Asterix Latest Book

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

r3tr0_gam3r

Asterix Latest Book

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

Hi, just today I was reminded of the Asterix series of books, which I haven't read in a while, when for the first time in ages, someone posted on a Facebook group I am part of. I am considering buying the latest book, which came out last year 'Asterix and The Picts' and thought I would ask first, is anyone else here a fan of the series, and if so, have you read the book? Is it any good? I remember people were getting a bit funny about the fact that now, neither Goscinny or Uderzo are involved in the comics. Still, I don't suppose this will bother me, but can understand as there have been complaints before that the writing wasn't as good after Goscinny's death and I'm sure other comics must have had comments in the past when an artist has left or changed their style for a strip.
So, was there anything you noticed? Thanks :D

booksandcomics

Re: Asterix Latest Book

Post by booksandcomics »

Not got that far in the series yet, however, I love the Asterix books! I think the latest one I read was something about Asterix and seeing a ball of light from the sky, turned out to be aliens landing in the village which I really disliked, it just doesn't fit in as far as I am concerned with the whole genre and world of Asterix.

I pick up the hard copies as and when I find them second hand and managed to get hold of a few first editions just not the really valuable ones! I think Waterstones did a box set at one point of all the issues?

From what I have heard, this one with the Picts has much more in commin and indeed looks like the original ones compared to some of the other more recent issues.

Have you come across any of the other Goscinny and Uderzo books? "Iznogood" has similar humour and style, set in an alladdin esque type middle east, i.e. town centre filled with elephants jams, flying carpets all over the place etc.

I've yet to get Asterix and the Picts myself as waiting to get throught the rest of the series first. Have you ever read Lucky Luke?

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

I started reading the Asterix books when I was quite young and so collected a fair amount then and picked up more once I started comic collecting again as an adult. At some point or another, I have read every one except the latest one and own most of the series.
I haven't actually read any of the other Goscinny/Uderzo books, as I only found out about them a short while ago and have not got around to buying any yet.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

There was an Iznogoud cartoon in the 90's (though it may have been repeats, and actually made earlier). I think I remember him saying "I want to be king" instead of "I want to be caliph", though.
In France, some journalist invented an "Iznogoud Award", for somebody who tries to make a power grab and fails miserably. Once, he stood for election himself and got a pitifully low amount of votes, so gave himself the award!

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

There were 3 issues of an Iznogoud comic (all reprint) - I've got the first 2 issues and would love a copy of issue 3!
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

felneymike wrote:There was an Iznogoud cartoon in the 90's (though it may have been repeats, and actually made earlier). I think I remember him saying "I want to be king" instead of "I want to be caliph", though.
In France, some journalist invented an "Iznogoud Award", for somebody who tries to make a power grab and fails miserably. Once, he stood for election himself and got a pitifully low amount of votes, so gave himself the award!
I remember that show. It was made in 1995, but I think it aired here a couple of years later.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I grew up reading the Asterix books in the 70s and probably haven't seen one since! I'd never heard of Iznogoud but after seeing the books on this link, I think I may be having a look around for both now!

http://www.eurocomics.info/iznogoud.html

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I bought Asterix and the Picts a couple of years ago out of interest.

To be fair it was a good 1st book by the new creative team, not as good as the Goscinny/Uderzo books but definitely well worth a try.

According to Amazon their next new book Asterix and the Missing Scroll is out later this year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asterix-Missing ... ds=Asterix

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

from the few pictures on amazon of Asterix and the Picts it looks good and the humour does too..

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »