Monster Fun: the real deal?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

babington

Monster Fun: the real deal?

Post by babington »

I just bought a copy of Monster Fun no. 3 with the free gift a Super Shaking Skeleton. It doesn't seem very shaky though, and I'm wondering if it's the original gift.It came with a copy of the comic. The trouble is there are few pictures to compare it to, so I wondered if anyone on the forum has one they can vouch for and could describe it in detail. Mine is about 5 inches high and had green eyes (until I washed it and they washed away - argh). It feels like a hard plastic, not soft or supple. The pictures I have of other examples look like it's made of a soft rubbery material. Maybe it's gone hard over time though? It doesn't have the thread to hold it by, but it does have the hole on top where the thread would go. Can anyone help? And, if it doesn't come from Monster Fun, was it a gift in a different comic? Thanks!
JPEG image copy.jpeg
JPEG image 2.jpeg

babington

Re: Monster Fun: the real deal?

Post by babington »

I've just seen another one of these on eBay, and the seller posted a picture of the back of the skeleton. They said it was a soft plastic but it does look pretty identical to mine, so maybe mine is the right one after all!

Still, I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks it's from a different comic...

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Here's the Monster Fun skeleton from my own collection that I purchased as a child when it came out back in 1975.

The feel of the skeleton is soft and rubbery, it has the green eyes and the thread that you mentioned. It is very flexible, as I try to demonstrate in the last of my pictures here.

Your skeleton ticks all the boxes except for the material one. Your one being made from a hard plastic instead of a soft-rubbery material would be my only concern but, as you say, it may have hardened over time. My skeleton had been placed in an open shoe box for 30+ years until I recently placed it in an air-tight container, and it's still very flexible.

Off of the top of my head, I don't know of another comic that had the skeleton as a free-gift, but that's not to say there wasn't.

MonsterFunSkeleton(4).jpg
MonsterFunSkeleton(2).jpg
MonsterFunSkeleton(3).jpg
Al

babington

Post by babington »

Thanks for this. They are very close, but the material looks like it's different (semi-hard plastic resin versus flexible rubber) and also, the way "Hong Kong" is written on the back is different. The moulding of mine looks to be less sharp than the others I'm seeing. How to explain it? A fake? No, because then it would have Hong Kong written horizontally. The same skeleton, but from a different source? Possibly - but hard to say!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Without checking, didn’t Vulcan have a skeleton free gift? I seem to picture that it was the Scottish version as I have the UK set and gifts. If it’s from that comic, it would be worth considerably more than being from Monster Fun!

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

The Vulcan skeleton was very different. You can see it near the bottom of this post http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2014/06 ... -1975.html