Retro TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Retro TV

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:
steelclaw wrote:My 'LOOK-BACK' No.3 & 4 DVDs came today.

Children of the Stones episode 1 is brilliant might will buy the whole series in the new year.
I've been working my way through these.

Yes, Children of the Stones is one of the best of its kind (isn't the full release deleted at the moment, though?).

See what you think of episode one of King of the Castle. Gritty, spooky stuff up the steps of a high rise. (And a comic is involved at one point!)

The Siege of Golden Hill and Soldier and Me are also good.

Talent show Anything You Can Do is so weird and grim, it's hilarious at times.

I do also recommend that Shadows series 1 DVD.

Those Paper Lads pics: wow, didn't newsagents used to be good?

I didn't realise it was deleted, it's on Amazon but it's £30 and it's only 7 episodes.

Haven't watched any of those you've mentioned yet, watched the 'Kids form 41a' I didn't know it had it's serious side although it's jokey etc.

'Tom Grattan's war' really nice clear and in colour great for 1968.

Was 'Arthur of the Britons' one of those sunday tea time programmes? I do remember it but didn't take much interest in it at the time.

'Fly into Danger' don't remember that at all. :?

Yes I feel sorry for kids today never seeing 'Newsagents' like 'what we had' in the 1960s/1970's full of comics, that shop in the 'paper Lads' must have sold out of a lot of comics waiting for that weeks new stock :)

Right going to watch 'The Ghosts Of Motley Hall Before I go to bed.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote: I didn't realise it was deleted, it's on Amazon but it's £30 and it's only 7 episodes.
That'll be because it's deleted and harder to get now. I think it was released in 2002 - and was a regular price. It'll probably come out again, though.

steelclaw wrote: Haven't watched any of those you've mentioned yet
I'd suggest you watch King of the Castle next - and report back!

steelclaw wrote:
'Tom Grattan's war' really nice clear and in colour great for 1968.
I think I'll try Tom Grattan's War next. This one's out complete. It's the series Yorkshire TV made for kids before The Flaxton Boys; nice that it's in colour. I've never seen it before.
steelclaw wrote: Was 'Arthur of the Britons' one of those sunday tea time programmes? I do remember it but didn't take much interest in it at the time.
It was on Wednesday afternoons in the 'children's hour.'

The Intruder is good, too. Quite weird and surreal at times, with a very strange atmosphere.

Is that a US Howard the Duck comic, bottom right, in the second Paper Lads photo?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

OMG the theme tune to 'The Ghosts Of Motley Hall' has just taken me back to 1973.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:OMG the theme tune to 'The Ghosts Of Motley Hall' has just taken me back to 1973.
Now that is spooky, because the show didn't start till 1976!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:
steelclaw wrote:OMG the theme tune to 'The Ghosts Of Motley Hall' has just taken me back to 1973.
Now that is spooky, because the show didn't start till 1976!

LOL :D
I was looking at the 'Kids from 47a' inside the box.

Happy day. :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

Oh, Boy Dominic provides nice Gothic, Sunday afternoon-style shenanigans, too.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I'm staying up to to watch 'King of the Castle'

Again another programme I wasn't familiar with, the beginning at school seems so far away from the basement of the castle.
Pretty gritty grim stuff for 1977 but very entertaining I'm intrigued now I want to see the rest.
Some familiar faces Ripper was in 'Bunch of fives'
He was also in Dr Who recently 'The Idiot's Lantern' all grown up.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:I'm staying up to to watch 'King of the Castle'

Again another programme I wasn't familiar with, the beginning at school seems so far away from the basement of the castle.
Pretty gritty grim stuff for 1977 but very entertaining I'm intrigued now I want to see the rest.

The whole series is 30% off as a Network Exclusive till 21st December - £9.09.

Siege of Golden Hill is very gritty too, disproving the nonsense line that's always trotted out about Grange Hill being the first urban, realistic children's TV drama. Golden Hill is one of several earlier series that make Grange Hill seem very tame. The one on Look Back starts with a gang intimidating folk at a youth club, and is full of rogues.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Do they still sell Barrs drinks anywhere.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:Do they still sell Barrs drinks anywhere.

Yes: http://www.agbarr.co.uk/agbarr/newsite/ ... endocument

They do IRN-BRU amongst others.

Alas, they don't still The Beezer anywhere.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Raven wrote:
Digifiend wrote:The option to delete should be above the subject box, with [ Once deleted the post cannot be recovered ] next to it.

I don't seem to be getting it now.
Apparently that's because I replied. The option should've been there until then. You'll know where to look next time. :)
Raven wrote:Alas, they don't still The Beezer anywhere.
Nor Action, which is on the shelf below the Dandy in that screenshot (and is that Tammy next to it?). Now those are the good old days, proper comics stacked neatly without a bagged up, gift laden, licensed title in sight. Nowadays you'd have trouble finding Beano and Dandy sometimes when the kids have been raking through those bagged up titles leaving the shop shelves a right royal mess.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:
Raven wrote:
Digifiend wrote:The option to delete should be above the subject box, with [ Once deleted the post cannot be recovered ] next to it.

I don't seem to be getting it now.
Apparently that's because I replied. The option should've been there until then. You'll know where to look next time. :)
Raven wrote:Alas, they don't still The Beezer anywhere.
Nor Action, which is on the shelf below the Dandy in that screenshot (and is that Tammy next to it?).
Digi we did naming the comics on the previous page.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Anyone remember Pauline's Quirks? [around 1976/77]......doubt if there's a market for that on DVD.....

Also...Peter---if you like the GOODIES [top show!] then BBC2 are screening 8 episodes [one per day] from just before Christmas.

The episodes are:

Scoutrageous/Kitten Kong/ Goodies and the Beanstalk [Christmas Eve] /Saturday Night Grease/Loch Ness Monster/ Stoneage/Lighthouse-keeping Loonies/ Ecky Thump.

All except 'Scotland ' and 'Stoneage' are on DVD already....the new DVD set contains none of these episodes and is a good selection also.....reccomended.

I signed the petition to get GOODIES repeats back on telly [even if I don't and can't watch telly] so hopefully I have helped to get it back on the box.

The last regular screening of the show on the BBC was back in Jan '84!

Very unfair, considering how many times Porridge/the Good Life/Fawlty Tower/Dad's Army has been repeated ad infinitum.

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Anyone remember Pauline's Quirks? [around 1976/77]......doubt if there's a market for that on DVD.....

There's an episode of it on here:

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... ts_id=1056

plus one of its predecessor You Must Be Joking.

Steelclaw and I have discussed the show - and its banning in some regions - here before if you check the search engine, but look up Pauline's Quirkes, not Quirks.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Watched a few more episodes last night from 'Look-Back 3 DVD.

Can't fault 'Catweasle' classic chidrens tv at it's best.

'Escape into night' didn;t know it was in Black & White I loved it when it first came out, I now know why I missed so many mid 70's to late 70's programmes a new sort of youth club opened up after school I used to go to.

'The feathered Serpen't didn't think much of or 'Warrior Queen' it must be something to do with ancient times I found a bit slow.

'Anything you can do' your right Raven some of it was hilarious, those two lads singing in Kilts I expected a fairly high pitched voice but it came out fairly deep bass voice. That piece of art that girl did. :D

'Sky' was weird I though 'Sky' was a girl.

'The Intrude'r so so.

'Soldier And Me' I can just remember and thought it was good.

'The Siege of golden hill' Was OK I found it hard to take it serious seeing them acting tough wearing 70's fashion, but that's what we wore in those days, I had flares bigger then my waist and platform shoes. :shock: