Not just any old Amazon delivery rep.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Not just any old Amazon delivery rep.

Post by stevezodiac »

Blimey has anybody told them?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Oh blimey to this entire thread!
24 hours later but no apology so far from comixminx, I notice. :o :? :shock:

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Well, I'm quite enjoying these comments.
In my experience, the delivery guys round our way have been really good. However, where I work, I have noticed a definite increase in deliveries that seem to be coming from a random bloke, or woman, in a beaten up estate car with no uniform on and the back of the car rammed to the roof with parcels. Is this everywhere, or is it Dorset's version of the gig economy?!!
Scccrrruunnge

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

DJDogfart wrote:Well, I'm quite enjoying these comments.
In my experience, the delivery guys round our way have been really good. However, where I work, I have noticed a definite increase in deliveries that seem to be coming from a random bloke, or woman, in a beaten up estate car with no uniform on and the back of the car rammed to the roof with parcels. Is this everywhere, or is it Dorset's version of the gig economy?!!
That'll be MyHermes. Almost perfect description of the lady that delivers parcels to me!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Two mentions of gig economy. I do not have a clue what that means can someone enlighten me?

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Steve

From the BBC News website, "...According to one definition, it is "a labour market characterised by the prevalence of short-term contracts or freelance work, as opposed to permanent jobs".
And - taking opposing partisan viewpoints - it is either a working environment that offers flexibility with regard to employment hours, or... it is a form of exploitation with very little workplace protection..."

I suspect that these Deliveroo cyclists I see all over the place are part of the "gig economy"

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

I have nothing against it, as long as it suits the employee. Although I think I would prefer my post to be delivered by someone in a marked vehicle and wearing some sort of uniform.
There was a bit on the radio the other day, where delivery drivers were noticing people running from them as they drove into a crowded area - a reaction to the terrorist attacks of recent years. It must be difficult for them to reassure people without getting out of the vehicle. I had never looked at it from their perspective until then.
Sorry, seem to have strayed from the original thread a little
Scccrrruunnge

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:That'll be MyHermes. Almost perfect description of the lady that delivers parcels to me!
Hermes delivered today a parcel of five hardback football/school novels from the 20s/30s, four written by Sydney Horler, the fifth by Sidney Horler, that I bought a few days ago as a job lot on eBay. Again I didn't hear the bell. I think it must be the noise from my computer tower that's to blame. My next door neighbours took it in, and Hermes posted the details of where to go for my parcel on an official slip.
DJDogfart wrote:Sorry, seem to have strayed from the original thread a little
Back on track now DJD.

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Excellent service today from royal mail. My wife had a certificate delivered yesterday from Bournemouth University (she's the clever one in our house!). It needed to be signed for. When I got home from work yesterday one of our neighbours came out and gave it to me.
This morning, we were walking the dogs and our postie pulled up in the van and checked she got the envelope safely!
We are lucky that most of the people living around us are retired. Think we are the only ones around here who still have a mortgage!!
Scccrrruunnge

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DJDogfart wrote:Excellent service today from royal mail. My wife had a certificate delivered yesterday from Bournemouth University (she's the clever one in our house!). It needed to be signed for. When I got home from work yesterday one of our neighbours came out and gave it to me.
This morning, we were walking the dogs and our postie pulled up in the van and checked she got the envelope safely!
We are lucky that most of the people living around us are retired. Think we are the only ones around here who still have a mortgage!!
The van thing happened to me yesterday. I was out walking my dogs when the postie stopped his van and shouted 'got a parcel for you!!, if you're back home in 5 minutes you'll get it !!' I was, and I did.

Strangest delivery I ever heard of (actually it was a non-delivery), was a few years ago when I sold a board game on ebay. The buyer contacted me a week or so after the sale to ask where it was (I had posted it straight away as it happens). On making enquiries with the post office, it turns out that they had sub-contracted the delivery to the local milk man who had then either kept it for himself or managed to lose it !! I did get a refund and so did my buyer.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was expecting a parcel of DC Thomson women's papers last week but they still hadn't arrived by Saturday. I went to the high street early so I'd get back in time for the post. My usual bus was too long in coming so I got a different route which meant going through back streets. Luckily I saw the postman and asked him if he'd done my street yet. He said no but pulled out my package and gave it to me. I flashed my 60+ oyster card as ID.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:
comixminx wrote:Oh blimey to this entire thread!
24 hours later but no apology so far from comixminx, I notice. :o :? :shock:
Apology from me, Phoenix? What for?! I was sympathizing with all those hard-done by on the delivery front! Obviously not very clearly but still. Perhaps I should have added some appropriate emoticons? such as :grouphug:
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Apology from me, Phoenix? What for?
Look, comixminx, you are an intelligent woman so you don't really need me to explain why an apology would have been appropriate, do you? I'm sure that when you wrote "Oh blimey to this entire thread" everybody will have interpreted the comment as dismissive - as giving a verbal trashing to my thread, obviously not just to my comments either as others had responded before you did, so the flak spread out.
comixminx wrote:I was sympathizing with all those hard-done by on the delivery front!
Well I've reread the relevant posts and I'm seriously struggling to see where you are doing that.
comixminx wrote:Obviously not very clearly
Quite.
comixminx wrote:Perhaps I should have added some appropriate emoticons? such as :grouphug:
I really don't need members to use emoticons. I am perfectly comfortable with their words.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Well I can certainly apologise for posting in a hurry and putting in insufficient words to make myself clear - and then not looking back for a while, which obviously made things worse! But no, my 'oh blimey to this entire thread' wasn't at all intended to mean that I was dismissing it and your struggles. I meant 'oh blimey' as in 'what a nightmare for you and all others who have faced the difficulty of delivery people, as per their stories on this thread'.

Sorry, I didn't at all mean it to be dismissive and I will be more careful with my words and posting another time. But I would also hope that you would take our previous positive interactions into account and assume I would be unlikely to be giving a wide-spread verbal trashing - giving me the benefit of the doubt.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Well I can certainly apologise for posting in a hurry and putting in insufficient words to make myself clear - and then not looking back for a while, which obviously made things worse!
Apology accepted with good grace.
comixminx wrote:I would also hope that you would take our previous positive interactions into account and assume I would be unlikely to be giving a wide-spread verbal trashing - giving me the benefit of the doubt.
That's fine with me. I never wanted to fall out with you in the first place.