Rare broons 1949 dummy annual

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

Re: Rare broons 1949 dummy annual

Post by dandy mad »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:A Bootleg edition? what do you mean. Is it an unauthorised photocopy and is there any story behind it that you know of?
It's deffinately not off the presses at DCT so it's not a legit reprint as for when it was printed its anyone's guess.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There was a bloke in Glasgow producing these annuals and the books turned up at marts, cons and on ebay. Rumour has it that he was "instructed" to desist but the examples previously sold are still out there. I'll have a look around at the next Glasgow Mart, which is next Saturday at the Panopticon on Argyle St.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I've done a bit of digging around and the unofficial reprints seem to be The Broons book 1942 Oor Wullie book 1943 (the one ive got via eBay) and The Broons book 1949 I've contacted the seller on eBay to see if he had any idea on print runs how many have been copied etc but no reply thus far and the seller is from Glasgow as it could be the same bloke that had the cease and desist letter?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

From memory, the paper these were printed on was thinner than the "real" annuals and the covers were less than perfect. But then, I haven't seen an example for a while.