A strip with a Nag

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: A strip with a Nag

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sadly, the act of humiliation to others is one that much of the human race always seems to find hilarious, and this is probably why whacking scenes abounded in comics for such a long time......

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Actually I think the idea of punishing characters in the final panel was a necessary moral formula which effectively exonerated the publisher from any suspicion of encouraging delinquent behaviour (in reality, of course, they knew and we knew that that was exactly what they were doing!). Nowadays this sort of thing seems quite absurd (if not downright perverse) but in the 1950s it was highly relevant - in the same way that it was impossible for films to feature gangsters or outlaws in any kind of starring role without ensuring that they ended up in an electric chair in the final scene.

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

^Or at least jail.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

when i bought & read a near complete run of whoopee! a few years ago from book palace i always found hee gee & his nag one of my least favourite weaker stories for some reason.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Like it was said on the BBC4 Comics UK documentary years ago, the publishers had a moral sense hence the smacking endings - a warning to any kid who copied from the comic of the consequences.

Will say that there were stronger strips in Whoopee! such as Ad Lad - but Hee Gee and his Nag has stuck in my mind a bit - perhaps as the nag reminds me both in personality and appearance of many o my unispiring teachers & mother.

And I do hate unfunny Jimmy Carr :twisted: stands for all that's bad about comeidians" today (from not paying taxes & being from a rich toffs family - could go on but won't).

moloneymagic

Post by moloneymagic »

Hello all, this is my first post in the forum. I just found the site today and it's wonderful - I have a particular interest in IPC comics but have never known anyone with whom to discuss them before so I can see there's a huge amount for me to learn even from just browsing past posts here.

This particular thread caught my eye because I've just been indexing Jackpot and Hee Gee and his Nag was an unusual story that jumped out at me. As no one had mentioned that it made a few brief appearances in Jackpot I thought I'd do so here. I hadn't known that it was also in Whoopee!, but the Jackpot appearances did look a bit old for their time so I had wondered whether they were reprints, just filling in when they had half a page to fill. Does anyone know if this is correct? For the record, they appeared in issues 88, 104, 138 and 139 :)

I also felt the humour was a bit off, even for back in the day. It lacked the bounciness of other stories in the comic and came across as rather bitter, as if the creator himself was letting off steam about a nagging presence in his life.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Towards the end of Jackpot's run there were quite a few reprints maloneymagic, as well as Hee Gee, including Fiends and Nieghbours, The Invisible Monster. Looking at the artwork Big Bear and Shrimp looked like reprints too.

It was good to see so many comic strips run in Buster for years after their merger – I think the Winners were particulary long-lived.

moloneymagic

Post by moloneymagic »

Ah that's great - just the sort of thing I'd been wondering about with all those strips you mention, and I may never have found out without this forum so thank you Muffy :-)

There were a few other strips about which I wondered whether or not they were original to Jackpot, either because they looked a bit dated for that time, the reproduction quality wasn't so great, or just because their appearances were occasional/inconsistent: Nobby and his Hobbies, Riddle-me Ray, Who Robbed Scrooge?, Sherlock Jnr, Mum's the Word, Sample Simon, Cheeky Monkey, plus a few of the adventure serials - The Perils of Pauline, The Trail to Grogan's Gold, Island of Suspicion, Count Mysto's Maze.

Do you know whether any of these appeared previously elsewhere?

One other strip that I thought was quite a strange inclusion was one from the earlier issues in the run, Little Adam and Eva. Reminded me a bit of the old 'Love Is...' cartoons, in a biblical style!

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Lew Stringer wrote: It was quite a forgettable strip I think. (I'd forgotten about it anyway.) I don't think it lasted long. Canings were going out of favour by the early 1970s when that strip appeared so it seemed outdated even then. long.
I missed the thread when it first started but I thought I might point out that Whacky did last for quite a while - it ran in COR!! for more than three years (issues 1 to 173). At first it occupied 2/3 of a page but was soon promoted to a full page. I blogged about it a while ago when I did the complete series about strips which appeared in COR!! Here is the link for those of you who care: http://kazoop.blogspot.com/search/label/Whacky
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

klakadak-ploobadoof

moloneymagic wrote: There were a few other strips about which I wondered whether or not they were original to Jackpot, either because they looked a bit dated for that time, the reproduction quality wasn't so great, or just because their appearances were occasional/inconsistent: Nobby and his Hobbies, Riddle-me Ray, Who Robbed Scrooge?, Sherlock Jnr, Mum's the Word, Sample Simon, Cheeky Monkey, plus a few of the adventure serials - The Perils of Pauline, The Trail to Grogan's Gold, Island of Suspicion, Count Mysto's Maze.

One other strip that I thought was quite a strange inclusion was one from the earlier issues in the run, Little Adam and Eva. Reminded me a bit of the old 'Love Is...' cartoons, in a biblical style!
Nobby and His Hobbies was a short-lived strip by Frank McDiarmid which appeared in COR!! issues 23 - 59 in 1970 and 1971.
Riddle Me Ray started in Shiver and Shake No. 57 and lasted until the last issue No. 79.
Sample Simon is also from Shiver and Shale (issues 1 - 21).
I blogged about them on Kazoop!! some time ago. You can consult my blog for details about every strip which appeared in COR!!, SHIVER & SHAKE and MONSTER FUN COMIC :)

Mum's the Word is from Whoopee!, issues 15 - 101.
Hee Gee and His Nag appeared in Whoopee! issues No. 1 - 31. The illustrator was Alf Saporito.
Cheeky Monkey and Little Adam and Eva are from Knockout, I think.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote: It was quite a forgettable strip I think. (I'd forgotten about it anyway.) I don't think it lasted long. Canings were going out of favour by the early 1970s when that strip appeared so it seemed outdated even then. long.
I missed the thread when it first started but I thought I might point out that Whacky did last for quite a while - it ran in COR!! for more than three years (issues 1 to 173). At first it occupied 2/3 of a page but was soon promoted to a full page. I blogged about it a while ago when I did the complete series about strips which appeared in COR!! Here is the link for those of you who care: http://kazoop.blogspot.com/search/label/Whacky
I stand corrected (a bit like Whacky). :D I had every issue of Cor!! when they were published but I barely remember that strip. I must have skipped that page most weeks. Anything by Mike Lacey was always well drawn but the character wasn't one of IPC's finest in my opinion.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

klakadak-ploobadoof

moloneymagic wrote:...Sherlock Jnr...
This one is originally from BUSTER where it ran for almost a year in 1970 and 1971.

moloneymagic

Post by moloneymagic »

Thank you! :-)

Raven

Post by Raven »

moloneymagic wrote: There were a few other strips about which I wondered whether or not they were original to Jackpot, either because they looked a bit dated for that time, the reproduction quality wasn't so great, or just because their appearances were occasional/inconsistent: Nobby and his Hobbies, Riddle-me Ray, Who Robbed Scrooge?, Sherlock Jnr, Mum's the Word, Sample Simon, Cheeky Monkey, plus a few of the adventure serials - The Perils of Pauline, The Trail to Grogan's Gold, Island of Suspicion, Count Mysto's Maze.

A late reply, but Island of Suspicion is from Whoopee!, 1975.