How many issues of Charley's War are there?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: How many issues of Charley's War are there?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Richard S. wrote:if you can get hold of a copy of 'The Fleetway companion' by Steve Holland you'll find it' ace at answering this sort of question Adam
Cheers Richard, I hadn't thought of that and I'm pretty sure I have a copy!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Richard S. wrote:if you can get hold of a copy of 'The Fleetway companion' by Steve Holland you'll find it' ace at answering this sort of question Adam
Cheers Richard, I hadn't thought of that and I'm pretty sure I have a copy!
The Fleetway Companion says this about 'Charley's War'
Battle
1) WWI 6/1/79-26/1/85
2) WWII 2/2/85-4/10/86
3) reprint 11/10/86-23/1/88
Eagle & Battle
1) 30/1/88-21/4/90
2) 23/2/91- still appearing at the time of the Fleetway Companion going to press.

Battle is also only listed as having missed 1 issue in the FC (30/12/78).

Whether this helps to pinpoint the number of episodes in total I really don't know from what's been said in this thread already. BTW presumably Charley's War appeared in the Battle annuals and specials too. Are these not treated as part of the canon when it comes to publishing the collections?

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Just realised that I'd make a calculation error and in fact Titan reprinted 292 episodes of CW; so that's even fewer weeks missed that I thought.

For anyone interested the CW reprints that appeared in the Judge Dredd magazine cover the material in Titan Books volumes 1-4
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

colcool007 wrote:
CharleyBourne wrote:I think there is some legal reason why the WWII story has not been re-printed but i could be wrong. I think the story starts pretty soon after the WWI sorry ended in battle. I only have a few issues with it in. It didn't last to long and we then went back to re-prints of the WWI story right up till when the Eagle went to its glossy format in the mid 90's. Both the re-prints of Johnny Red and Charley's War in the Eagle where cut short so it not a complete re-print of the whole story.
Hi Charley, there wasn't any legal reason. It was just that they got panned so badly by the readers at the time and few except us old timers are interested in those episodes so it does not make any economic sense to reprint them.
Hi Colcool I thought it was quite good at the time and would have loved it to carry on but I think at the time Joe's health was not the best and seem to remember the another artist did The last couple of episodes. I would love to get my hands on a full run of the WWII story.

I started out reading both Johnny Red and Charley's War When Eagle took over the Battle comic. Have since gone back and forth with Battle and the Later issues of Eagle when it went monthly and have managed to scrape a large part of both stories together. I have also managed to get a full set of the 10 titan books which collects the full Charley's War story together up to the end of the Russian Civil part. Would love to get these issues and would be made up if Titan published them in a couple of collected books.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

CharleyBourne wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
CharleyBourne wrote:I think there is some legal reason why the WWII story has not been re-printed but i could be wrong. I think the story starts pretty soon after the WWI sorry ended in battle. I only have a few issues with it in. It didn't last to long and we then went back to re-prints of the WWI story right up till when the Eagle went to its glossy format in the mid 90's. Both the re-prints of Johnny Red and Charley's War in the Eagle where cut short so it not a complete re-print of the whole story.
Hi Charley, there wasn't any legal reason. It was just that they got panned so badly by the readers at the time and few except us old timers are interested in those episodes so it does not make any economic sense to reprint them.
Hi Colcool I thought it was quite good at the time and would have loved it to carry on but I think at the time Joe's health was not the best and seem to remember the another artist did The last couple of episodes. I would love to get my hands on a full run of the WWII story.

I started out reading both Johnny Red and Charley's War When Eagle took over the Battle comic. Have since gone back and forth with Battle and the Later issues of Eagle when it went monthly and have managed to scrape a large part of both stories together. I have also managed to get a full set of the 10 titan books which collects the full Charley's War story together up to the end of the Russian Civil part. Would love to get these issues and would be made up if Titan published them in a couple of collected books.
Charley, I have not read the WWII episodes which is why I haven't given a personal opinion.

On the subject of the Titan books, a close friend left me the first seven so it seemed churlish of me to not take advantage of the recent Forbidden Planet sale and get the other three at the knockdown price of £5 each and they were delivered yesterday.

I must admit if they did reprint the WWII issues, I would not be adverse to picking them up myself.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!