Me being silly.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Me being silly.

Post by stevezodiac »

One of the things I do to amuse myself is to make up captions for pictures in newpapers. I did this one a year or so ago and came across it the other day. It made me laugh so I thought i'd share it.

cue sound of crickets...

Digifiend

Re: Me being silly.

Post by Digifiend »

:lol: Nice one! I know how that feels. My main TV only has four channels - we intend to get a new digital TV soon though, which will solve that problem.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's another i did some time ago, I did a cut and paste job to get the correct sequence of word balloons then added my own dialogue.
Attachments
ebay august 2010 268.jpg

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Good one! :lol:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

another one from today's paper:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I wish I had a scanner! I could pop up the ones that `Melody Maker` used to do in the `Raver` column. They used to use those same `Sears & Roebuck Victorian/Edwardian scenes (which Terry Gilliam also used to great effect) and put captions to! So you're following a great tradition Steve!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Funnily enough I have a 1899 Sears & Roebuck (facsimile) catalogue. I bought it because i am a Wild West fan and you sometimes see people looking at them in westerns - Shane and Open Range spring to mind.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes! The Melody maker would use a photo each week and put their own captions to them! One example in a scene with a `distraught` Victorian woman and two angry men!

"How dare you sir! Chris Welching in front of my wife like that!!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't know it was her turn first!"

That was used on the Xmas 1967 issue! To get the Joke you had to know that Chris Welch was the Singles reviewer for the paper!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Heard that terrible news item about the British woman who was beheaded in a supermarket in Teneriffe. I can't image what the bloke who did it was thinking of. Unless his wife asked him to pop down the shops and get some Head & Shoulders.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:x Not funny... it's no laughing matter.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Blimey Steve!! Even Frankie Boyle might have baulked at that one!

I prefer the gag (Set in wartime UK) where a young lad in the Fishmongers has been sent to buy some Whale Meat and says "Mom Sez` Can We Have The Head For The Cat Pleae?"

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was some good news - her husband got a full refund on her sunhat.

Any more like that and I might become unpopular. Humour has been my life for nigh on fifty years and no opportunity should be wasted. The humour is based on the situation not the people involved.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:There was some good news - her husband got a full refund on her sunhat.

Any more like that and I might become unpopular. Humour has been my life for nigh on fifty years and no opportunity should be wasted. The humour is based on the situation not the people involved.
Sorry Steve, but it's not. A general joke about beheading would be about the situation. By making it about "the British woman who was beheaded in a supermarket in Teneriffe" you're centering it specifically about the people involved.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Where do we draw parameters? I honestly think you were `off-line` Steve, but as someone who has made enough mistakes in `taste` myself-i'm no judge. Just a `gut` feeling that it was a bit `strong` sorry!!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I'm openly anti-PC, but I try and avoid sick humour if I can.

We're seeing a new side of you here, Steve, but as your topic heading says, you're just being 'silly'.

I admit I sometimes laugh in disbelief when confronted by news of particularly nasty atrocities, but this is more through a nervous reflex, and seems to be a sort of 'defence mechanism' ------I've seen other people do this as well.

It's a reflex against the outrage of extreme acts, but it's different from mocking appalling outrages, which I try and avoid.