Our Colin (aka colcool007)

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Al
Sir!

Our Colin (aka colcool007)

Post by Al »

Chaps and chapesses,

Doug Brian on the Warlord Facebook group has recently written this message:

Many of you have probably noticed that joint admin Colin Noble has been conspicuous by his absence on the comic chats recently.

It is with an extremely heavy heart that his wife Karen has asked me to inform all those who know him here, that he has sadly been very unwell and has now been diagnosed with terminal cancer and has been informed that it’s level of aggression means that they are expecting the worst in a fairly short time.

He is heading home tomorrow hopefully with the relative support needed. Karen said that any messages left will be passed on to him and she would like to keep them for a keepsake herself. He called me this morning for the first time in a week and we didn’t manage to talk for more than a minute.

To say I was gutted when I heard about this news is a massive understatement. Some things in life strike you dumb when you find out about something as traumatic as this, and this is such an occasion. His knowledge of comics is immense and I'm very envious of that, but I'm glad he's been here to share it. I know that he is very active on many other forums and he shares his knowledge and love of the genre on them as well.

I've sent my own email to Colin to offer my feelings, thanks and to let him know that I will be mentioning this news here. I hope that his wife Karen will get a chance to read it to him.

I've been knocked cold by this news.

Thanks for everything Colin

Love and respect man,

Al

Adam Eterno

Re: Our Colin (aka colcool007)

Post by Adam Eterno »

Thanks Al, I was going to post something this evening here. Karen is seeing him this afternoon and staying the night in hospital. They’re hoping he’ll be home in the next couple of days.

Doug/Adam

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Al wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 13:05
Chaps and chapesses,

Doug Brian on the Warlord Facebook group has recently written this message:

Many of you have probably noticed that joint admin Colin Noble has been conspicuous by his absence on the comic chats recently.

It is with an extremely heavy heart that his wife Karen has asked me to inform all those who know him here, that he has sadly been very unwell and has now been diagnosed with terminal cancer and has been informed that it’s level of aggression means that they are expecting the worst in a fairly short time.

He is heading home tomorrow hopefully with the relative support needed. Karen said that any messages left will be passed on to him and she would like to keep them for a keepsake herself. He called me this morning for the first time in a week and we didn’t manage to talk for more than a minute.

To say I was gutted when I heard about this news is a massive understatement. Some things in life strike you dumb when you find out about something as traumatic as this, and this is such an occasion. His knowledge of comics is immense and I'm very envious of that, but I'm glad he's been here to share it. I know that he is very active on many other forums and he shares his knowledge and love of the genre on them as well.

I've sent my own email to Colin to offer my feelings, thanks and to let him know that I will be mentioning this news here. I hope that his wife Karen will get a chance to read it to him.

I've been knocked cold by this news.

Thanks for everything Colin

Love and respect man,

Al
That comes from both Al and myself.

Colin and I hoped to meet a number of times when I was visiting Edinburgh, but life got in the way, and I got to sell some of his wares on his behalf at Enniskillen and Omagh Comic Fests in 2019.

Colin has been a good friend to me, and there is a whole corner of Facebook messenger with great conversations between us.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I am extremely saddened by this news. I have known Colin for many a long year, a friendship based on our mutual interest in story papers, especially those produced by D C Thomsons. We have not been in contact for some considerable time but I will never forget his and Karen's kindness in offering to put me up one night when we had far more to say than the time in which to say it before I needed to get the train back to central London in order to catch a train back to Liverpool, then onward by Merseyrail to Maghull where I lived at that time. The conversation even continued the following morning over breakfast. Fortunately my ticket was not for a specific train. My thoughts tonight are with Colin, Karen, and the children, who will be adults by now.
'Phoenix', aka Derek Marsden

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

So sorry to hear about Colin's Cancer diagnosis and subsequent prognosis. As with all who suffer terminal illnesses, wish I could make them well again. ☹️
Well, hello there! :wave:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I am collecting all messages left for Colin and passing them to Karen. She called me an hour ago and is with him in hospital and has been overwhelmed by the love shown for Colin. When he’s awake, she’s reading them to him but hopes he’ll be able to read them himself at some time. She believes the positivity shown will help him immensely. On their behalf, I thank you with all my heart.

Personally I ‘met’ him originally on this forum many years ago and he has become a very good friend through our love of comics. It’s amazing, the number of people he’s touched with his enthusiasm and knowledge of comics originally, and his natural personality subsequently.

Goof

Post by Goof »

I didn’t know Colin personally, and had no contact with him bar one or two friendly exchanges on this forum, but I’m one of many who has benefitted from his huge knowledge of comics, and his generosity in sharing that knowledge on this forum and elsewhere. Please pass on my thanks and best wishes.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

It is with great sadness that I have just heard that Colin has passed. Awful news. Words fail me. RIP colcool007

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

So quickly. It's the sheer speed of it that's unbelievable.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

What more can one say? I can only echo Adam Eterno's comment, R.I.P Colin. We were friends at a distance, but friends remain friends wherever they may be.

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Adam is correct, awful news. He was a friend, and at times a fellow researcher, but his work and results put me to shame. Colin was also one of our small group of fans who met for (or bumped into each other at) cons and marts here in Scotland. His knowledge and desire for information were legendary but more importantly, there was never a dull moment when in Colin's company.
We have lost one of the good guys. I'll miss him terribly.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wow, he must've deteriorated quickly, what a shame. Condolences to his family. RIP.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

This is terrible news. Heartfelt condolences to Karen and his family. Colin's passing is a great loss to the world of comic collecting and comic research. He was a true enthusiast whose love of the subject was truly inspiring to those that knew him down the years. He never lost his passion for comic collecting and the desire to unravel the mysteries that went into the creation of the comics we all loved. Goodnight and God Bless Colin, you will be much missed.

Helen Fay

Post by Helen Fay »

I'm shocked and saddened by this news. It's all happened so quickly. I was never lucky enough to meet Colin in person, but it's obvious what a top bloke he was, with an encyclopedic knowledge of, and enthusiasm for comics. Condolences to his wife, family and friends. He will be much missed. Rest well x

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Can't comprehend what's happened. It's so unfair. My sincere condolences to Colin's family at this sad time.
Well, hello there! :wave: