Our Colin (aka colcool007)

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Our Colin (aka colcool007)

Post by AndyB »

stevezodiac wrote:
17 May 2021, 16:52
Excuse my ignorance but what is QM? And where can we read this tribute?
Captain Sean Hardgrave, Commando Quartermaster, on page 66 of the current four issues of Commando.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:
17 May 2021, 16:52
Excuse my ignorance but what is QM? And where can we read this tribute?
Here’s the QM’s piece:
Attachments
499B2270-F119-4161-88C2-C5BBD3A04337.jpeg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

And this is the latest issue of Comics unlimited
Attachments
5BDB82FF-AAA3-4A33-8063-3B661482017B.jpeg
D9584542-8EDE-4D48-BFF3-5293EB5E4864.jpeg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks for those. Nice tributes to a nice bloke.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

just learnt that col has died... so devastating to hear! Though we never met personally, we had a good few exchanges through this website to the extent that we shared a mutual respect and fondness for each other. I'll share an episode between us that no one knows... not even col. Once, he was championing the artwork of Mike Dorey and was seeking a copy of 2000AD no. 8 that featured Dorey's art in the Invasion series. I volunteered that i had a spare copy and would send him it free of charge. Obviously, he was excited about this. Then, on going through my collection, i realized i hadn't a spare copy: i had a spare of copy of no. 6 that Col didn't want. Through gritted teeth, i sent Col my only copy of no.8 because I promised. I never told him this because i knew he would have sent it straight backi! I went on to purchase another copy of 2000AD no. 8 at double price that i originally paid... ha-ha, cheers, Col. You were one of the best!!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

geoff42 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 23:50
just learnt that col has died... so devastating to hear! Though we never met personally, we had a good few exchanges through this website to the extent that we shared a mutual respect and fondness for each other. I'll share an episode between us that no one knows... not even col. Once, he was championing the artwork of Mike Dorey and was seeking a copy of 2000AD no. 8 that featured Dorey's art in the Invasion series. I volunteered that i had a spare copy and would send him it free of charge. Obviously, he was excited about this. Then, on going through my collection, i realized i hadn't a spare copy: i had a spare of copy of no. 6 that Col didn't want. Through gritted teeth, i sent Col my only copy of no.8 because I promised. I never told him this because i knew he would have sent it straight backi! I went on to purchase another copy of 2000AD no. 8 at double price that i originally paid... ha-ha, cheers, Col. You were one of the best!!
That was a sacrifice I'd have found hard to make! :shock: But Col did tend to bring out the best in people.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Colin would have loved that story. As I was completing my Commando set, I only needed 2 issues that weren’t early ones but they were all I needed. Colin sent me both issues from his collection as he didn’t think he’d ever manage a full set anyway. I really appreciated that and was so pleased a few years later when he completed his set too.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

it really is in the last 14 months that "death" has touched me with great poignance. I've lost grandparents and relatives but none really ever touched me. Then, i lost my faithful dog of 14 years that greatly touched me (believe it or not!) Then, 8 months ago i lost my father. I still have tearful occasions now. It's so sad. And when i learnt about Col, even though i'd never met him and had kind of neglected this website in recent times, his death touched me deeply. It kind of tells you: never take anything for granted... when it's gone... it's gone! Whatever you have now... embrace it! Tomorrow, it might not be there to embrace I know.... it's getting morbid! So, on a happier note.... Col provided a great service with regard to UK comics and will always be remembered and treasured. God bless him!

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Well said Geoff.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

geoff42 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 23:28
it really is in the last 14 months that "death" has touched me with great poignance. I've lost grandparents and relatives but none really ever touched me. Then, i lost my faithful dog of 14 years that greatly touched me (believe it or not!)
Not really sure why we wouldn't believe that, Geoff. I lost my cat, Custard, last Saturday, my constant companion for thirteen years. It was very sudden and I'm still devastated. Condolences.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

I haven't seen this until now. I'm very sad to hear of his Colcool007s passing.
He was always helpful in my quest to identify brittish comics published in Sweden.
My condolences.

SID

Post by SID »

I have just seen this thread and am so saddened to hear that colcool007 has passed away from cancer and so young too (he was the same age as my younger brother).

I never knew him though we had brief interactions on this forum. However, for me he stood out of the ComicsUK crowd with him being an avid Commando collector and that his avatar is Bill Savage of the Invasion strip from the early 2000 AD.

It is strange (or maybe not) but since the death of my own father of cancer 8 years ago this month, I do seem to find deaths affect me far more now.

RIP colcool. :(
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Colin's wife has now decided that she won't be keeping Colin's collection and has sent the whole lot, some 30,000 ish items, to me to sell on her behalf. I have been trying to sort through the collection over the last couple of weeks to get some kind or organisation going. I've decided the best way is to sell off some of the more obvious parts of the collection that I can easily get to, and then steadily go through the remainder over the next year or so.
If anyone here knows of some particular part of Col's collection that they'd be interested in, by all means contact me. We have created a dedicated Facebook group this evening and have started loading some of his comics already on two different ebay acounts under the user-names 1998jjb and Tanstaafl98
The Facebook sales group can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/414468220069644
The collection has art, comics, free gifts, books on comics, Fanzines, Graphic Novels, Picture Libraries and all sorts of oddities collected by Colin over his lifetime for his chosen passion of comics. 95% are British, but I'm already finding some foreign comics as well.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A year ago today that we lost our friend Colin.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Really??? Boy, that went quickly.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies