Lion covers from ebay...

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Lion covers from ebay...

Post by Peter Gray »

philcom55

Lion covers from ebay...

Post by philcom55 »

...All by the criminally underrated Geoff Campion - very much an 'artist's artist' who could draw almost anything and make it look ridiculously easy. As the normal cover artist for Lion during this period he was probably the only person who got to produce definitive versions of virtually all the classic characters on a regular basis (The Spider, Robot Archie, Captain Condor, Karl the Viking, Spellbinder...even Dan Dare!).

- Phil Rushton

Captain Storm

Lion covers from ebay...

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Peter,deja vu!I have all these ebay images on my hard drive already.I have a few more of Lion here http://adameternoforever.tripod.com/

Peter Gray

Lion covers from ebay...

Post by Peter Gray »

Ebay can be very useful for making websites.....I know Look-in website is doing this collecting covers for his site

.those covers I felt could be used for something...also hoped it would spark interest here...

I just love the eye catching covers....thanks for the info on the artist

hope you use them for something Captain Storm..

You could if willing create a site to show all the covers in order...of Lion and Champion...Lion and Eagle.....concentrating on the whole picture covers...
Anyway they look good here... 8)

Lew Stringer

Re: Lion covers from ebay...

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:...All by the criminally underrated Geoff Campion - very much an 'artist's artist' who could draw almost anything and make it look ridiculously easy.

- Phil Rushton

Agreed. I think Campion was my favourite artist of the Fleetway/IPC adventure titles. I remember the day I first saw his work, - a fantastic full colour Custer page in Jag (1968). Then later, the reprints of his Battle for Britain strip in Smash!, his annual covers, his Smash! covers... good strong lively artwork.

Lew

Kashgar
Guru

Lion covers from ebay...

Post by Kashgar »

Might be an interesting little project to catalogue as many of Geoff Campion's Lion picture covers as possible as this is the sort of info that doesn't find its way into books like the Lion Index or The Fleetway Companion.

Captain Storm

Lion covers from ebay...

Post by Captain Storm »

I've got a few Fleetway Stupendous Series books featuring The Steel Claw and The Spider plus Jag Annual 1971 featuring The Indestructible Man.

Peter,all the Lion covers on the Adam Eterno site are pertinent to the characters appearances so Champion,etc would not really fit in.Also my scans are from source not ebay.The scans I do have from ebay are just for my own interests as you normally don't see them otherwise.If I start any more websites I'll have to give up work :wink: