A Comics Related Easter Egg from the New Doctor Who Series

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

A Comics Related Easter Egg from the New Doctor Who Series

Post by tony ingram »

One of the more irksome news stories about the latest series of Doctor Who (for those avoiding plot spoilers, anyway) was the leaking of rough cuts of the first several episodes online. But one observant fan watching a leaked copy of episode five claims to have found this rather nice little blink-and-you'll-miss-it Easter egg on a screen, which should warm the hearts of fans of the old Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly strips...

Last edited by tony ingram on 28 Aug 2014, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

big bad bri

Re: A Comics Related Easter Egg from the New Doctor Who Seri

Post by big bad bri »

What am i looking at ? :lol: I did buy the odd Dr Who weekly as a kid but don't know who it is.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

big bad bri wrote:What am i looking at ? :lol: I did buy the odd Dr Who weekly as a kid but don't know who it is.
That is Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer, created in 1979 by Steve Moore and Steve Dillon.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Bri is not the only puzzled member. I know I'm occasionally guilty of taking things literally but I wasted several minutes the day before yesterday looking for both an actual egg, and the relationship of any element in the picture to Easter. I've looked again this morning and I still haven't a clue. Explain please, Tony.

And this timing-out issue is really getting on my nerves. Get on the case, Al, please.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:Bri is not the only puzzled member. I know I'm occasionally guilty of taking things literally but I wasted several minutes the day before yesterday looking for both an actual egg, and the relationship of any element in the picture to Easter. I've looked again this morning and I still haven't a clue. Explain please, Tony.

And this timing-out issue is really getting on my nerves. Get on the case, Al, please.
An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke or hidden feature in a movie, TV show, videogame, or on a DVD. Sorry, it's a fairly well known expression these days, I assumed people would know it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you for the explanation, Tony. I've never seen or heard that expression before.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Did anyone see [i]Mummy on the Orient Express[/i] on Sat/repeat Sun/iPlayer :?:

So far it was my favourite Peter Capaldi Dr Who episode, what did everyone else think? Hopefully Peter C will stay for at least 4 series as he has had a great start.

He reminded me a little of Jon Pertwee's Dr as he dashed around the space-train.

If you've not seen it enjoy :)

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Muffy wrote:Did anyone see [i]Mummy on the Orient Express[/i] on Sat/repeat Sun/iPlayer :?:

So far it was my favourite Peter Capaldi Dr Who episode, what did everyone else think? Hopefully Peter C will stay for at least 4 series as he has had a great start.

He reminded me a little of Jon Pertwee's Dr as he dashed around the space-train.

Best of the series so far, I think.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Muffy wrote:Did anyone see [i]Mummy on the Orient Express[/i] on Sat/repeat Sun/iPlayer :?:

I really enjoyed it. Capaldi is great, and the story was direct and straightforward. Good stuff.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

Capaldi is starting to warm up to me and liked the episode. Not sure about the comparison with Jon Pertwee though. They are too different in my opinion (except for possibly the hair colour).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Capaldi lacks the sometimes laid-back charm of Pertwee - he's much more intense - but other than that he's the first of the 'new era' Doctors to really feel like he fits the role, IMO.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Capaldi has been great. A combination between Pertwee and Hartnell but with a touch of doubt. But I've enjoyed his callousness and steel.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Not to mention a cigar case full of jelly babies XD

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

There's something very Aspergers about Capaldi's depiction, and I am sufficiently biased to like that :)