Doctor Who 2011

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Doctor Who 2011

Post by Digifiend »

Could be that people aren't watching because they don't expect it to be on? It isn't normally on at this time of year.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

stevezodiac wrote:There was an article in the press this week saying people were switching off because the stories had become too complex. Send them away with a Peter Cushing dvd.
I read over on Gallifreybase that the viewing figures were fine (no worse than they've ever been) when iPlayer and timeshift are factored in. It seems the newspapers have another non-story.

I'm really enjoying Dr Who at the moment, and looking forward to this week's episode...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Some are saying it's too complex, but is it any more complex or convoluted than the storylines on the soaps? Not really. A bit more techno-babble, but otherwise fairly straightforward. My nine year old doesn't have any difficulty in following it, so the complexity issue is just a smokescreen IMO. A lot of people prefer to hide behind an excuse and this is an easy one to pick on.

I must admit that I am also looking forward to tomorrow's episode. New companion or a solo Doctor? Mmmm
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I pretty much stopped watching Doctor Who after the Flesh storyline began. While that particular episode was especially dire - plot holes and transparent devices all over the place - I'd been put off it for a while by Steven Moffat's fondness for resolving an intractably complex plot with a prompt explanation from the Doctor so hastily gabbled he hoped you wouldn't have time to think about it carefully and notice the gaping holes. Essentially, the entire series became one long Ass Pull.

I've nothing against complexity in principle, but I believe it shouldn't be treated lightly, and I get really turned off by writers who think their viewers will simply sit there vacuously absorbing every word and accepting it as the new truth, rather than trying to make some sense out of it all: "The Doctor always knows best, so if I can't see how his lecture can possibly explain everything, it must be a problem with me." Universes which don't make any kind of logical sense are fine, but Doctor Who is supposed to be a serious show.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: There's a photo in today's Sun I wasn't expecting to see. SPOILER: Craig gets cyber-converted!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Last night's episode was a great piece of set-up for the finale of this season. Nice light touches of comedy to go with the drama. After all, if you don't know light, how can you know dark?

On an aside, we visited the Doctor Who Experience today and it was brilliant! Dozens of piccies taken.

WALLET WARNING. If you take the kids, it gets expensive especially as the gift shop is ALL Doctor Who themed merchandise.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

All I can say on this series of Dr Who.
Bring back Russell T Davies and quick.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Going by the last Torchwood series I'm not at all sure about that. :?

- Phil R.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

philcom55 wrote:...Going by the last Torchwood series I'm not at all sure about that. :?

- Phil R.
I forgot about that, Torchwood was pretty awful wasn't it.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Well I thought tonight's Doctor Who was brilliant. Hooray for The Numskulls.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:Well I thought tonight's Doctor Who was brilliant. Hooray for The Numskulls.
SPOILER ALERT

LOL I had never thought of the Teselecta in those terms. It was a nice finish to an average season. Hopefully, they will pick their game up for the Christmas Special and the next season. But saying that, I remember when we had years of waiting eagerly for the next season and hoping it would be better than the direness of the last one.

For those that haven't watched it yet, be prepared for an unexpected twist. Just by saying the T word, I may have spoiled it. I hope I haven't but it is so much more fun than I had been expecting.

As to Torchwood, it should have been six episodes, not ten and so much tighter. Note to Editorial staff. Don't give in to the American executives. They think they know better but they don't.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The "previously on" segment included the "Numskulls" from Let's Kill Hitler, but out of context, it's not much of a spoiler. My mum wanted to watch X Factor though, so I'll watch both Doctor Who and Merlin on iPlayer later.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Lew Stringer wrote:Well I thought tonight's Doctor Who was brilliant. Hooray for The Numskulls.
Hoho.

Yes, that was a great ending. I almost shed a tear when he tried to phone the Brigadier...great scene, great writing.

Some of the episodes this year were a little dissapointing, but that's been the same for the last 32 series...

Well, arguably maybe series 14 was near to perfect - The Masque of Mandragora, Hand of Fear, Deadly Assassin, Face of Evil, Robots of Death, Talons of Weng Chiang...splendid episodes, all of them!
Last edited by -MikeD- on 02 Oct 2011, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Two brilliant twists at the end. The reveal of how the Doctor survived (the Teselecta also appeared in new footage flashbacks, so mentioning them wasn't a spoiler), and the first question that he's been running from forever... Doctor Who? They just turned a long running joke about the show's name into a plot point! :D

Some dumbos on the Digital Spy forum complained that the last name on the cast list was a major spoiler, before the episode was broadcast. That name was Nicholas Briggs as the voice of the Daleks, but the Dalek was pretty much just a cameo, so the BBC played that one brilliantly, including such a red herring.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

It was very good also fun to see how he got out of it...
loved the merging of times at the beginning..
also hope we'll see river Song again..nmice the doctor is visiting her in prision at night.. :)