Outside, the Skywaymen cry out in terror,

“AAARGH! WE ARE FALLING!”

“THE REACTOR MUST HAVE FAILED!”

In a second, I. Spy has caught them all in his large net as the safe crashes back to ground, or more precisely, the lorry which carried it and is now crushed by the impact! I. Spy, carrying his haul signals the friendly town’s folk they can switch the reactor back on which they promptly do so with the town a bare few hundred feet from ground.

The friendly villagers wave goodbye to I. Spy as he hauls the rebels off to jail. He promises never to divulge their secret to anyone else.

Back at Spy H.Q once I. Spy has handed the Skywaymen over to the authorities, Boss is desperate to know what went on,

“. . . but how did the Skywaymen do it, I. Spy – float about in mid – air an’ such like, I mean? Eh!”

“Aha! THAT is a long story, Boss. Some other time, right now - I’m for a kip . . . “

NEXT WEEK . . . THE MATICMEN RETURN!

I think this is a tremendous story, one of the top seven I. Spy tales of all time. It had perhaps the most original and totally bizarre premise out of all the first three series longer stories. `The Skywaymen` I regard as easily the best story of series three.

However, I think that writer Peter Clark might have drawn some inspiration from a 1963 fun strip in sister comic the `Topper`, which ran the fun strip “Toad-In-The- Hole” this featured a town which became cut off from the rest of English society back in the 17th century when becoming surrounded by deep bog land.

The town and its people never progressed in the fashion of the rest of the nation and so they still lived and spoke in 17th century fashion. There were a couple of paths through the bog lands which younger, more inquisitive towns folk would brave to venture out into the modern world, but this was shunned on by the towns elders as they were rather happy with the way they lived and didn’t want the modern world to encroach upon their society. “Toad-In-The-Hole” ran from 1963 to 1965 if I recall correctly!

Back to the strip, and I did wonder what would become of the apprehended Skywaymen after their term in jail. Could they ever adjust to 1970’s society? Anyway, it is only a `fun` strip so such concepts shouldn’t be delved into too deeply really.
Very interesting was I. Spy needing Mr X’ `Super Strength Pills` to help him defeat the bears! It was never stated they were X’s pills this story, but in the next, colour series, it did make clear that I. Spy `had` got hold of a supply of Mr X’ special pills, hence my assumption here.

Episode six was expanded to three pages which was a very welcome move, but there would be no full time return to the three page format, only the occasional expansion when plotting demanded it.

A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

On Monday (hopefully!) we will see the last of the `Great` I. Spy adventures!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Here we go!

STORY 4. “THE RETURN OF THE MATICMEN” (6 Episodes, 2nd October – 6th November 1971.

The fourth and final entry of the third season brought back the deadliest `weapons` that I. Spy had ever faced, the awesome `Matic men` this also meant a fourth appearance of the one villain that maybe writer (Peter Clark) and artist (Brian Walker) along with fans such as myself, regard as the series deadliest opponent for I. Spy; `Mr Mastermind`

EPISODE ONE. 2nd October 1971.

There is only one incumbent at high security `pencilville prison` a super villain so deadly and regarded so dangerous that not only has the whole prison been designated solely for this arch criminal, but a small army of prison officers have been assigned to keep this top crook under lock and key; none other than `Mr Mastermind`

Mastermind is reposing in his cell when one of his warders enters carrying a rather dishevelled edible item on a small tray,

“Mornin` - someone’s sent you another cake, Mastermind, but . . . “

“MISTER Mastermind to you, my man! Now . . . you were saying?”

The warder is interrupted by his prize captive who stands imperiously (though attired in common prison fatigues) on his sparse bed as the warder gleefully explains how the cake was searched for `hidden files`. Mastermind is scornful as he views the scrambled cake,

“TSAH! As if an arch- villain of my standing would stoop to such a trick . . . “

Once the warder has left, Mastermind trawls through the segments on the tray picking out what look to be small currants
“Heh! No – I’m MUCH cleverer than that. Little do the fools know that the `currants` in this cake are tiny valves and transistors . . . the last I need . . . “

He moves to his cell wall and presses on one of the large stones that it was constructed from. The stone depresses slightly with a `Click! ` . This results in another stone, two rows lower, dropping down on two hinged levers to reveal a small but powerful radio transmitter, cunningly hidden by Mastermind. He dons a small pair of headphones built into the set and begins to tap out a coded signature across the airwaves.

Many miles away, deep in the heart of the countryside lay the ruins of Mastermind’s second headquarters; the mansion-castle where he and I. Spy almost died in the huge explosion which seemingly did kill `Mahairee Yogi` and `Mr Tempest`. Beneath the ruins in a deep set vault there stand six large steel boxes that are connected to a receiver. Masterminds transmission is picked up and each box swings its heavy door open to reveal six of Mastermind’s dreaded Maticmen.

In a few hours, the huge robots are marching in a straight line through the city of London pushing aside all traffic, smashing through walls and clearing a path through anything and everything that might be in their way.

At Spy H.Q the tannoy announces to I. Spy (and a shocked Boss) that mechanical men are marching on Pencilville Prison.

I. Spy, “Pencilville! That’s where Mastermind is – gasp! They must be MATICMEN!”

Boss, “M – Maticmen?! B – but you destroyed them all!”

In seconds, I. Spy and Boss are rocketing across the city following the trail of destruction that leads to the jail. At the inner gates startled warders reel back in terror as the maticmen rip open the heavy steel gates as if they were made of just paper! As the maticmen burst through, one of the warder’s runs to phone for help.

From his cell window on the fifth floor, Mastermind looks down in pride as his creations follow into the courtyard in single file,

“Ah, my beauties! My magnificent maticmen mark two – absolutely invincible, well done, well done. Now then –“

Mastermind halts his rejoicing temporarily as he spots the figures of I. Spy and Boss jetting towards the broken gates of the prison, he is not worried in the least,

“– WELL, WELL!! Look who’s here. I. Spy . . . hee – hee! Time for some target practice, methinks . . . “

The maticmen have detected I. Spy and their hands instantly drop down on hinged wrists to reveal their deadly arm cannon facilities. I. Spy has to move quickly,
“WOO – OOPS! They’ve spotted us. Better take cover – “

He and Boss fly to behind the exterior prison wall as the maticmen shells burst through what remains of the gates, “YAH! MISSED! Taunts I. Spy, but the next second shells detonate right where Boss and he had stood.

MORE THRILLS NEXT WEEK!

The first episode of `Return of the Maticmen` didn’t feature I. Spy until the second page; only `The Mr X Mystery` and `The Seven Stone Superman` had similarly left our hero from the first page, but `Return` was only a two –page strip now, so it was pretty unusual. In fact the whole story features more of villain, `Mr Mastermind` than I. Spy. I will comment more on this at the final summary following episode six.

Mastermind had obviously laid out contingency plans in case of incarceration, hence the arrangement of having cakes with hidden devices sent to him once jailed. He had obviously planned well ahead. His umbrage at the warder calling him just “Mastermind” was a nice touch that reinforced his `imperious` traits to the full. I do think such a high security prison would have detected those mini-transistors. Today, Mastermind would have implemented Silicon Chip technology.

Even `Mr X` never received such high intensity security of having the whole prison allocated to keep him under lock and key with a small army of warders to check on him, a `privilege` only reserved by the authorities for Mastermind. Mind you! You would think the prison would have some sort of scanners – even in 1971- to check incoming items sent to their sole captive!

The `Mark Two Maticmen` were seemingly the same models as the Les Barton drawn fellows, but further episodes would reveal they possessed upgrades to their functions.

EPISODE TWO., 9th October 1971.

Rejoicing at the seeming demise of I. Spy (and Boss) Mastermind, from his fifth floor cell window, instructs his maticmen to operate “Plan X”. The six robots then fall flat to the ground in single file just as I. Spy gingerly lifts a nearby manhole cover that he and Boss managed to dive down just in time. Both have to retreat back down as the file of maticmen drop to the ground.

As I. Spy formulates a plan to Boss wherein he realises the maticmen would be helpless without their creator, the fifth maticman in the file begins to extend its arms on hydraulics thereby lifting the joined file of robots that, as they rise are revealed to be standing on the shoulders of the one below. The whole file becomes vertical with the top robot now level with Mastermind’s cell. Quickly it rips apart the bars of the window and several stones to allow its leader to escape.

Once on the ground Mastermind dusts himself off while expressing his desire to get out of his humiliating prison attire. As he does so, the manhole cover opens again and I. Spy is just about to clamp a pair of extendible grabs about the villain’s ankles when a sudden roaring noise from high above causes Mastermind to wheel about foiling I. Spy’s attempt. Mastermind spots jet fighters that have obviously been called by a prison warder,

“WHAT? Aircraft! Maticmen – PROTECT ME!”

Instantly, five of his robots form a protective shield about their boss as bombs and rockets unleashed by the fighters detonate all about. The sixth maticman stands apart, firing its weaponry at the fighters.

Minutes later, I. Spy and a rather dishevelled Boss emerge again from the manhole, I. Spy is fuming,

“BAH! Stupid bloomin’ airforce! Don’t they know there’s not a bomb or shell in existence that can harm the Maticmen? And Mastermind within my grasp too – now he’s clean away . . . let’s get on the trail, Boss . . . “

Meanwhile, not that far away, Mastermind is inspecting his creations. Though utterly unharmed by the `bombardment` there is something Mastermind has noticed about their `look`

“Tisk! Tisk! What a mess these nasty planes have made of your clothes (The robots usual attire of raincoat and trousers haven’t survived without damage) come – we must ALL get new ones . . . “

In minutes Mastermind and his `men` have commandeered a west end tailors shop and soon his robots are fitted with outsize casual wear while Mastermind outfits himself in the finest and most expensive pin striped two-piece in the premises. He now decides he and his men need a fitting residence and orders his `number six` man to fetch a paper so he can see what’s available.

Mastermind only needs a glance at the headline page which relays the news that the royal family are on tour, to make his decision that as Buckingham Palace is now vacant he and his team will now reside there. First though, he declares that he must have a car! As he and his men depart the tailors, outside, Boss Spy exits from a special Disguised Spy Post Box. Behind him, still in the box, I. Spy gives instructions,

“Right, Boss – get these X –Ray photo’s I’ve taken of the Maticmen to H.Q. for examination. Gotta find out what makes them tick. Meanwhile – I’ll tail `em . . . “

As Boss heads on his way Mastermind and `men` are now in control of a car show room where despite the assistant’s assertion that a plush Rolls Royce on display has already been sold, Mastermind is insistent,

“Quite right – it’s sold TO ME! Isn’t that so!!?”

One of his maticmen, now adorned with chauffeurs hat and in the drivers seat, is attempting to start the machine but it just stutters to Mastermind’s chagrin,

“What’s wrong with the silly thing? Why will it not START?”

The assistant (who is now held aloft by his coat collar by a maticman) explains that the car has no petrol in it yet. Mastermind whips off his eye shades in more anger and orders his `numbers four and five` to “GET SOME PETROL!”

Minutes later to Mastermind’s delight they return carrying a petrol lorry which they bring crashing through the shops front display window. Mastermind is overjoyed,

“Ah, well done! That should be enough! Ho – ho – BUCKINGHAM PALACE, HERE WE COME!”

NEXT WEEK – THE BATTLE OF BUCKINGHAM PALACE!

There wasn’t much of I. Spy in episode two either! In fact on the second page, he was only heard (or his `speech bubble` read) inside the disguise post box in one panel.

The second episode showed Mastermind back to his more petulant persona (rather absent in `The Copycat`) he had to have his own way rather like a spoiled brat! It also showed his eyes in the penultimate panel to readers for the first time as he whipped his eye shades off in frustration.

Though the Maticmen were immune from bombs and rockets this episode, I. Spy was still able to somehow X-Ray them.

EPISODE THREE. 16th October 1971.

Tipping the whole petrol lorry vertical Mastermind’s robots fill the tank of the Rolls up. Mastermind and his troupe now drive on to Buckingham Palace. As they depart, I. Spy who is now standing by the fake post box throws a grappling hook with attached cable neatly snaring the cars rear bumper. Utilizing a small control box he turns a dial which sends the post box up into the air on rocket motors. Inside the Rolls, as it begins its flight upwards via hook and cable attached, Mastermind is taken completely by surprise,

“WH – WHAT’S GOING ON?”

I. Spy, “Heh-heh! You’re being posted old son – BY AIR MAIL! Ho-ho!”

Mastermind orders his men to execute “Plan E” which entails his robots leaping from the skyrocketing car and crashing to ground some hundreds of feet below. They make huge indentations in the solid concrete street below but each climb out utterly undamaged to even I. Spy’s amazement,

“Suffering secret agents – these tin creeps are INDESTRUCTIBLE!”

Mastermind has cut the rope attaching the car to the rocket post box and as it falls back each maticman positions itself carefully. They catch the car taking the impact by possessing spring suspension via the midriff sections of the casing which cushions Mastermind totally,

“Hah! Perfect – hardly felt the bump! Ho – ho – ho!”

I. Spy realises he cannot stop Mastermind and his creations and heads back to report to the Prime Minister. As his men gently lower the car to the ground, Mastermind, who is standing up through its sun roof is thoughtful,

“Hmm! That little ploy has a distinct I. Spy flavour about it . . . and I thought we’d disposed of him. But not to worry – he can’t stop us. Put me down men, and we’ll get on our way . . . “

While one drives, the other five maticmen push aside any traffic in the cars way as it proceeds towards the palace. Soon Mastermind is at the approach to the regal domicile but his suspicions are aroused by the seemingly unexposed path to the building. He checks via a strong pair of binoculars which bear out his wariness,

“So! Tanks hidden in the trees . . . an ambush, eh? Maticmen, ATTACK!”

All six robots now take on the hidden tanks unleashing their arm cannons which blast away furiously as Mastermind calmly waits inside the Rolls. Soon all tanks are destroyed and Mastermind and his men enter through the palace gates just as I. Spy and Boss arrive to witness the carnage,

I. Spy, “Tsk! I warned the generals – I told `em nothing could harm the maticmen, c’mon Boss – let’s get back and see if my X – ray photo’s of the maticmen give us a clue how to beat `em!”

Inside Buckingham Palace, the maticmen sweep aside the royal guardsmen as Mastermind enters and stands triumphantly in front of the throne itself! “Ya-ha-ha! Here we are then, men – this is it – our new home . . . cosy isn’t it? Ho-ho-ho!”

Next Week – I. SPY TURNS TRAITOR.

Sadly, there was some rather poor plotting in the third episode. This was where I. Spy fired the rocket post box up, taking along Mastermind and his men in the Rolls Royce. To what end? If to another jail then surely I. Spy knows that the maticmen would easily break out! Where `was` he trying to send Mastermind & co to? Only if the Post box had enough fuel to get to, say, the centre of the sun might his plan have worked!

It was also rather hard to accept as well that Mastermind had a plan already worked out in advance to deal with I. Spy’s particular `ploy` oh dear! Unfortunately the strain on writer Peter Clark did show with such examples as this.

The maticmen prove in this episode to be absolutely invulnerable; surviving a fall to ground that even Mr X’s huge, robust `Superspy` would not have stood the test of.

EPISODE FOUR. 23rd October 1971.

At the dining table in Buckingham Palace, Mastermind has just finished a top course meal that has been prepared and served by palace staff who have been cowered into submission by the threat from Mastermind’s maticmen.

Back at Spy H.Q one of the boffins is showing to I. Spy and Boss the results of I. Spy’s X-ray photo of a maticman, a highly complex photo that reveals a set of super hi-tech and intricately complex inner workings,

“The X-ray you took of the maticman shows a cunning electronic brain programmed to obey only Mr Mastermind’s voice I. Spy . . . remarkable bit of engineering too – they’re absolutely indestructible!”

I. Spy, “Hmm! Are they indeed? Well, there’s only one thing for it, then – c’mon Boss, we’d better report to the Prime Minister . . . “

Back at the palace Mastermind is getting bored and orders one of the staff to fetch a paper so he can see what entertainment is on in town. A butler with the paper is held aloft by a maticman so Mastermind can check its contents. He discovers that his favourite football team is playing a league game that afternoon and orders a phone be brought to him.

Minutes later the chairman of the team receives a call from Mastermind demanding to see the match. The chairman magnanimously informs him that a seat will be reserved, but this isn’t what Mastermind had in mind,

“Tsah! I’M not coming to YOU. I want your teams to come to ME! . . . my men should be along any minute to pick them up.”

That instant a maticman crashes through the grounds walls followed by more of the robots who bodily carry both sets of teams, and officials back to Buckingham Palace where Mastermind views their arrival from a high balcony. He orders the game to commence.

At Ten Downing Street the heads of the armed forces are boasting to a very weary looking P.M how their weapons will remove Mastermind from the palace when I. Spy and Boss enter. Catching the gist of the forces chiefs arguments I. Spy is unimpressed,

“All you’ll succeed in doing is SMASHING UP THE PALACE, you’ve ALREADY bombed, rocketed and shelled the maticmen and they came through WITHOUT A SCRATCH! They’re indestructible!”

All ask him what he would do. I. Spy’s reply staggers them as he announces that Boss and he are going to join Mastermind. Infuriated at this seeming betrayal the P.M and chiefs order I. Spy and Boss’ arrest and armed guards appear to arrest both. I. Spy acts fast and draws the guard’s guns away via a helicopter- bladed magnet. He jets himself and Boss away and off to Buckingham Palace.

As they near the palace, Boss is apprehensive,

“There’s the palace. D-do we HAVE t’ go through with this?”

“It’s the only way, Boss. Just do exactly as I say, and remember – the codeword is `Slave . . . “

WHAT IS I. SPY UP TO? FIND OUT NEXT WEEK!

This episode really showed Mastermind at his most imperious. Like a spoiled child he had to have things done his way-or else! The abducting of the football team was really pushing sheer daftness in the strip to highlight Mastermind’s grandiose whimsies, I reckon this idea was just padding out the story until the plot-such as it was – moved on.

There was a very impressively intricate drawing of maticmen innards via I. Spy’s `X-Ray` by Brian Walker. It clearly revealed their outer casings were barely ten centimetres in depth- so surely, they were composed of some type of super-alloy, say Tungsten and titanium? Otherwise how could any conventional metal, e.g. Tempered steel cope with the forces that they had easily withstood? A great pity the strip never disclosed exactly `what` the maticmen were composed of I think.

Why on earth didn’t I. Spy let the Prime Minister and forces chiefs know he was just pretending to `defect` to Mastermind? It certainly wasn’t a plot device to fool readers as the following panel revealed to them that he `was` out to deceive his foe. So why risk getting himself and Boss shot? I believe it to be a lapse in the writing which I can forgive to some extent with the pressure of conceiving the strip.

EPISODE FIVE. 30th October 1971.

Mastermind lords it over his `special` football match which his Maticmen (wearing football strips) are scoring all the goals. He petulantly ignores the referee’s cry of “Foul!” as he commandeers the result for his own enjoyment.

As I. Spy and Boss near the palace I. Spy repeats to Boss to act on the word “Slave”.

On the palace balcony, Mastermind is about to tune in to a television set brought to him to see if he is still on the news when he is shocked by the sudden landing, right next to him, by I. Spy and Boss,

“I – I. SPY! Gasp! Protect me maticmen –“

All six robots surround I. Spy and Boss weaponry aimed ready to fire as I. Spy speaks, “Oh call off your tin soldiers, Mastermind. I’ve not come to fight – I’ve come to join you. I’ve changed sides!”

Mastermind, “Haw! Do you expect me to believe THAT!”

That second, a news flash comes across on Mastermind’s television set reporting that Downing Street has issued a statement that I. Spy `has` turned traitor. Mastermind is still suspicious though,

“Hmm! RRRIGHT, I. Spy – throw down your arms – and no tricks! Heh! So I have you in my power at last eh?”

I. Spy unloads his weaponry, “Anything you say, old chap, your every wish is my command. I’m your slave . . . “
Hearing the code word sparks Boss into thought, “SLAVE! That’s the signal –“

Mastermind now starts to relax a little as I. Spy working for him is something he hoped for the first time they met,

“My slave! Ho – ho! I LIKE that! Heh – all right, I. Spy, I’ll play your little game, but remember . . . one trick and my maticmen will crush you. Now, why d’ you want to join me, eh?”

I. Spy plays to Mastermind’s vanity, “Simple! You’ve beaten me. I can’t go on bashing my head against a brick wall forever. I want to be on the winning side. So when do we take over the world?”

Mastermind now seems to be convinced, “heh! I believe you have seen sense at last. But I have no plans to take over the world THIS time, no – I simply intend to do whatever I want, and with my maticmen I can do that. They obey me and only me – and there’s nothing they cannot do for me . . . “

To demonstrate what he means, Mastermind despatches numbers “Two” and “Three” maticmen to create a swimming pool for him. Both creations march away from the palace on their mission. One of them takes over a powerful super-dredger at its berth by throwing its crew overboard and then taking the controls and steering a path through the city via the crunching jaws of the dredger.

The second maticman takes a huge mechanical digger and digs a large swimming pool shaped hole in the palace grounds. By now the dredger has reached the pool and cuts a channel to it which allows the water in the channel it made as it entered, to flow into the pool. Mastermind has changed into his swimming trunks and, now in affable mood gives I. Spy an invite,

“ –And presto! A swimming pool for Mr Mastermind. Coming for a dip I. Spy?”

“Er – no, thanks – had a busy day . . .”

As Mastermind dives in, I. Spy takes Boss aside behind some of the grounds bushes where both begin to quickly edit a tape made by a pocket tape recorder that I. Spy instructed Boss to tape every word of Mastermind’s on. Within seconds I. Spy has cut the tape into the required sections to play back Mastermind’s utterances in the prescribed manner. At that very moment Mastermind has finished his swim and notices the absence of his `guests` and angrily gives an order to his `men`

“What? Where’s I. Spy got to? FIND HIM! And if he gets up to any tricks – DESTROY HIM!”

WILL I. SPY’S PLAN WORK? Find Out Next Week!

The fifth episode expanded to three pages (it would be back to two next week) mostly to show Mastermind’s maticmen building his pool. The concept that a dredger could cut through the city might have worked if it was made from the same materials as the maticmen, otherwise, just unbelievable!

The episode certainly gave more dimension to the persona of villain Mastermind in that he `still` obviously hoped for I. Spy to work with, or rather `for` him. This was what he had wanted the first time they `clashed` in `The Amazing Mastermind Machines` epic and he actually became quite friendly to I. Spy on believing his foe was now allied with him. It is something that fellow super villain Mr X would have never entertained any notion for. So in one sense, Mr X was indeed I. Spy’s most implacable foe, but Mastermind – to me – was far more interesting for this!

Sadly, as well as plot flaws that I have underlined, some of the artwork in this story was, in my view, starting to pall a little. Certainly, Brian Walkers depictions of villain Mastermind just do not stand up to those superbly realised portraits of `The Copycat` story where Mastermind was drawn-in my view- to near perfection. Another lapse was Brian omitting, either by error or deliberately, the maticmen hands and wrists as they unleashed the arm cannons. Unfortunately, these `omissions` does look rather less than top notch work in my eyes.

It was a little strange to me that Mastermind revealed to I. Spy that he had no set plans of conquest, just to do as he pleased! I suppose it was a novel idea a villain having no real plan of action, but part of me suspects a `cop-out` for the writer (Peter Clark) from devising any real plot. I think it proves just how difficult the series had become to constantly come up with innovative ideas. I can easily understand this.

EPISODE SIX. 6th November 1971.

An enraged mastermind screams out his orders to the maticmen to seek out I. Spy and Boss and bring them to him. In seconds the awesome robots have tracked down the pair’s hiding place in the palace grounds shrubbery; but as they reach for the duo, I. Spy turns on the portable tape recorder which booms out the clever edit of Mastermind’s boasting,

“Maticmen – This is Mastermind – crackle – Now you will obey- crackle – I. Spy – crack – And only I. Spy – crackle . . . “

It works! The maticmen halt instantly awaiting their next orders-but not from Mastermind now who is still screaming that I. Spy and Boss be brought to him. I. Spy gives `his` instructions to the robots,

“Tsk! Old Mastermind’s getting impatient. All right chaps – take us to him . . . “

Both are hauled before Mastermind who now orders his creations to destroy them, but to no effect which causes the villain to scream in ever louder crescendo to,

“DESTROY THEM! I SAID DESTROY THEM!!”

I. Spy quietly orders the maticmen to release him and Boss and then tells `number two` to `cool down` Mastermind which it does by booting him back into the pool. He now instructs Mastermind be “Fished out” which is achieved by telescopic reach from one of the robots. Mastermind demands to know how I. Spy took away control of his maticmen,

I. Spy, “That would be telling! Now c’mon ashore an’ get some clothes on!”

Minutes later a fully attired Mastermind who I. Spy has fettered by the ankle to a ball and chain tries to figure out I. Spy’s next move,

“Huh! And NOW I suppose you’ll use MY maticmen to take over the world for YOURSELF . . . “

I. Spy’s reply horrifies him as the spy orders the creations,

“MATICMEN . . . DESTROY YOURSEVES!”

The maticmen attack each other and in seconds, as Mastermind weeps in utter desolation at the demise of his proud creations, they have reduced each other to rubble!

Outside the palace perimeter walls the armed forces have regrouped and via loud hailer give Mastermind an ultimatum to surrender or to be blown to bits. To the amazement of the General who issued the demand three figures exit via the main gate. I. Spy and Boss are accompanied by Mastermind who is pushing a wheelbarrow, heavily laden with what few remains of the maticmen are left.

“You were saying general - ?” I. Spy nonchalantly replies.

Later, back in the palace grounds as a precursor to incarceration, Mr Mastermind, under the watchful eyes of I. Spy, Boss and an armed soldier, is shovelling soil back into what had been his created swimming pool. I. Spy can’t resist a few choice words to his foe,

“C’mon Mastermind – you’ll have to work faster than that if you want to be finished in time for the prison Christmas party – ho – ho!”

THE END

So ends what devout `I. Spy` aficionados would term the `golden age` of the series. The strip would return in just five weeks, but radically changed! But I will expand more on that in the introduction to that season.

`Return of the Maticmen` was, in my view, about on a par with the Mr X story this season – the second story- not a classic, but pretty decent. Sadly, to me, I do detect both a lessening of definition in Brian Walker’s artwork and plot deficiencies from Peter Clark, particularly in those stories which I think proved what a strain it was trying to keep up such very high standards of the past two seasons.
This story was rather unique in that it featured more of the villain, Mr Mastermind, in its six episodes, than the titular hero! No other story ever gave such depth to a villain’s persona as this one did with Mastermind’s childish arrogance in the first four episodes through to his total loss of control on realising I. Spy had betrayed him. Mastermind, once he believed that I. Spy was on his side showed a surprising amiability that Mr X could never be capable of, but Mr X would have never fallen for I. Spy’s ruse as his enmity to our hero is total.

Despite Mastermind’s fault’s of character, these are what I feel make him a rather more interesting villain than Mr X, the fact that Mastermind is vulnerable in his psyche gives more depth to him for me.

The Maticmen could only be destroyed by each other! It’s a bit like diamond only being susceptible to cutting by another diamond, only the maticmen could destroy the maticmen. Sadly, these creations would never appear again, but Mastermind would make one final `Sparky` appearance the following season.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

SEASON THREE, 1971 (June – November) Review.

As stated earlier, the third season was far more equable in content than its two predecessors. No story was a `dud` but none were quite out-and-out `classics` though `The Skywaymen` came very, very close to that exalted level.

Both the `Skywaymen` and the `Seven Stone Supermen` were the most innovative of the seasons four stories. Dr Q from the `Seven Stone Supermen` was a superb villain who really deserved a rematch with I. Spy. The `Skywaymen` was unusual in that no `sole` villain was the foe, but rather a renegade faction from an otherwise peaceful society.

Major villains Mr X and Mr Mastermind featured again with Mastermind yet again awarded the honour of closing the season. Both villains’ stories did not match their series two outings, but were still good fare. What was apparent to me though in comparing the style both villains were sketched in seasons two and three was a clear lack of definition by the latter season. But! As I have stated the sheer strain of getting such a high quality series together must have been enormous. I will cover this point again in the introduction to series four.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Tomorrow! I will start the posting of `Season Four` which became a cause for heated debate on an earlier thread on the site! Trying to be more level headed about it in my `I. Spy Years` I still have my criticisms, but hope I have couched them more sensibly!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

And now! we move into the fourth season which was in colour and saw (in my view) quite a change of style indeed!

Season Four 1971 – 1972, 11th November 1971 – 19th August 1972 (Colour).

Rather surprisingly, the series was only absent from the pages of `Sparky` for five weeks, returning on 11th December 1971; but it was radically altered in scope and design.

I can only speculate on this, but I think there must have been editorial discussion with artist (Brian Walker) and writer (Peter Clark) about the direction of the series during the latter period of the third season. It must be remembered that `Sparky` was only a `fun` comic aimed at a fairly young readership and `not` an adventure based comic for older consumers.

The `I. Spy` strip had veered rather close (especially from October 1970 to March 1971) to becoming an `adventure` strip from the purely `fun` based fare of its first few months and the sheer strain of producing such innovative and superbly drawn offerings of this period must have been enormous in my view. Certainly, I think one can detect signs of strain on artist and writer in some of the third season.

It was obviously decided to step back to a `fun` based strip with more emphasis on comedy than intricate plots and to dispense with the longer self contained five, six, seven and eight part stories. Though saying this, the early part of series four did contain two `umbrella` themes, though both were possessed of individual episodes that were very self contained.

Another break with the more plotted style was the abandoning of story titles for the majority of the season.

The season received the promotion to colour by occupying the middle two pages of the comic which were always displayed in full colour. It was the longest season since season one which indicates the pressure was reduced on writer and artist, hence more episodes. To me, this preferment of `quantity over quality` was a retrograde step, but maybe it was the only course the strip could go if it were to survive at all.

In mid 1973 I picked up a couple of 1972 `Sparky` comics, along with other titles from a charity shop in Wolverhampton. I wondered if the `I. Spy` strip might still be going? Yes! It was, but oh! What a disappointment, I just could not relate it with the earlier strip that I had gotten so used to! To this day and I’m speaking very personally, I just cannot accept this season as anything more than `average`.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Here is the first few stories of season four!

Season Four, 1971 – 72 : The Stories.

11th December 1971 The first episode features a stolen machine called the `Super Builder` stolen by one `Boris Karryitoff`. I just cannot express fully how poor I find this season opener, If I had been still buying `Sparky` comic then, I think I would soon most likely lost interest in the `I. Spy` strip.

18th & 25th December 1971. Two episodes that pit I. Spy up against Eastern European spy, `Ivan Uglifaiz`. The first episode has Ivan firing a huge bonfire night type rocket at Spy H.Q. The second episode has I. Spy tackle Ivan and his associates in Ivan’s H.Q. I. Spy wins after setting the gangs feet in cement!

1st January – 12th February 1972 (Seven Episodes) The First `Mr Ee` Saga.

1st January 1972. This episode begins the first of the `Mr Ee` (Mystery, get it?) umbrella themes from the first half of season four. The episode starts with a defeated (from last week) Ivan Uglifaiz being berated by the mysterious Mr Ee, who, readers are told is the head over all crime-and spies! Mr Ee now sets upon I. Spy his far eastern agents, `Chow Ming` and `Chop Sooee` to eliminate I. Spy, with no success.

This episode introduces the mysterious `Mr Ee` who seems to be a last minute addition to the `Ivan Uglifaiz` themed episodes. Anyhow, it seems that Mr Ee is the mister big of crime as well as enemy spies. Readers never fully see Mr Ee’s features, only glaring eyes or gnashing teeth, sometimes both! I thought it a daft ploy as we already have I. Spy a mystery. Perhaps Mr Ee was really the `Sir` character from the `We are the Sparky People` strip? His features were never revealed either!

The episode also introduced `Chow Ming` and `Chop Sooee` the latter possessing Karate skills as in the manner of old foe, `Karate Chip`. It’s a pity that Karate Chip couldn’t have been brought back instead!

8th January 1972. Mr Ee assigns scruffy spy, `Igor Annofalitch` (Who spends most of his time in a dust bin) to steal plans for a `Mini-Rocket` from Spy H.Q.

15th January 1972. Mr Ee now despatches `Dr Skullduggery` to tackle I. Spy. Skullduggery tries to blow up Spy H.Q with explosive eggs –he fed his chickens on a diet of iron fillings and gunpowder- but I. Spy thwarts this attempt and chases the villain only to be caught in a giant mousetrap!

Skullduggery brings his prize catch to Mr Ee and they prepare to unmask I. Spy, but! I. Spy had cleverly substituted a life size dummy which has the added extra of blowing up once `unmasked` which is very uncomfortable for both Ee and Skullduggery.

This episode introduces us to `Dr Skullduggery` who becomes one of this seasons better villains! Dressed in top hat and tails and with a Tony Blair style huge grin, he is first seen as one of Mr Ee’s henchmen who Ee despatches in order to better I. Spy. Skullduggery would return later in the season.

Skullduggery did succeed in half demolishing Spy H.Q though, which led to the building of a new and (seemingly) more secure H.Q in a later episode.

22nd January 1972. Mr Ee now puts out `Dead or Alive` notices for I. Spy’s capture in order to entice every criminal in existence to target the spy. But, in a cunning ruse, I. Spy switches the Spy H.Q sign from the half wrecked building (damaged last week by `Dr Skullduggery`) onto Mr Ee’s mansion thereby drawing the pursuing villains to demolish Mr Ee’s abode!

29th January 1972. A new fortified Spy H.Q has been constructed following damage sustained from `Dr Skullduggery’s attack in the 15th January episode. Mr Ee and his chauffer try to gain access to steal secrets inside, but fail miserably. Not to be thwarted, Mr Ee arranges by clever ploy, that a new `comfy chair` be delivered to Spy H.Q. Inside the chair though is one of Mr Ee’s operatives who dopes Boss’ tea and swipes the secret papers.

5th February 1972. I. Spy returns to H.Q and finds Boss doped with the secrets gone! He soon deduces how this was achieved and a chase is on to recover the secrets with the episode ending with I. Spy surrounded, at Mr Ee’s new H.Q by the villain and his armed gang.

12th February 1972. Though I. Spy cuts through the floor to avoid the gunfire of Mr Ee’s men, the crime boss has anticipated such a move and has quick drying concrete dumped down the escape hole, covering I. Spy and immobilising him.

Thinking he has I. Spy secured (I. Spy just manages to free himself unseen by the villains) Mr Ee sets up an auction of the secret papers and I. Spy himself to the worlds highest bidders! I. Spy has managed to swap the papers for useless sketches and the `I. Spy` that Mr Ee thinks he has for auction is a life size dummy filled with explosives that blows Mr Ee’s auction hall to bits! Mr Ee and his chauffer end up in dustbins with a dishevelled Ee vowing to get I. Spy someday.

The first `Mr Ee` story was a strange affair. The first four parts were disparate offerings with little continuity apart from the character of Mr Ee. Only the final three episodes of January 29th and 5th & 12th February saw some cohesion when Mr Ee set about obtaining the secret papers from the newly built Spy H.Q and attempting to capture and auction off I. Spy.

The Mr Ee character has never impressed me, being rather too close to villain Mr Mastermind in his taste in Rolls Royce cars and expensive lifestyle. Why the strip persisted in keeping his features from readers really mystifies me, what was the point?

19th February – 4th March 1972.

The following three episodes are a mini- series where three of Mr Ee’s `operatives` tackle I. Spy on their own initiative.

19th February. Igor Annovalitch steals plans from Spy H.Q via supplanting an internal `paper shredder`.

26th February. Igor recruits Chow Ming and Chop Sooee to help him steal a rocket. The two Chinese agents are captured by I. Spy but Igor escapes.

4th March. I. Spy finally captures Igor by fooling him into thinking that I. Spy is temporarily without his special devices. Though nothing much to get excited about, these three episodes did feature the first `tie-up` of villains since `Operation I. Spy` though Igor Annovalitch, Chow Ming and Chop Sooee were certainly not in the same league as Mastermind & Co.

11th March – 8th April 1972 (Five Episodes) The Second `Mr Ee` Saga.

The second mini- umbrella `Mr Ee` encounter is more cohesive than the earlier seven part encounter. This mini- series features Mr Ee’s many attempts via his set up of foreign spies to intercept I. Spy and take from him a list of all spies to be delivered to top spy `Z`.

11th March 1972. I. Spy and Boss have to deliver a list of every operative in their organisation to top Spy Boss, `Z` who is holidaying in Australia. I. Spy tells Boss that he will jet his way down under with the list while Boss makes his own way there by conventional travel.

Meanwhile, Mr Ee is able to listen in on their conversation via his minion, Dr Skulduggery’s super-ear device. Skullduggery seems to have stolen the list, but I. Spy has tampered with the briefcase with the list inside and the villains are given a real run-around.

The return of Mr Ee ushered in another mini-series in where I. Spy has to deliver the list of agents while Ee and his men try to intercept him. There is a nice cameo from Dr Skullduggery here who is one of the more interesting villains this season.

The mention of very top Spy, `Z` makes me wonder if this is the same `Z` that I. Spy encountered in `The Copycat` tale in season two, though that `Z` was a duplicate! This mention of a very top Spy means that Boss is only a sort of `middle-management` boss and not the very top man as I’m sure that I, and other readers had always assumed!

18th March 1972. Mr Ee and Dr Skullduggery realise they have been fooled by I. Spy, but do know he is on his way to Australia. Mr Ee contacts his French agent to stop I. Spy but the man fails.

25th March 1972. After the failure of his French agent to intercept I. Spy, Mr Ee now assigns Swiss spy, `Villnot Tell` to tackle the agent, but he fails too.

1st April 1972. I. Spy now heads for Egypt. He gets a `tow` from a small jet plane, but it is manned by Mr Ee and his butler who tries to shoot I. Spy from the tail of the plane! All crash land with Mr Ee still unsuccessful when I. Spy defeats his Egyptian agent, `Mustapha Go`.

This segment of the mini-series featured some of the best action of the whole season in those scenes where Mr Ee’s man tries to shoot I. Spy from the plane with firstly a machine gun, then a pistol. It was an unusual departure from the slapstick tone this season had engendered.

8th April 1972. I. Spy reaches India where Mr Ee’s man, `Footsee Jambuttee` is defeated. Heading across the Indian Ocean I. Spy takes a rest on a tiny coral island, But! It is actually a disguised submarine. The submarine its crew and captain, `C. Dogg` are all Mr Ee’s men who hold I. Spy at gunpoint while Mr Ee is contacted by radio.

As Mr Ee’s helicopter nears, I. Spy manages to fire the submarine’s full complement of magnetically guided torpedos. C.Dogg realises the submarine itself is the only metal object for miles around and the torpedoes will all home in on its hull. As everyone abandons ship I. Spy makes his escape. Unfortunately for Mr Ee, his helicopter has just landed on the Sub’s deck as the torpedoes return. Mr Ee and his butler are left tattered and torn floating amongst the wreckage with Ee cursing I. Spy to the fates.

Finally making it to Australia I. Spy now rendezvous’ with Boss who too has just arrived by regular channels. I. Spy asks if Boss has remembered to bring I. Spy’s “Safari Shoes” with him. Boss has them and is staggered to find out that the list of spies was in one of them. To Boss’ horror, he realises `he` was the carrier while I. Spy was decoying Mr Ee and his minions.

So ended the second Mr Ee mini-series which was the last time readers of the `I. Spy` strip would encounter this villain. Mr Ee has never impressed me in the least. Both `Mr X` and `Mr Mastermind` could have easily filled his role with far better impact I believe!

The villain’s foreign villains were a motley assortment of –by today’s climate- very politically incorrect stereotypes. It is such a shame that even in the 1970s D.C Thomson comics still portrayed characters as such.

Boss Spy took his longest break (of three episodes) from the strip since the `Sticky Toffee’s` three part offering back in the early days of the first season from Les Barton.

The final episode of the mini- series was a three page affair; it wouldn’t be the last in this season.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sorry I've been so long in adding more visual material on this subject, Alan; massive decor upheavel at home, and all that! My SPARKY comics are all well looked after and strategically-placed however.

After all the controversy of the FOX Christian name, I have decided to call him simply J. FOX from this point on, to avoid any more confusion.

Before I show some examples of some of MR Fox's I SPY artwork, I will illustrate some more of his more noticably quirky, whimsical work: the most memorable of which was undoubtedly the long-running MR BUBBLES strip, with 'Jay-F' contributing a fair amount of the later material, and very cosy and comforting it was, too. A good example of typically SPARKY fare from this bygone period, this style of artwork must surely appear 'olde-worlde' and dated to modern eyes, but there is clearly a lot of skill and verve evident in this highly stylized artwork.

From about 1973 onwards, a regular motif that appeared within the strip revolved around that week's escapade as seen from the viewpoint of a member of the animal kingdom. This example here doesn't especially fall within that bracket, but it is connected [of sorts]:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thanks for your input Rab!! I have put him as John Fox! Unless he himself demurs, that's how i'm keeping it! My section on his `I. Spy` tenure will be on here soon, but now, here is the rest of season Four!

15th & 22nd April 1972.

The next two episodes saw I. Spy tackle `I. Spyder` a fellow dressed in a yellow mechanics overall with `spider` mask. He drove a sort of spidermobile full of special gadgets.

The 15th April episode ends with I. Spy stuck firm on I Spiders huge fly paper. The villain dangles the paper with I. Spy attached over a crevice and rigs a trip-wire device for an unknowing Boss to trip and send I. Spy to his doom!

In the 22nd April episode I. Spy escapes and pursues I. Spyder, finally catching the villain with one of his vehicles special devices.

These two episodes brought in a character whose title, `I. Spyder` was a play on that of `I. Spy`. Brian Walker in his `Champ` strip in 1984-85 would conceive of numerous variations of the I. Spy title to an extraordinarily mind numbing degree!

The two episodes were a pretty good offering with a pretty resourceful villain. I did find the `cliff hanger` in where I. Spyder dangles I. Spy (who is stuck fast on the special fly paper) over the crevice and then rigs up a trip-device for Boss to set off in his usual blundering manner (which he duly did) Why didn’t the villain just throw the paper and I. Spy over himself?

29th April, 6th & 13th May 1972.

The next story was a three-parter with episodes two and three expanded to three pages. For the first time this season one of I. Spy’s older foes returns, `Mr Mastermind`.

In the 29th April episode, At Spy H.Q I. Spy and Boss are contacted by the authorities who have a puzzling problem. It seems that deadly criminal Mr Mastermind has somehow escaped his high security prison cell, but also, that a young child is now in his place!

I. Spy and Boss hurry to the jail and see for themselves that indeed, Mastermind has gone and a young toddler is in his place, sobbing its eyes out. As the police take the youngster off in a police car to try and find where is from, I. Spy muses that he seems to recognise the child.

In the police car, the youngster reveals he is carrying a small electronic device which he activates. In an instant the child ages into his adult form of Mr Mastermind. The officers are so stunned that they crash the car in a field allowing Mastermind to escape. The two policemen give chase but Mastermind points his device at them and both men are suddenly aged to near senility.

I. Spy and Boss who heard the commotion over the cars radio have just arrived to find out what has occurred. As I. Spy questions the elderly policemen in a disbelieving manner, Mastermind, who has hidden in nearby bushes aims his device at I. Spy with the `age reduction` setting. However, I. Spy spots him and deflects the beam which unfortunately hits Boss, reducing him to not much more than a mewling infant!

The 6th May episode begins with I. Spy hot on Mastermind’s trail. Mastermind aims his device again (on `age` setting) as I. Spy pursues him but succeeds only in hitting a few young saplings. However, their age spurt to full grown trees slows down I. Spy a little. Taking the chance of a reprieve, Mastermind aims at a broken down wreck of a car, instantly rejuvenating it to a brand new working model.

Soon, I. Spy is closing on Mastermind’s new car via his motorised wheels. Mastermind spots army training manoeuvres in a nearby field. Taking careful aim he reduces the troop leader to a child then bribes him with sweets to order all tanks to fire at I. Spy. It takes I. Spy some time to sort things out results in him losing Mastermind’s trail.

Finally, I. Spy tracks down Mastermind and manages to get hold of his device, but the villain has a remote control and uses this to activate the age device in I. Spy’s hand, reducing the spy to the age of a child!

13th May Mastermind ventures to peek at the young I. Spy –who is now hidden in his adult sized suit – but gets a rocket boxing glove for his audacity. Realising I. Spy is still dangerous though just a child, Mastermind hastily retreats. The young I. Spy gives chase and is helped by an old codger who points out the direction the villain took. Too late! I. Spy realises he has been fooled by an `aged` Mastermind.
Eventually he gets back on the trail which ends inside No 10 Downing Street where Mastermind has reduced the P.M and cabinet to children. Mastermind traps the junior I. Spy and prepares a deadly game which the child politicians don’t relish, but I. Spy junior finds a knock out blow to overcome his nemesis. Soon everybody is back to normal via Masterminds machine which –a now adult – I. Spy has requisitioned to effect the remedy. Sadly for Boss he is still wearing diapers once returned to full adulthood.

This was the final appearance for `Mr Mastermind` in the `Sparky` `I. Spy` strip. It was obviously the weakest Mastermind story, but not as bad as it might have been considering the quality of season four. Rather odd seeing the villain in prison attire throughout the three episodes, he didn’t look right without his designer threads!

The concept of a device that could add or take away age to any person or thing was pretty novel and one of two superb weapons in this series – the other was in the final story – it deserved to be used in the earlier better plotted series. There was a similar theme used in one of the TV series `Sapphire and Steel` stories.

So, Mr Mastermind ended his days in the Sparky I. Spy strip defeated again, but he would return in the 1980s, but not in Sparky (which ended in July 1977).

20th May. In this episode Ivan Uglifaiz tries yet again to blow up Spy H.Q with a large bonfire night type rocket.

Old Ivan seems to be monomaniacal regarding large rockets!

27th May. Rockets are going missing from a Scottish base. I. Spy and Boss find out that one Hoots McBeef is stealing them and disguising them as Scots pine trees.

Hoots McBeef was a throwback to the days of Hoots McBagpipe and Aye McSpy from the first series. It’s a pity neither could have been `resurrected` for this episode!

3rd, 10th & 17th June. Foreign agents, Boris and Karl are stealing secrets aided by a giant automated hand attached to the roof of their van. The giant hand is tethered to the van via large flexible cable. It gives I. Spy some trouble until he gets Boss to fetch him a supply of Mr X’ `Super-strength pills` he takes a few and wrestles the hand (and van) into submission.

This three part story was a very drawn-out affair indeed! Why I. Spy didn’t halt the villains with one of his many strong devices puzzles me. The finale of this story saw Mr X’ famous “Super-strength pills” brought into play by I. Spy to win the day. How ironic that it took the weapons of his most famous foe to help I. Spy here.

24th June to 1st July. Dr Skullduggery has set up a training school for spies. Their main task is to eliminate I. Spy in which the first three students fail miserably. The fourth seemingly succeeds by placing rockets in Spy H.Q sending it soaring up into the sky.

The next episode begins with Spy H.Q deploying built in wings to glide down to earth safely (this newly built H.Q now has many such devices) I. Spy finds out what is going on and manages to secrete himself as a student of Skullduggery when the class begin their `I. Spy` impersonations. I. Spy defeats the other `I. Spy’s` and arrests Skullduggery. The class is ended.

Very nice to see Dr Skullduggery again, now operating on his own (he had previously been one of Mr Ee’s minions) this was his final appearance which was a shame as I thought he was one of this seasons best characters.

8th July. “I. SPY AND THE SINISTER SIX” (One part – 3 pages)

I. Spy now tackles a gang of criminals known as the “Sinister Six”.

Not until the 31st episode of this season was any official story titled used, beginning here with a three page pretty dull one episode tale where I. Spy tackles a gang (the Sinister Six)rather than an individual villain. The episode was poor, but must have given the creators the idea for the 1973 Sparky Book `I. Spy` story.

15th & 22nd July.“THE ICE CREAM CROOKS” (Two parts)

Someone is stealing every ice cream and ice lolly in the country. It is old foe Mr X whose plan is to hold the country to ransom in the forecasted summer heat wave. I. Spy tracks him down to his lair inside an underground chamber but gets locked in the deep freeze.

Mr X thinks he has killed I. Spy but it is yet another full-size dummy. I. Spy wins the day eventually.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! The `Ice Cream Crooks` was quite easily the season’s nadir in my opinion. Though it is always nice to see Mr X again, did he really need to be reduced to this? The story was a complete misfire with no continuity (Mr X had been jailed in his last story)

What a shame that the final Peter Clark, Brian Walker Mr X story would be, in my opinion, the worst ever one in Sparky comic!

Unlike Mr Mastermind, Mr X` would` return in the fifth season as drawn by James Fox, quite a few times.

29th July to 19th August “THE KILLJOY SPRAYS” ( Four parts, each 3 pages)

Dr Killjoy hates any form of cheerfulness whatsoever. He wishes to exist in misery, but what is more, he demands that everyone else in the country join him in that unhappy state. To achieve this he has invented two special sprays. The first turns (temporarily) anything it touches to a rubbery constituency. The second spray also has a temporary effect; this of changing anything that `it` comes in contact with to a liquid state, even solid earth!

Walking through the walls of Spy H.Q via his sprays Dr Killjoy and his men declare they will be taking over the country. I. Spy tackles the gang but receives a squirt of rubberising spray which turns him to rubber for a time.

After recovering, I. Spy tracks the villains to a television station that Killjoy has taken over to broadcast his intentions. Tackling them a second time, I. Spy fares no better when Killjoys men turn a section of pavement to liquid trapping I. Spy inside.

I. Spy tunnels out of the re-hardened pavement and gives chase. Meanwhile the nations armed forces are sent to confront Killjoy and his men, but tanks, planes and ships are turned either to rubber or liquefied.

With his deadline for the nations surrender running out, Killjoy and his men drive to the outskirts of London with a huge spray can, some five metres tall, of his liquefier. He intends to unleash the lot on London if his demands aren’t met.

Checking the wind direction, Killjoy blasts off a huge cloud of the spray which slowly drifts towards the capital; many cars and Lorries succumb to its effect as it nears the city. Just in time, I. Spy appears by his rocket motor and with his large propeller he blows the cloud back the way it came.

Seeing his weapon returning to him, Killjoy and his men try to drive clear but are caught by the cloud. It liquefies the huge spray can on the lorry causing it to unleash a huge liquid wave of the substance. Killjoy and his men all sink into the ground.

Rescuing the crooks, I. Spy decides to put a smile on Killjoys face by tickling him under the chin with a feather. Finally, the misery does crack a smile!

The final story of season four was the longest self contained offering apart from the two `Mr Ee min-saga from the first half of the season. Each of the four part episodes was given three pages to convey the tale.

Dr Killjoy cut an unusual figure, looking somewhat like a character from a Charles Dickens novel, complete with stove-pipe hat. His weapons were a superb concept. Along with Mr Mastermind’s `Age device` Killjoy’s `Liquidizer` and `rubberizing` sprays were the best weapons concept of the series.

This story really would have suited the earlier seasons; as it was, it ended on a rather daft note with I. Spy eventually putting a grin on Dr Killjoy’s face!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

SEASON FOUR, 1971 – 72 Review.

The fourth `I. Spy` season was the first in colour and ran 37 weeks from 11th December 1971 to 19th August 1972, the longest season since the first.

It was a reversion back to a more slapstick approach with far less plotting than previous seasons apart from the early days of season one.

No new truly great villains made an appearance in this season, only mediocre characters on the whole. Villains such as Boris Karriyitoff, Ivan Uglifaiz, Chop Sooee, Chow Ming. Hoots McBeef, Igor Innovalitch, not to mention the motley assortment of foreign agents employed by Mr Ee to try and stop I. Spy in their second encounter, were all very poor fare in my view.

Mr Ee himself just did not work and was thankfully dispensed with halfway through the season. Only Dr Skullduggery and I. Spyder of the new villainous intake impressed me from season four.

Of the older villains in the series, only Mr Mastermind and Mr X returned, but greatly reduced. The Mastermind three part story was just about half decent, but poor old Mr X got stuck with what I regard as his worst ever outing in Sparky comic. This awful two part story was the low point of the season for me.

I find season four quite a disappointment of all I. Spy seasons in the comic and still hold this opinion. I do accept that other fans don’t find it such a `let down` as I do though.

After it finished on 19th August 1972 there would be no regular I. Spy season for a full two years, but! There was something for the fans over Christmas/new year 1973 – 74. The 1971 – 72 season was, almost, Brian Walkers last work in the regular comic itself, except for just the one story in the1974 – 1976 season. He also undertook the artwork for three Sparky Book stories dated 1973, 1974 & 1975.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

And now Brian's Sparky book strips!

SPARKY BOOKS, 1973, 1974 & 1975.

Sparky Book 1973 (“I. Spy at the Hotel Splendide” Nine pages, Colour)

The Prime Minister is staying the weekend at `Hotel Splendide` he is holding top secret talks there hence Boss instructing I. Spy that the hotel needs to be security checked.

I. Spy books a few days at the hotel only to find he is beset by fiendish traps and assassination attempts by the staff, which it is revealed are enemy agents. I. Spy survives all their bombs and guns, managing to catch every agent. He declares the hotel free of danger; the only problem is that the hotel was so badly damaged in the conflict that it is now uninhabitable.

This story was obviously based on series fours `The Sinister Six` where I. Spy is in a building full of deadly traps and enemies out to finish him off. Brian Walkers art was a big improvement over his work in series four, especially the final panel which revealed the half destroyed hotel.

It was nice to have a Sparky Book` I. Spy` strip in full colour at last!

Sparky Book 1974 (“The Amazing Wellington Boot Esq” Nine Pages, Colour)

Boss and I. Spy are relaxing at Spy H.Q when the phone rings, Boss answers. He is startled to receive a boast from a person called `Wellington Boot` who states he is going to steal secrets from a top secret establishment! I. Spy and Boss rush over to the complex only to find that is has been smashed open like an eggshell and its secrets gone.

A clue is found but it is unbelievable. It is a huge boot print that is seemingly from someone at least 20 metres tall! Following the trail of prints I. Spy (who doesn’t believe in giants) realises that if it `is` a giant by any chance, he must be one-legged as every print is from a massive left boot!

They follow the trail into deep woodland where suddenly, a huge boot lunges at them almost squashing Boss. I. Spy is ready to believe the possibility of a monopod giant when they catch full sight of their quarry in a clearing. It is a huge mechanical boot which is commanded by a character dressed in 17th century naval attire, “Wellington Boot Esquire”.

All attempts to tackle Mr Boot and his `Boot` are unsuccessful and the rogue gets away. Back at Spy H.Q I. Spy has an idea and he takes Boss to an outdoor `fruiters` he buys some bananas and squirts super fertilizer on them, presto! Huge bananas! As Spy H.Q is now unguarded, Wellington Boot and his contraption kick the building in and take the secret plans.

Back at the garden centre Boss has finally eaten enough huge bananas to provide a supply of skins. Heading back to Spy H.Q the duo encounters the villain atop his huge mechanical boot. He drives the boot at them but I. Spy throws down the outsize banana skins which upend the contraption and its master. Wellington Boot is sent into custody but Spy. H.Q is wrecked, the only solution is for I. Spy and Boss to convert the great mechanical boot into an abode similar to the nursery rhyme, “There was an old woman who lived in a shoe!”

This story was pretty bizarre indeed! A villain who `rode` a huge automated boot and used it to kick in buildings to pilfer secrets was quite a novel concept! The method used to defeat `Wellington Boot` by throwing down huge banana skins was very funny, made more so by the unnecessary sight of poor Boss having to eat the bananas
first!

Sparky Book 1975, (“I. Spy and the Master Phoney” Ten pages, Colour.)

At Spy H.Q secret plans are delivered by Chieftain Tank, via sliding down its lowered gun barrel through a window. Boss puts the plans in the safe for security while I. Spy decides to phone Granny Spy while he pops out to buy Boss some wine gums.

As he walks down `gunpowder lane` I. Spy doesn’t see an oriental character heading away into the distance with a GPO phone box on a hand cart which the fellow has just removed. I. Spy does notice the missing box when he reaches the spot it occupied as he wanted to phone granny on it!

Back at Spy H.Q the office phone rings and Boss answers. There is no one on the other end, but! The oriental character has suddenly appeared in the office pointing a gun at Boss. He orders Boss at gunpoint to unlock the safe and hand over the plans. Once he has them he politely asks if he can use Spy H.Q phone to dial. As the man dials a number, Boss takes his chance to run out for the police.

On returning with an officer they find the office empty. Just then I. Spy returns bemoaning the fact the phone box in gunpowder lane had gone (he hands Boss his wine gums). Boss tells I. Spy what happened which is a mystery to both to how the oriental character got away so quickly.

They decide to pop to the cinema that evening to forget their troubles for a bit, but as I. Spy buys two tickets in the lobby Boss screams out that he has spotted the `China man` on the top deck of a passing bus. I. Spy jets them both onto the bus to search for the man. Boss then spots the character who has managed to slip off the bus somehow and is making for a nearby public phone box.

They quickly close in on the box only to find it is empty and the receiver hanging down as if someone had been suddenly abducted in mid phone call. I. Spy is thinking hard.

Back at Spy H.Q, I. Spy calls on the office phone to ask directory enquiries the number of the box that was stolen from gunpowder lane. He is given the number and though there is a chance that the number might have changed by the thief he dials. Instantly he finds himself in the stolen phone booth which is now connected to the mains inside an oriental looking hideout.

An elderly oriental retainer who calls himself `Ting-A-Ling` politely asks if he wishes to speak to his master, Wong Numba` while he waits I. Spy accepts a cup of Chinese tea from the servant. As Ting – A- Ling prepares the tea I. Spy takes a look around. He finds the stolen plans along with the phone number for the Evilonian Embassy. Studying the purloined phone booth now in Wong Numba’s hideout he works out via the intricate machinery connected to it, how the fiend manages to come and go instantly.

I. Spy decides on a plan of action now. He disables Ting –A – Ling via a knock out spray in his button hole then alters the phone number of the Embassy, but leaves the plans where they are before leaving.

Back at Spy H.Q I. Spy tells Boss that he is expecting an important phone call as Boss wonders what is going on. Meanwhile, Wong Numba has returned to his hideout and wonders where Ting – A –Ling is (I. Spy gently put the servant to bed in the next room) Not bothering to search for Ting – A – Ling, Wong Numba picks up the plans and phones what he believes is the number of the Evilionian embassy.

Instantly, Wong Numba finds himself at Spy H.Q facing I. Spy and Boss. As he desperately tries to phone back to his hideout via Spy H.Q phone, soldiers enter (alerted earlier by I. Spy) to arrest the Chinese Spy. He finds that he cannot dial himself away as I. Spy has disconnected the phone!

`The Master Phoney` along with the 1972 book’s “Someone’s Eating the Moon` is easily the best plotted Sparky book story of the eight original entry’s in the annual book.

The concept of a customised phone booth that would send not just the voice but the person phoning to whatever number /location they chose (and back again) was highly original.

The only drawback of the story for me was the rather crude stereotyping of Chinese characters `Wong Numba` and his servant `Ting – A – Ling` By the mid 1970s this type of thing really should have been curtailed in `fun` comics in my view. I think had either `Mr X` or `Mastermind` been behind the dastardly plot the story would have been even better, but, sadly, the Brian Walker book strips never featured the villains of the actual comic strip.

Brian Walker stated in an interview that he had been willing to draw more I. Spy strips but that writer Peter Clark moved on from Sparky comic to become editor of the new `Warlord` comic in 1974. Brian would draw one final story in season five.

It seemed this was the end of the I. Spy strip in Sparky but there would be more after a two year gap, but without the team of Brian Walker (bar that one story) or Peter Clark. In fact, in a totally, but very welcome surprising move, the comic ran three consecutive weeks of Les Barton drawn I. Spy strips in the final three weeks of December 1973.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Now those three Les Barton `Revivals`

Three Les Barton `Classics`.

In what must have been a lovely surprise for those I. Spy fans who recalled the Les Barton drawn days of 1969-70 Sparky comic unearthed three old I. Spy tales drawn –and most likely written – by Les that were most likely withdrawn by him when Peter Clark joined to write the I. Spy stories.

They seem to date around the period of between the original eight episode (where I. Spy battled `Karate Chip`) and the first of the three part stories, `The Super Irons`. They have to be post fourth episode as Boss spy is his recognisable self (he looked different in the initial and third episodes) plus in the second of the new strips Mr X makes a very brief appearance and he didn’t appear in the early days till episode seven.

Though the strips are two pages in length it is very obvious that they were one page offerings in original form as instances of panel expansion is very easy to spot. The panel count is the same as the original one page strip so it is not hard to see where the artwork has been `blown up`. Nevertheless to see three more I. Spy strips by original artist Les Barton is a joy indeed!

15th December 1973.

I. Spy has to deliver an urgent message to Spy H.Q but he is constantly threatened by what is obviously an eastern spy who wears a fur hat and coat. Eventually I. Spy betters his foe and delivers the message to Boss Spy that enemy spies get an extra ten minutes tea break! Boss promises this will be acted upon!

How lovely to see the early I. Spy again via Les Barton’s work. Boss is his usual self which confirms this piece was certainly composed after the first three episodes at least.

One scene shows I. Spy unveiling the largest cannon he ever displayed; great visuals.

22nd December 1973.

I. Spy relates to the reader just why he eats at Spy H.Q canteen, even though the food is awful. His adventures show that whenever he tried eating `out` enemy spies and booby trapped food were a constant nuisance!

For the only time in the Sparky I. Spy strip our hero addresses his audience! I am glad this didn’t continue as it does break what they call the `fourth wall` where comic characters react outside their parameters.

It was good to see a couple of scenes with Mr X as one of the enemy agents trying to booby trap I. Spy’s food! It is unknown whether Les Barton had conceived the Mr X character in this strip, or if the character we see there was to become the great villain later! It just depends when this strip was conceived.

29th December 1973.

I. Spy is given a warning by Boss that a character dressed as a clown is out to get him! I. Spy is soon confronted by the villain who has his own devices based on a clown’s attire! Thankfully, I. Spy with a cunning ruse gets the `clown` arrested by the police.

The final Les Barton `oldie` saw I. Spy confronted by a character who could have easily been a good enemy later on in season one. Sadly, the `clown` never did return which is a shame as I think he certainly showed potential for deeper villainy if returning in the series proper. Note! There was another duel for I. Spy with a `Clown` villain, in Fun Size `Dandy` No 63 in 2.000, whether it was the same character, I just don’t know; probably not!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Tomorrow, (Catching up with Rab!) I shall begin posting the `JOHN FOX era!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The J.FOX era of I SPY:

After a break of virtually 2 years of I SPY- free SPARKY, the character returned once more wihin it's pages, with yet another major revamp injected into the mix. J. FOX took over artistic duties from here until 1976, and quite coincidentally, his tenure as artist began in Aug '74, with issue 500 [remarkably, the Walker run had started in 1970, with issue 300].

The FOX era of I SPY seems very likely to have been penned by a very diffent scriptwriter: gone forever are the intruiging, danger-fueled dramas that made earlier entries so intruiging. There is still loads of danger depicted within, but it's of the decidedly WILE E. COYOTE unsubtle slapstick variety, and from here on in, a slightly ham-fisted, sledgehammer-bludgeoning approach infused the stories. There is a fair bit of imaginitive stuff here, but it's very different to what has gone before within this series: there's a great deal of absurdist mayhem throughout---which I'm always a bit partial to------and there is no doubt that a lot of the strangest-ever I SPY stories are engendered within the FOX period: I hope to include some examples of the more bizarre entries on this score.

Aesthetically, the FOX version of I SPY is the least-pleasing: in contrast to the sleek, streamlined BARTON original, or the shiney, more in-depth, dimensional WALKER version, this third incarnation appears to me at least as more clumsy and awkward-looking: the scale of the character, especially in the oddly-proportioned BOSS character is off-putting and jarring, and even the once-grand titling that graced this series over 2 years is replaced by ill-fitting titling, apparantly added by FOX himself. Even the lettering is different here, and looks hand-drawn/written in many cases, another charmless departure that gave the strip even more flatness and lack of depth in my view.

J FOX was a valid contributer to SPARKY in the 70s, but I feel he was a far from ideal choice to work on the I SPY character. However, his tenure on the strip: about 82 episodes, far outstripped either Barton or Walker, and subsequent reprints in CLASSICS from the COMICS.DANDY X-treem [sic] etc have ensured that this final version of SPARKY'S spy-creation is the one that remains uppermost in many modern comic-reader's eyes:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The `Fox` era does comes across (to me certainly) as "Quantity over Quality"

There are some very innovative `weapons concepts` in certain stories -eg `Dr Spook's` "Dematerialisation Pills` and the untitled two part Mr X `Dream-Spray` is a delight!

In my `take` on the Fox season, I summised that maybe quite a few writers worked on `plots`. It is hard to believe that the same person wrote that `Dream-Spray` tale and the colour late season "Little Bounder"

Anyhow, here is the first part of my `J. Fox` section!

THE JOHN FOX YEARS 1st August 1974 – 10th April 1976: THE STORIES.

It wasn’t until there was another sizeable `revamp` of the `Sparky` comic in issue No 500 on 17th August 1974 that the `I. Spy` strip would return. It was one of the new intake that issue and was now drawn(bar one story) by artist John Fox who was currently drawing some of the currant `Mr Bubbles` strip and who had drawn the 1970 – 71 strip, `Four Legged Fred`. The only exception was the second story of the season which was drawn by Brian Walker.

Sadly, in both my and many other `I. Spy` fans, John Fox depiction of I. Spy would be rather the weakest.

Of the stories; it is not known who wrote them, but my guess is that some were by Fox and others by writers on the Sparky staff! The variation in quality of the stories was quite marked this season indeed!

Only one old villain from the earlier seasons would return which was a shame. In fact, only one other villain in this season would make just the one return visit too.

The season would, barring a break of five weeks in issues 521 to 525, be the longest `I. Spy` season in `Sparky` beginning issue 500 (17th August 1974) and finally ending in issue 586 (10th April 1976) bar the short break, a run of 82 episodes. The series was back in black and white until issue 579 (21st February 1976)

The season consisted of both titled and untitled stories. Why this was I don’t know. The last eight weeks of the season were in full colour.

I won’t catalogue every non titled story in detail as many were so utterly non- descript! I will certainly mention all those that carried titles albeit some only deserve a brief comment!