Come on Andy

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Come on Andy

Post by Digifiend »

Speaking of Scottish football... Rangers in the Third Division, I wonder if a lot of attendance records will be broken at the other clubs in that division this season? Or will the newco Rangers prove unpopular (they've lost all their star names after all) resulting in one giant Celtic raspberry.

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

I will be surprised if Rangers start in Div 3 , or if they do I see a revamped Scottish league system (an SPL2 ) for next season (about time it's a mess at present) - there's talk of Rangers fans not going to a lot of the away grounds in order to "punish" the teams that voted them into League 3, but there was no option after what they (well the previous owners) did - sad really that in effect Rangers FC are no longer ( 5 Euro finals, 50 odd leagues, cups etc all gone) and we now have THE Rangers (founded 2012) - Strange thing is they will be playing Queens Park FC who along with Celtic own the 2 largest stadiums in Scotland (and with Ibrox that will be 2 of Europe's biggest stadiums in probably the lowest main league in Europe) Queens Pk could be playing in front of a full house at their ground (Hampden) for the first time since the 1930 when they played Rangers as it happens (att: 96,000 then) :lol:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I texted (without an answer) radio five several times asking if the new Rangers will retain all the trophies and honours of the old Rangers. Are you saying they won't?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Now that is a very good question Steve. I would assume that they will retain them for record purposes as they will maintain the same fan base.

It is sad that it is football being punised for the greed of the owners as this will cost the Scottish game millions in lost revenue, but I can see Rangers being back up there by 2016. If they don't they will be serious questions needing to be asked.

As to the supporting/not supporting England, I was rabid as a kid for not supporting England but as I have gotten older I have mellowed on that. I will support England in most sports but not in football or Rugby. That is more down to the so-called pundits than a rabid political stance as Euro 2012 was the first football tournament where 1966 wasn't mentioned 594 times before the first ball was even kicked!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

The compromise was that Rangers would give up a number of titles (and other things) in return for being placed in the SPL again. That didn't happen, so, although it's a new company, the Rangers fans can always maintain they have the titles. Celtic can say they don't.

Actually, I find it a bit ridiculous that the company is believed to be the football club. The Gers fans aren't going every weekend to support a company. That's just the people that manage the club.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

McSCOTTYS GHOST

From what I know. like Airdrie its a brand new team and the old teams record is suspended as is the name (Airdrieonians are now Airdrie United founded 2002 (not 1878) they have a new crest, new name and no record prior to 2002). Rangers have officially changed their name to THE Rangers FC " (from simply Rangers FC -minor change but it had to be done for legal reasons) they can keep the same kit/colours but should change the crest and MUST take the founded 1872 off or leave it blank or replace with founded 2012. Technically THE Rangers have not beeen accepted into the league yet as the SFA have the final say on their registration 9as the old Rangers no longer exists0 of course they will be accepted in. As far as FIFA /UEFA are concerned THE Rangers have never won a match let alone a European trophy, Scottish League, cup etc. The only issue on this being " officially" official is the old team has as far as I am aware not been dissolved as a business due to various obvious reasons - but the new team CANNOT claim the old teams history / records etc - sad day for football really no matter what team you support (well maybe not if you support Celtic lol)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Dundee have been allowed into the SPL which means the Dundee derbies are back. I know both teams play in the same street but is it true that when they play each other they get on the front of the team coach, walk to the back and get out at the emergency exit, alighting at their opponents ground?

McSCOTTYS GHOST

:lol: not sure about that but there grounds are the closest in world senior football - I think you could literally kick a ball from one ground to the other in the correct conditions (they are only a few yards away from each other) Dundee are another once great club by Scottish standards reaching the Semi final of the European cup in the early 60s (and the old Inter cities Fairs cup semis also) I have to say I enjoy the Dundee Derby always packed as is strangely enough the Ayrshire Derby (Kilmarnock v Ayr United) which is a pretty fierce rivalry. I reckon Celtic will have the league won by November

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Having been in Dundee many a time and gone past both and between both, you can kick a ball from the Dens Park side and have it bounce off Tannadice Park or vice versa. But it'd be a ruddy good punt as they are about a pitch length apart. Kick and rush merchants only.

Steve, that rumour about the coaches is completely unfounded as it means the owners don't get to save the money on the coach hire... :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

McSCOTTYS GHOST wrote:the Ayrshire Derby (Kilmarnock v Ayr United)
A couple of months ago I spent a very pleasant and relaxing holiday in a guest house in Miller Road in Ayr, although it took me a little while to get used to pronouncing the letter y. It is a lovely place, as are Alloway and Troon, which I also explored. One afternoon I went to Kilmarnock for the same purpose. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find anything there to recommend. Even the people seemed depressed. I didn't hang around.

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Kilmarnock has some lovely areas but its basically an ex industrial town in decline and not one of my favourites either - Ayr is very nice always enjoy a visit to see them play the Accies. However one of the bitterest rivalries in Scottish football is in Ayrshire in the Junior league (not kids - Junior just refers to the level ie Rangers , Celtic etc are Senior etc) between Cumnock Juniors and Auchinleck Talbot - the game is always packed out an din the last game in 2011between them it had to be stopped for a while due to fighting on the park by fans (there were mounted police in the park as well to deal with it ) - both have small populations a well (Cumnock around 13,000 and Auchinleck only about 4 ,000 but Auchinleck are by far the best team) when they play its always in the papers in Glasgow its so errr iconic!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

McSCOTTYS GHOST wrote:Ayr is very nice always enjoy a visit to see them play the Accies.
With STARBOY, that's now TWO Hamilton Academical supporters on this forum. Do we need to brace ourselves for a rush?

matrix

Post by matrix »

My favourite Scottish team has always been Hibernian, the reason for that is they were one of my Subbuteo teams, which I spent hours playing! To this day I always keep an eye out for them.

Toured Scotland years ago loved Loch Lomond, and Glencoe, I remember coming across some statues in the middle of the Highlands, miles from anywhere. Did anyone else see those?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

They were talking about Dundee last night on talksport and mentioned it was the home of DC Thomson. Danny Kelly suggested the Bash Street Kids might do a better job of running Scottish football - fitba. Said giving the vote to Dundee was a way of at least getting another popular local derby to replace Rangers/Celtic.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Quite a lot of interesting derbies next year:
The New Firm
The Tayside (with Perth not too far away)
The Highland
The Edinburgh
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies