Action 40 years today

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Action 40 years today

Post by philcom55 »

It's an interesting moral question. Faced with the same circumstances how many of us would press the nuclear button?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It's not easy to answer: I'd like to say 'no!!' but human nature and History teaches us all differently...... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's the basis of our own nuclear deterrent. The trick is leaving any would-be aggressors uncertain about what our own political leader would do in such circumstances - thereby forcing them to ask themselves if they 'feel lucky'! It's also the reason why Jeremy Corbyn's uncompromising position is seen to be problematic by so many people.

I've always thought that some of those Dredd stories could be used in schools as a springboard for some fascinating moral debates.

starscape

Post by starscape »

philcom55 wrote:It's an interesting moral question. Faced with the same circumstances how many of us would press the nuclear button?
I definitely would. Even more so if it was necessary :wink:
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The problem about nuclear 'detterents' and the idea that 'nobody would be mad enough to launch these missiles in the first place ' is:

---what happens if someone with real power behind them starts a real War, ends up on the brink of defeat [like the end of WW2] and adopts a 'scorched Earth Policy', with the attitude of:

'If I can't win, then NOBODY gets to win...let the planet BE a burnt-out shell! Now--let me at that launch-button'!!!!..... Let the Armageddon COMMENCE!!'

This approach is most Dredd-like in it's outlook.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Harking back to text in comic papers, I thought that Dave Simms did a beautiful job in Cerebus as regards "Jaka's Story". This was actually the first series that I first came across in the long running, independent Canadian comic. At first, when I came across these full pages of text, I thought: hmm, do I skip these and pursue the picture panels? Thankfully, I didn't. They were wonderful and fully complemented the story and, to this day, still feature largely in my memories of the whole series. Off topic I know, considering Cerebus isn't British. But it did feature a very funny caricature of Margaret Thatcher.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Somebody is advertising on eBay a full run of ACTION plus the Summer Specials, the Annuals, the Free Gifts etcetera, although I have no idea what 'etcetera' refers to in this instance, for £2500. Two questions. First, how realistic is that figure, and secondly, what kind of figure could my collection possibly fetch if I were minded to sell it, given that I have every issue of the comic up to and including the penultimate one (16th October 1976)?

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

It’s not realistic. It’s missing some specials, not all free gifts are present.

It’d be worth it if it included the pulped issue - which it doesn’t.

I picked up a full set last year (just the comics) for £100.

Action comics aren’t rare, they are actually very common, if you have the patience you can put together a full set quite easily for around what I paid. Add on maybe another £100-150 for all the specials and annuals. The gifts are more difficult but again they all turn up regularly. The hardest is the hookjaw transfer from #2, easiest is the red arrow from #1 (it’s also the free gift to Speed #1).

All that said, if they sell them, good luck to them!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:I picked up a full set last year (just the comics) for £100.
Thank you very much for your reply, koollectablz. As there is clearly no point in selling my run for peanuts, I'll hang on to it for reference purposes.