Whizzer and Chips - IPC's definitive comic.

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Whizzer and Chips - IPC's definitive comic.

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:£2.50 postage for that single issue!
Sounds about right if the comic is packed securely between stiff card and inside a jiffy bag. Those jiffy bags are about £1 each.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Raven wrote:£2.50 postage for that single issue!
Sounds about right if the comic is packed securely between stiff card and inside a jiffy bag. Those jiffy bags are about £1 each.

You can buy jiffys in bulk much cheaper each - at Poundland or other cheapo type places. It's even being sent second class.

I've had some wonderfully packaged comics recently from Ebay that postage and packing wise have clearly only come to a fraction of this kind of price. £1.50/(£1.75 at a push) would be more sensible for one comic.

Anyway, nice cover.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

I'm curious who drew this Wonder-Car story? Sometime in the very end of 1969 or very early in 1970 it became yet another adventure strip in Whizzer and Chips. Here is a sample from issue dated 28th February, 1970. The strip was later reprinted in Whoopee I believe:

Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Raven

Post by Raven »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:I'm curious who drew this Wonder-Car story? Sometime in the very end of 1969 or very early in 1970 it became yet another adventure strip in Whizzer and Chips.

Ron Turner - who drew many serial strips for Whizzer and Chips in the 70s.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Always loved Ron Turner's work.He had a brilliant way of imagining future vehicles.

The Cap.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Captain Storm wrote:Always loved Ron Turner's work.He had a brilliant way of imagining future vehicles.
I agree, Cap. I remember a Ron Turner page that featured a spaceship, and the design of the craft was based on a toy ray-gun that I had. I presume Ron saw the gun in a shop or maybe one of his children had it and he used it as inspiration.

Some of his designs are reminiscent of the kind of craft you'd see in a Gerry Anderson TV show. Can anyone tell me if he ever illustrated any Gerry Anderson-based stories?

NP

Post by NP »

Niblet wrote:Always loved Ron Turner's work. Can anyone tell me if he ever illustrated any Gerry Anderson-based stories?
Yes, he drew a lot of the Century 21 annuals. There is a Thunderbirds story by him in one of the recent collections of TV21 material, and a Captain Scarlet one in the current one.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I'm sure it's been said before but who was the artist that drew ZERO X? in TV CENTURY 21 they're amazing.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:I'm sure it's been said before but who was the artist that drew ZERO X? in TV CENTURY 21 they're amazing.
Mike Noble - who was indeed amazing - wasn't it?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:
steelclaw wrote:I'm sure it's been said before but who was the artist that drew ZERO X? in TV CENTURY 21 they're amazing.
Cheers Raven I'm probably the only person who didn't know. :oops:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

steelclaw wrote:
Raven wrote:
Cheers Raven I'm probably the only person who didn't know. :oops:
It's fairly easy to find info on TV21 on the net these days. Google "Mike Noble" + "TV Century 21" and you'll find loads.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:
Me wrote:
steelclaw wrote:
Err probably.
They should have numbered Whizzer & Chips, it would have been about issue 18.

I have a mint copy of that issue - it's great, featuring the debut strips of Jimmy Jeckle and Master Hide, Super Dad, The Scareys of St. Marys and Monkey Nutts - but without the gift. I think I make it issue 19!

For anyone interested, I've just noticed that this Whizzer and Chips - 21st February 1970 - with the first Jimmy Jeckle, Super Dad, etc. is up on Ebay right now at 99p + £1.00 p&p.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Was this the last Adventure strip in Whizzer & Chips
Dated 28th May 1983?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Ralph Rogan had his last outing in Rogan on the Run, leading up to the 1984 Olympics, the next year if I remember correctly.

I think 1983 was the year that Brian Walker did his only work on Whizz Wheels, which not only happened to be his last outing, but was also the only outing in Chips. It was BMX-themed, from memory.

Who drew Pigwidgin and who was drawing Ralph Rogan at the time?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Just looked through my Whizzer & Chips and found 'Rogan On The Run' so that could have been the last Adventure strip.

No idea who drew Pigwidgin and Ralph Rogan.