Strip Magazine - Who's buy the first issue?

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Strip Magazine - Who's buy the first issue?

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:Just Google the word and you'll get both the official and urban dictionary links.
Thanks for the advice but surely you are not telling me, Raven, that my dictionary is less authoritative than Google. I'm now sorely tempted to accept the offer from the Folio Society for the two-volume Shorter English Dictionary for £19.95 plus p&p, as opposed to its RRP of 309.99. Yes, I know I would have to buy four books in the year as well but it should be cost effective, and I do buy books anyway. :roll: :D

Raven

Post by Raven »

Phoenix wrote:
Raven wrote:Just Google the word and you'll get both the official and urban dictionary links.
Thanks for the advice but surely you are not telling me, Raven, that my dictionary is less authoritative than Google.
Well, Google does link to definitions and etymologies from several dictionaries, including Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.Com and The Free Dictionary, so if they include it and yours doesn't, maybe they are!

I almost always look up word definitions online nowadays. Get with it, Daddio!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:Well, Google does link to definitions and etymologies from several dictionaries, including Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.Com and The Free Dictionary, so if they include it and yours doesn't, maybe they are!
I am not averse to looking things up on the internet, Raven, even though you clearly think I'm some sort of Luddite. The fact is that I had never come across the word dowly before and, as it isn't in my authoritative English dictionary, I asked here for its meaning. I have not yet been given that. I don't know whether it is a nationally accepted word for whatever it means, or one that is only common in a particular region, such as Cambridgeshire where Anorak783 lives, or Scotland or Wales perhaps. The three dictionaries you mention are all American, as is Google. Is it therefore in use just in America? Could you please simply tell me what it means and explain its etymology, rather than redirect me again to the ether.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Holy F****** S***!
Might this expression of surprise be just a little OTT, and indeed somewhat unbecoming of a moderator? :roll: :D
Never unbecoming to be excited at the news of a comic selling out of its' print run.

Also this word dowly is one that I have never heard of before and was surprised to see it comes from N Yorks.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Well, on Thursday 11th November 2011, I came home from work and found a package from Forbidden Planet. Yes - it was my copies of No.1 of Strip Magazine...

...and what a first issue.

Already in my book, it has all the makings of becoming worthy of joining the ranks of such classics as 2000AD, Starlord, Warrior and Eagle (1950).

And how many comics gets their own section here at ComicsUK so quickly (if at all)??

So to mirror the sentiments of my fellow posters out there: It was bloody brilliant!

My only regret is that it is not a weekly.

Now if I can only subscribe online.

:cheers: :cheers:, Strip Magazine and good luck for the future.

Note: Interesting article about Forbidden Planet. Especially about their comment that 2000AD and CLiNT running neck and neck. So I have bought the latest issue to see what it is like.
Last edited by SID on 11 Nov 2011, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Terry

Post by Terry »

Got my copy delivered this morning, thats my bedtime reading sorted for tonight

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

After a frustrating week, of trying to get it at my local newsagent (he sells a large selection of Marvel), I have weakened and ordered it online from FP as the closest shop where I might be able to get it is about 3 miles and an hour off my commute. I really hope that it is as good as I hope it to be or I will be looking for John Freeman with a baseball bat! :lol:

SID

Post by SID »

colcool007 wrote:After a frustrating week, of trying to get it at my local newsagent (he sells a large selection of Marvel), I have weakened and ordered it online from FP as the closest shop where I might be able to get it is about 3 miles and an hour off my commute. I really hope that it is as good as I hope it to be or I will be looking for John Freeman with a baseball bat! :lol:
If you love comics, then you should like this one. You may have to wait a week for the delivery though. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:After a frustrating week, of trying to get it at my local newsagent (he sells a large selection of Marvel), I have weakened and ordered it online from FP as the closest shop where I might be able to get it is about 3 miles and an hour off my commute. I really hope that it is as good as I hope it to be or I will be looking for John Freeman with a baseball bat! :lol:
Why are some people still looking for it in newsagents? It's not available in newsagents. Not even the ones that sell the Panini Marvel reprints.

Comic shops only at present.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

SID wrote:And how many comics gets their own section here at ComicsUK so quickly (if at all)??

Maybe clint should have its own section as well now or are we calling that a magazine. :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

big bad bri wrote:
SID wrote:And how many comics gets their own section here at ComicsUK so quickly (if at all)??

Maybe Clint should have its own section as well now or are we calling that a magazine. :D
I think that the difference is the "buzz". Many of us here were willing to give Clint a go as a magazine, but as a comic, it was lacking somewhat. Now I know that the Megazine has the 2/3 comic, 1/3 features as a model and it works fairly well. But as a fan who has yet to get his copy of STRIP (those who already have a copy can correct me), I am hoping that it will be closer to the model of 90% comic, 10% feature.

As to the swiftness, that is down to buy-in by each one of us and how much we (as the admin team) are willing to build that extra forum. We are human after all.

Anorak783

Post by Anorak783 »

Phoenix wrote:
Raven wrote:Well, Google does link to definitions and etymologies from several dictionaries, including Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.Com and The Free Dictionary, so if they include it and yours doesn't, maybe they are!
I am not averse to looking things up on the internet, Raven, even though you clearly think I'm some sort of Luddite. The fact is that I had never come across the word dowly before and, as it isn't in my authoritative English dictionary, I asked here for its meaning. I have not yet been given that. I don't know whether it is a nationally accepted word for whatever it means, or one that is only common in a particular region, such as Cambridgeshire where Anorak783 lives, or Scotland or Wales perhaps. The three dictionaries you mention are all American, as is Google. Is it therefore in use just in America? Could you please simply tell me what it means and explain its etymology, rather than redirect me again to the ether.
"Dowly" is simply a phrase that my Gran used in her later days when she went a bit potty. It simply meant that she was fed up with something, eg: "Dowly day today, in't it?". The phrase continues to be commonly used by members of my family to this day and my friends have never queried it.

My Gran was from Hull.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Anorak783 wrote:"Dowly" is simply a phrase that my Gran used in her later days when she went a bit potty. It simply meant that she was fed up with something, eg: "Dowly day today, in't it?". The phrase continues to be commonly used by members of my family to this day and my friends have never queried it. My Gran was from Hull.
Thank you for that explanation, Anorak. At least I now know why I had never heard the word used. :D I bet Digi hasn't heard it either, and he lives in Hull.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You're right. Dowly isn't a familiar word to me.

SID

Post by SID »

Now the question is: Who is going to buy the 2nd issue?