Do Ve Haff Vays off Findink Out Who Speaks German at VIZ?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to this long-running adult comic that started back in 1979.

Moderator: AndyB

patpending

Do Ve Haff Vays off Findink Out Who Speaks German at VIZ?

Post by patpending »

- pronounced "FITS" of course.

My first thread, so a subject that combines two of my favourite interests: foreign language and silliness.

I was reminded of this when I saw the "True-Life Dame Vera Adventure" in VIZ no.189 where Dame Vera Lynn is secretly substituted for Geoff Hurst in the 1966 World Cup after his half-time orange has been injected with Nazi poison. :lol:

The German goalkeeper has let in a goal in to Geoff Hurst at 19 minutes and says "Donner und Blitzen! Ich bin as sick as ein Grossewellensittich" (approx: big-a da budgerigar) :lol:

Then we have the Freudian complexes similar to (making one up) der Ichbininmeinerunterhosenmitteninderstrassenamhelllichtenentagenunddermädchenvonderschulengehenvorbeiundlachenphobien which generally approximately means something (in this case, iaminmyunderpantsinthemiddleoftheroadinbroaddaylightandthegirlsfromtheschoolpassbyandlaughphobia ).

Then we have "Krissmüs mit den Bacons", in which Fatha Bacon gives Biffa a huge gift-wrapped present big enough for Mutha to be inside and Biffa says (bowdlerised) "Vatta, Sie müsse zinken ich bin ein right prattendaften. Meine Mutta ist in da, und sie springt aus und hoofen meine groinische"... :lol:

(The German is fairly (though not totally!) accurate, so much so I first wrote "und sie springen out"...)

As a German speaker, I find this hilarious. I imagine the number of German speakers around is dwindling, as I continually read that schools are dropping the subject since it is possible to fail. What must the average VIZ reader make of it? Surely a series of funny long words. Even the words the Nazi concentration camp guards use in the Victor are now something surely only the older generation will recognise.

How do these brilliant jokes come about?

Steve Henderson

Re: Do Ve Haff Vays off Findink Out Who Speaks German at VIZ?

Post by Steve Henderson »

The Bacons one is really taking the mickey out of the Bacons formula using made up German words, I seem to remember 'dish isch resemblich mutha?' or 'this looks thinke mutha if it were in english, or as close to english as the Bacons speak!

patpending

Re: Do Ve Haff Vays off Findink Out Who Speaks German at VIZ?

Post by patpending »

Steve Henderson wrote:The Bacons one is really taking the mickey out of the Bacons formula using made up German words, I seem to remember 'dish isch resemblich mutha?' or 'this looks thinke mutha if it were in english, or as close to english as the Bacons speak!
yes, but there words are made up by someone who speaks German or whose guesses are pretty close!

Inside the present is a Russian "babushka" doll which Biffa opens one by one. Guess who the last doll looks like?

BIFFA: Hünh? Das ultimate Dollschaft resemblicht Mutta!"

Actually, behind the jokey "Dollschaft", that's more based on a Romance language such as French, where "last" can be "ultime" and "looks like" is "ressemble".

Must be comprehensible as a joke to the average reader!