Sunday Post Fun Section from 1978

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Sunday Post Fun Section from 1978

Post by stevezodiac »

I had the charity shop take away some of my stored furniture on Saturday. They wouldn't take the bed because "It didn't have a fire label on it" what exactly is a fire label? Does it say "In the event you are awoken from your slumbers to find the bed has become a blazing inferno please remove yourself from said area of repose - modesty permitting." To my knowledge I have never had a bed go up in flames on me.

Anyway now that some furniture has been removed (but not the bed) i can move around in there and pull out some of my collection whiach has been stored away for twelve years. Didn't spend much time on Saturday as I wanted to get home and follow Millwall's progress on Sky Sports News. But i did dig out two years worth of Fun Sections fro 1978-79. The thing is as I was looking through the last night I found a storyline revolving around Maggie's (sigh) impending nuptials to a bloke called Dave. As far as i know Maggie is still single so what happened to that storyline? Also i have never seen anyone scan a four page Fun Section here and some of you may not have ever seen one so here it is - four pages so have to post it on two different pages.

stevezodiac

Re: Sunday Post Fun Section from 1978

Post by stevezodiac »

here are pages three and four. I also dug out the first five issues of Battle. Two copies of the first issue complete with free gift and in almost new condition. Watch out for them on ebay soon.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks for that..
so no Alan.Morley or any other comic pages in 1978's Sunday post other than The Broons and Oor Wullie and a comic strip with puzzles and jokes...

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

No Peter, the Allan Morley stuff i.e. reprints of Nero and Zero and Nosey Parker had been removed in 1976. As to Maggie's boyfriend I'll get back to you on that Steve. He was the first significant new character in the Broons strip since the arrival of Granpaw and they got all the way to planning the wedding before the plug was pulled on the whole storyline without even an explanation of where he'd gone. Details to follow.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Dave's surname escapes me, but he appeared for a long stretch through Tom Lavery's time on the strip. His disappearance may possibly have coincided with the handover to Peter Davidson.

The four-page Fun Section lived on into the late 80s or early 90s, with Merry Mac and The Wee Comics (possibly also Dear Wullie) running to the end. A couple of short strips like Millie did appear.

After that it was reduced to the two main strips.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It was Dave Mackay as per wikipedia. The problem with wikipedia is I think I wrote the relevant sentence, and the reference to thatsbraw is no longer relevant... I need to look up my old Broons books.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

OMFG!! I remember reading that! And thinking that a swivel chair was rather swish at the time (not to mention a bit posh!) And it was the first time that I can ever remember someone even referring to a kilt as a thing that lassies wore!

Excuse me while I go and enjoy the time machine effect! I've got twa bob frae Mum and I'm awa tae the Blue Shoppie tae see whit comics are fur sale! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Below is a potted history of Maggie's boyfriend Dave McKay (you were right Andy).

Dave first appeared in the Broons strip dated 23rd Oct 1977.
He and Maggie got engaged after quite a whirlwind romance on 4th Dec 1977 with Maggie showing off her engagement ring the following week.
Dave then continued to appear as Maggie's fiance for most of the next year until, in the strip dated 5th Nov 1978, Paw and Maggie are practicing walking down the aisle.
Then on 26th Nov Maggie remarks, on seeing someone elses wedding, that it'll not be long till her big day.
Dave then first foots the Broons in 1978's Hogmanay strip (31st Dec) and Maw is heard to remark that 'We're not losing a daughter, we're gaining a son'.
On into 1979 and in the strip dated 25th Feb Paw and Maw are working on the guest list for the wedding.
At this point it seems that Fun Section editor, Roy Paterson, got cold feet as the wedding isn't mentioned again even though Dave continues to appear as Maggie's fiance until his final appearance in the Hogmanay strip for 1979 (30th Dec).
Tom Lavery is the artist throughout the Dave McKay saga and continued to be the artist on the Broons' strip for several more years.
( All the above details are culled from my own, as yet, unpublished labour of love 'Jings, Crivvens and Help Ma Boab! - The Broons and Oor Wullie Index).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Funnily enough when I e-mailed my mate, Steve, about the Maggie wedding question he replied to say he was in the middle of indexing his Broons/Oor Wullie strips to see which were missing. I suppose he is going by the dates published in the annual specials. I'll tell him help is at hand. He doesn't have a pc otherwise he be a contributer to this forum. He is very knowledgable on UK comics.