Unpublished issues of Whoopee

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

big bad bri

Re: Unpublished issues of Whoopee

Post by big bad bri »

geoff42 wrote:I believe the only true victim of general strikes was Scream in the eighties... a shame.
I always thought Scream ended due to complaints from parents,so if that was the case imagine what the PC brigade of today would have done :lol:

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Nay, Bri, Fleetway only considered pulling a title when the House of Commons brought it up for debate; when it was slammed in the nation's best-selling newspaper; and when Menzies and W H Smiths threatened to pull the plug on all Fleetway's titles - ACTION! Scream never reached those heights of notoriety.

hankshanklin

Post by hankshanklin »

I have the issue from 17th December 1983 being the 500th issue of 567, ending on 30th March 1985. The following week, Whoopee was squeezed into Whizzer & Chips.

Of course, i may be wrong, but i'm 99% sure it's accurate.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

hankshanklin wrote:I have the issue from 17th December 1983 being the 500th issue of 567, ending on 30th March 1985
You are 100 per cent right on both numbers :)
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i had whoopee down as 573 issues in one note book and 567 in another so im gonna have to update all my note books :lol: is the official figures for roy of the rovers 851 and whizzer and chips 1087.

hankshanklin

Post by hankshanklin »

I have the same for W&C, but can't say for ROTR, as i was never interested in football or war based comics, only the humour comics.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:
hankshanklin wrote:I have the issue from 17th December 1983 being the 500th issue of 567, ending on 30th March 1985
You are 100 per cent right on both numbers :)
I'm sure i read somewhere issue 500 was numbered incorrectly and it actually wasnt the 500th but fleetway messed up and didn't take strikes etc into consideration but i may have dreamt that :lol:

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

[/quote] I'm sure i read somewhere issue 500 was numbered incorrectly and it actually wasnt the 500th but fleetway messed up and didn't take strikes etc into consideration but i may have dreamt that :lol:[/quote]

You are quite right. What they advertised as issue 500 was in fact No. 494. Issue 500 came a few weeks later and had the cover-date of Dec 17, 1983.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:
I'm sure i read somewhere issue 500 was numbered incorrectly and it actually wasnt the 500th but fleetway messed up and didn't take strikes etc into consideration but i may have dreamt that :lol:[/quote]

You are quite right. What they advertised as issue 500 was in fact No. 494. Issue 500 came a few weeks later and had the cover-date of Dec 17, 1983.[/quote]
I thought so as i remember being rather confused a few years ago when writing my list for whoopee! somebody should have being fired for that mistake :lol:

hankshanklin

Post by hankshanklin »

It's an easy mistake to make, & they probably weren't expecting anyone to be scrutinizing it 30 years later. They probably just counted 500 weeks from the first week, & either forgot about the missing weeks, or chose to ignore it.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

if i was one of the higher ups at fleetway i would have been fuming if i discovered that mistake as it is not very professional and does not look good for the company.i wonder if anyone at the time had all 494 issues up to that point and wrote in.

hankshanklin

Post by hankshanklin »

I'm sure someone would have done. OCD still existed back then, just had a different name.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:if i was one of the higher ups at fleetway i would have been fuming if i discovered that mistake as it is not very professional and does not look good for the company.i wonder if anyone at the time had all 494 issues up to that point and wrote in.
Everyone makes trivial mistakes, like you referring to IPC (as it was in 1983) as Fleetway. :lol:

I'm sure IPC's upper management at the time wouldn't have given a toss about the numbering.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

in my mind ipc/fleetway same company it was egmont that ruined comics :lol:

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Lew's right - if it increased sales that week then no one was going to be too fussed. It's nice that for an unnumbered comic someone decided to celebrate it. One of the great comics from my childhood.