Jim's Emporium

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Jim's Emporium

Post by Phoenix »

I spent this afternoon in Liverpool on a kind of farewell tour. I bought two books in all three main secondhand bookshops. From Michael's shop just up London Road I got two chunky near-mint hardbacks with pristine dustwrappers for £5 each, The Lore Of Scotland : A Guide To Scottish Legends by Jennifer Westwood and Sophia Kingshill, and Myths And Legends Of The British Isles by Richard Barber. From Gerard's shop up Mount Pleasant I got two paperbacks in as-new condition, Thirty-One Nil : On The Road With Football's Outsiders by James Montague (Bloomsbury) and radio presenter Bob Harris's autobiography Bob Harris : Still Whispering After All These Years at £2 each, and from Kernaghan Books in the Bluecoat Chambers I picked up Drawn From Memory Drawn From Life, the autobiography of Ernest H Shepard (£3) and The Enduring Game : AN I-SPYCLOPAEDIA 1948 - 1993 a much thinner book at £5 by Francis Hertzberg (1993). Father Francis's original tome was published in 1953. He was living in Higher Bebington in the Wirral at the time. We were in contact way back in the seventies when he put quite a lot of his Thomsons' story papers for boys up for sale in Book And Magazine Collector, and I think we met once when I went over to collect some purchased items to save him the p&p.

With a similar purpose I went to Jim's Emporium in the basement shopping area in Renshaw Street to say goodbye to Jim. He wasn't there although his homely little shop was. The new tenants told me that he had simply removed all his stock somewhere round Christmas time and disappeared. Apparently, according to these new people he is still doing car boots. I imagine they will be in or around Orrell Park, where he is presumably still living. Orrell Park is roughly half way between Liverpool Central station and the town where I live.