Action Comics - issue 1

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Action Comics - issue 1

Post by Phoenix »

It was reported in yesterday's issue of The Guardian that the first issue of Action Comics sold in Seattle for $3.2m (£1.9m). It was in near mint condition as its original owner had kept it in a cedar chest at high altitude in the mountains of West Virginia after purchasing it from a newsstand in 1938. I might just have to consider moving to Snowdonia or some other mountain fastness to protect my collection, especially as said collection does include a copy of Action Comics 1, albeit a reprint. Mind you, I can't imagine there will be too many postmen willing to scale such heights to deliver my eBay winnings!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Action Comics - issue 1

Post by colcool007 »

I watched this on Ebay. This is the best condition issue of Action Comic No 1 ever sold and it is unlikely that another in this condition will ever be found.

However, it has been "slabbed" (sealed in a vacuum pack by CGC) and it is unlikely that it will be handled by a person ever again.

I think that the only way a better (or another in the same) condition will appear is if one is found in a safety deposit box.

Either way, it's an insane price for a comic.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:It was reported in yesterday's issue of The Guardian that the first issue of Action Comics sold in Seattle for $3.2m (£1.9m). It was in near mint condition as its original owner had kept it in a cedar chest at high altitude in the mountains of West Virginia after purchasing it from a newsstand in 1938. I might just have to consider moving to Snowdonia or some other mountain fastness to protect my collection, especially as said collection does include a copy of Action Comics 1, albeit a reprint. Mind you, I can't imagine there will be too many postmen willing to scale such heights to deliver my eBay winnings!
Erm, wouldn't your winnings be more likely to be transferred straight into your PayPal account?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:Erm, wouldn't your winnings be more likely to be transferred straight into your PayPal account?
Well no. Money would actually be leaving my PayPal account to pay for my eBay winnings. Perhaps I should have said successes rather than winnings. Apologies for the confusion, Tony. :oops:

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

So the owner of this comic will never get to read it after paying £1.9 million quid for it plus there are more of these in very good condition DC comics have a few of these in 'as new condition' and if my memory serves me correct Marvel comics impresario Stan Lee also owns one in near mint condition

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

a good reason to build a working time machine.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

He doesn't have to read that actual issue as facsimile editions are available complete with original ads - I came across my own facsimile recently. I must admit it never occurred to me before that, having purchased a valuable comic, I should straight away scale the nearest mountain in order to preserve its quality. I'll shall look at footage of Edmund Hilary to see if there is a tell-tale sign of Eagle number one tucked into his waistband.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the value of this comic makes for a good story, but is another symptom of a world gone mad.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:the value of this comic makes for a good story, but is another symptom of a world gone mad.
Yes, it's all relative, isn't it? According to Yahoo Finance today Jennifer Lawrence earned $34 million last year but financier and philanthropist Warren Buffett earned $12.7 billion in the same period.

P.S. Thank you Al for sorting out the timing-out issue. It seems to be back to normal today.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Once an object reaches a certain value it's only good for bragging rights. And to be considered a financial asset, which is kind of the same thing. It's like works of art or jewellery that are consigned to impenetrable vaults until it's time to sell them again, while the owner displays copies that few could tell apart anyway.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.