currently on at the 'pictures':

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

alanultron5

Re: currently on at the 'pictures':

Post by alanultron5 »

Ever seen "The Devil Commands" ? Starred Boris Karloff in 1941 by Columbia. Really strange!
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

no but I watched the 1935 THE RAVEN with Karloff/Lugosi on Saturday---'twas good stuff.

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:
youtube is always worth a look when it comes to niche films.
Indeed. Yesterday I found that someone has finally uploaded a watchable, high quality version of SOLE SURVIVOR (1970).

For a lot of people of my age, this is 'the one about the bomber in the desert' that we saw on telly but which remained a mystery until the internet came along and allowed to find out what it was called! It's like an extended Twilight Zone episode, and stars William Shatner. Recommended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqxZoVLn6Tg

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

"The Devil Commands" I recommend highly! Very strange indeed- in fact, I would say it outdoes Karloffs other truly strange "The Invisible Ray" (1935) in the bizarre stakes!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Star Trek Beyond is out next month... but Chekov's actor Anton Yelchin has died aged 27. Car accident. :(

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think I know the actor you mean, Digi: a real loss at such a young age.

I am not really a Trek fan but the last two big screen films were pretty entertaining .

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I don't go to the pictures but I watched a fairly recent film last night. Premier of R.I.P.D. on channel 4 last night. I like Jeff Bridges especailly in westerns and he played a dead western marshall in this. Based on a comic strip i've never heard of (not surprising as I have nothing to do with modern comics for which you can thank Rob Liefield). I think I enjoyed it. It was fun anyway.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I like Jeff Bridges especailly in westerns and he played a dead western marshall in this.
Not much of an acting challenge though. Did he appear to be breathing at any point during the film? :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Well Jeff Bridges was alive even if his character wasn't. Method acting in this instance might have been fatal.

I liked the scene inside the RIPD precinct with all the cops from different stages in history. It looked like something Jack Kirby would have created.

England posers are losing to Iceland. Well if they go out they can spend more time concentrating on their hairstyles.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:England posers are losing to Iceland. Well if they go out they can spend more time concentrating on their hairstyles.
An immediate resignation by the manager would be mandatory in my opinion. I would keep Rooney, Wilshere, Rashford, Walker and Sterling, and dump the rest, with Hart first out of the door. The performance was very nearly as embarrassing as our defeat by the USA in the World Cup in Brazil in 1950.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just watched Suicide Squad and it was an enjoyable romp. It took a while to get started, but it pressed all the buttons for me. I enjoyed Margot Robbie as Harley, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag and Will Smith as Deadpool but nobody else really stood out which is a shame.

The movie feels like a set-up movie in that it is getting everyone ready for the Justice League of America movies which is coming.

Thankfully we have found a new cinema where we are only paying £6.50 for an adult ticket or I would have felt seriously short-changed if I had paid multiplex prices to see this. A solid 4 out of 5 from me.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

In extreme cases it is 12 quid to get in at the weekends [adult/3-D] as I am sure you are aware, Col. I can sometimes get brand new blu-rays for two quid!

I want to see this film but all the seats were taken [just about] on opening day, it was also sweltering on Friday, not really a day to be stuck in a packed cinema here : I will try again later....I will give this one a chance.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:In extreme cases it is 12 quid to get in at the weekends [adult/3-D] as I am sure you are aware, Col. I can sometimes get brand new blu-rays for two quid!

I want to see this film but all the seats were taken [just about] on opening day, it was also sweltering on Friday, not really a day to be stuck in a packed cinema here : I will try again later....I will give this one a chance.
On a Monday, you are still looking at £9 a head. £12 a head is not extreme, it is more than people can afford. A family of four can be looking at almost £50 for a movie on a Thursday let alone over £50 for the weekend of Friday to Sunday if you have two teens to take. I know that you can get blu-rays very cheaply but some movies are designed for the cinema, but just by finding the Kino chain, we have saved over £15 for a weekend showing.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

hiya Col----I saw Alien [1979] and Aliens [1986] as a re-issue at the cinema about three months ago [very good on the big screen] and I got these brand new on blu-ray for two pounds fifty each!

But I know what you mean about current films.

I pay just under 17 quid a month for all cinema: sometimes I manage 16 films a month [I do not have TV so it's feasible to sit through all that].

starscape

Post by starscape »

Well, I went to see Star Trek: Beyond. It was alright. Nothing special. Lots of play-it-by-numbers. Pretty clear where Simon Pegg's influence was re: the music. Hip hop saves the day. Hmmm. Plenty of unexplained aspects to the alien army and the usual lack of weapons technology, apart from unbelievably powerful spaceships, plus a reliance on fisticuffs. I mean really, if your command centre was being invaded, would the chief officer of the Royal Marines insist on duking it out, rather than pressing a laser canon?

A fairly standard 6/10.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies