Hullo!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

werepuppy

Hullo!

Post by werepuppy »

Wow, I feel like I should be sitting on a bucket for this...

Hullo, all! First of all, thank you for accepting me on the forum. It's really great to find a place to talk about comics that come out in the UK and better still to find one that is a forum and not a Facebook page. (I have an FB, but I don't really like it for a lot of interactions. The odd thing, but I prefer forums, if I'm honest with you.)

I'm a life-long fan of The Beano, having read it for as long as I can remember, even if I've fallen off the weekly issue reading. I still get the annual every Christmas, and am doing my best to replace older ones I've read to pieces. My hey-day of reading them were the mid to late 90s, and the early to mid naughties.
As such, you might be able to guess I'm a big fan of the Mike Pearse long stories - and he was one of my all time favourite Bash Street artists.

As a Scot, I am also a life-long fan of The Broons and Oor Wullie, and it's still tradition to make sure I pick up those annuals as well. (Actually, I very recently saw Oor Wullie the Musical and I have to admit it's a rare wee treat. Definitely worth trying to get tickets for, if you're near any of the tour venues.)

I also really liked the Corpse Talk strip from The Phoenix, having picked up the two collected volumes at Glasgow Comic Con a few years past.

Looking forward to being able to talk about comics with you all!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Hullo!

Post by colcool007 »

Welcome to the funhouse Werepuppy. I did think of going to the Rep to see the musical but unfortunately I had other demands on my wallet. I am not that far from you being in Fife myself and I can help you replace those issues as I have four boxes of Beano and Dandy issues in mint condition taking up room in my lobby!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

werepuppy

Post by werepuppy »

colcool007 wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 18:32
Welcome to the funhouse Werepuppy. I did think of going to the Rep to see the musical but unfortunately I had other demands on my wallet. I am not that far from you being in Fife myself and I can help you replace those issues as I have four boxes of Beano and Dandy issues in mint condition taking up room in my lobby!
Thank you!

I actually saw it at the Theatre Royal, in Glasgow, which was the first leg of the tour. I will admit, I enjoyed it enough to get tickets for another date on the tour. It feels like the cast (and the creative team) have a decent understanding of the characters, and know which parts to play up for better laughs. Actually makes me fairly curious for the upcoming Dennis the Menace musical, since it comes from the same production company. (though having spoken to Nigel Parkinson about it last year at the Braehead Film and Comic Con, he didn't seem too enthused...)

Oh that would be interesting! I'm mostly looking to re-get old annuals, but seeing old issues would be fantastic.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Swapmeet 6.jpg
I will be in Glasgow for Swapmeet Six. I may have some comics to tempt you with as I am taking a range of comic from Battle to Beano to Bunty. From Warlord to World of Wonder. I will have comics for all tastes. I am even taking some series 1 Wizard so if you fancy comics featuring some of the earliest Ian Kennedy you will find, then I have a few to tempt you with.

werepuppy

Post by werepuppy »

colcool007 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 09:22
I will be in Glasgow for Swapmeet Six. I may have some comics to tempt you with as I am taking a range of comic from Battle to Beano to Bunty. From Warlord to World of Wonder. I will have comics for all tastes. I am even taking some series 1 Wizard so if you fancy comics featuring some of the earliest Ian Kennedy you will find, then I have a few to tempt you with.
Oh! I've never heard of Swapmeet before. I think I don't have anything on that day, so it should be very possible to come along. This will be a right delight, no matter if I manage to find something or not - it's always great to find new comic based stuff. Hm, I don't have any stuff to swap myself... Probably should have some cash in the pocket.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

werepuppy wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 13:35
colcool007 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 09:22
Oh! I've never heard of Swapmeet before. I think I don't have anything on that day, so it should be very possible to come along. This will be a right delight, no matter if I manage to find something or not - it's always great to find new comic based stuff. Hm, I don't have any stuff to swap myself... Probably should have some cash in the pocket.
I wouldn't worry about having nothing to swap. There are going to be 17 collectors with tables groaning with their doubles. If you are into British comics, there will be something there for you. Personally, most of my swaps will be 1970s weeklies, but I will have weeklies from the 1940s to the 1980s, picture libraries and annuals thrown in for good measure.

As to the guests, I am sure you have heard of the artists Ian Kennedy and Colin MacNeil. If not, Google is your friend. As to Calum Laird, Calum worked for D C Thomson for 36 years and worked as a sub-Editor and Editor on titles as diverse as Commando, Judy, Mandy and Bunty to name but a few. We may also have a surprise guest who worked on the Dandy and Beano and is great friends with Ian, but I can't say any more in case it doesn't happen.

Even now, six weeks ahead, I am already preparing boxes to take along and my Commando box and 2000AD boxes are already good to go! This is only the second Swap meet to take place in Scotland as 1,2,4,5 and 7 have or will take place in various parts of England. To give you an idea of how good they are, I ended up boosting my collection by over 1000 Picture Libraries at Swap Meet 3 and Ian Kennedy declared it to be more profitable for him that Thought Bubble!

werepuppy

Post by werepuppy »

colcool007 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 08:22
I wouldn't worry about having nothing to swap. There are going to be 17 collectors with tables groaning with their doubles. If you are into British comics, there will be something there for you. Personally, most of my swaps will be 1970s weeklies, but I will have weeklies from the 1940s to the 1980s, picture libraries and annuals thrown in for good measure.

As to the guests, I am sure you have heard of the artists Ian Kennedy and Colin MacNeil. If not, Google is your friend. As to Calum Laird, Calum worked for D C Thomson for 36 years and worked as a sub-Editor and Editor on titles as diverse as Commando, Judy, Mandy and Bunty to name but a few. We may also have a surprise guest who worked on the Dandy and Beano and is great friends with Ian, but I can't say any more in case it doesn't happen.

Even now, six weeks ahead, I am already preparing boxes to take along and my Commando box and 2000AD boxes are already good to go! This is only the second Swap meet to take place in Scotland as 1,2,4,5 and 7 have or will take place in various parts of England. To give you an idea of how good they are, I ended up boosting my collection by over 1000 Picture Libraries at Swap Meet 3 and Ian Kennedy declared it to be more profitable for him that Thought Bubble!
Oh, that's fantastic to know! I'll make sure to have some cash on me. I'm really looking forward to this!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Are we going to see many of our Northern collectors in Glasgow on Saturday. There will definitely be comics going back to the 1960s and maybe even further back.