We Are United/Limp Along Leslie Help Required

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: We Are United/Limp Along Leslie Help Required

Post by Phoenix »

rivertonunited wrote:I took on board various opinions on here and also did some research and came to the conclusion that there wasn't really a market for it book wise. I am still tinkering with the idea of a one off fanzine but...../.....taking on a project like this would have to be done properly anyway.
There is no reason why you shouldn't do the project just for your own satisfaction. Then, if you feel comfortable with it, you could approach a small press or two in your neck of the woods to get an idea how much it would cost to have fifty, or a hundred, properly printed. You can always offer them here and on eBay. Someone, like Lew Stringer for example, might even do a blog post on it. Just don't give up.

SID

Post by SID »

I would definitely be interested in buying a copy. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:I would definitely be interested in buying a copy.
So would I, but it will definitely need quite a number of illustrations from the various story papers at appropriate points. You are obviously a United fan, rivertonunited, so just go for it.

rivertonunited

Post by rivertonunited »

Where would I stand copyright wise though?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

rivertonunited wrote:Where would I stand copyright wise though?
As long as you approach D C Thomson with a sensible proposal, they should be amenable. I am nto sure what the cost would be but it can't be prohibitive as we have certainly seen an increase in the use of their intellectual properties over the last year or so.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

After my 3-month break from these forums, I've spent an interesting morning rereading quite a lot of posts, which have included quite a few from before my time out. Perhaps the most memorable involved some jousting with rivertonunited. Our last posts were on Wednesday May 14 2014, at which point rivertonunited was about to embark on his We Are United book or pamphlet. Does anyone know whether he went on to write one or the other. I'm asking because a number of members at the time, including me, expressed an interest in buying a copy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just made my periodic, albeit infrequent, visit to rivertonunited's We Are United/Limp Along Leslie thread, to find out how much progress he has made on his book/pamphlet, only to discover that his last visit, at least the last one he signed in for, was on Monday 18 April 2016. So either he is still hard at work on it or he has decided that the project is not viable, the latter being the more likely. A shame really as the available information from several different serials could add up to a work of at least 100 A4 pages, more if he added illustrations from the various sources.

One question arises. At one point he uses the word 'retconning', a word whose meaning I can guess, but which doesn't appear in my copy (Andrew's actually) of The New Oxford Dictionary Of English (pub. 1998). Any clarity appreciated.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Retconning is a portmanteau of retro conversion, and basically means changing the backstory.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

"Changing the back story", eh? Thanks for clearing that up for me, Andy. Not something I would ever approve of, though. Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been having a couple of jars in The Star pub in st Erth with Russ, Rach, Alex, Jordan, his partner, Kerry, their daughter, Ava, and Kerry's dad. Lois would have been with us but very early on Friday morning she went on a 4-day trip to Brittany with a school party.