Newspaper comic strips

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Newspaper comic strips

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I can't find examples of bear anywhere on the web: a shame, as I remember it well
It's got to be somewhere. Get Digi on the job, he'll have a website address for you in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.lambiek.net/artists/s/simmonds_posy.htm - Lambiek confirms that Bear started in 1969, and presumably finished in 1972 as that's when Posy left The Sun for The Guardian.

Found an article about Posy. http://www.contemporarywriters.com/auth ... YnR287F405

Sorry, no-one seems to have uploaded any artwork examples.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Sorry, no-one seems to have uploaded any artwork examples.
Come on, Digi, you're giving up too easily. Are there no compilation volumes anywhere, no other sites? These are apparently raunchy strips, we're all on the edge of our seats waiting to enjoy them. :D

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

well, they were raunchy to my ten-year old self, Phoenix! They may seem a bit different to me today........correction, bear was actually a single-page panel, not a strip; I apologize!

Many thanks though Digi, for trying to locate this long-lost [it seems] item.....

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

If Digi's investigations don't turn up an example of bear, ISPY, we must rely on other Forum members to help out. The smart money would be on Steve Zodiac's storage facility but, as we need a more organized source, my money would be on Tony Ingram and his colleagues. They might just know the whereabouts of the odd one or two. After all, recent issues of their magazine have featured quite a lot of examples of scantily-clad girls in seemingly-raunchy strips. Not bear exactly, but nearly bare. If all such endeavours fail we could always resort to plan B - have a caption competition for the one Posy Simmonds cartoon uploaded so far on this thread. My suggested focus would be on what the little girl is saying to the red-faced toff, that has so horrified his female companions, and that has even startled the dog. There are some mind-boggling possibilities.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I did check Google Images search, but it only turned up photos of Posy, later artwork of her other strips, and irrelevant stuff. :(

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

caption competition:

-----as instigated by the illustrious Pheonixforever.

here's the POSY SIMMONDS cartoon, re-run again:

girl: 'in the future, they will regularly say words like '**%$!!?&$!' on a magic lantern called 'television'.

--------what is the little girl saying, that is so shocking?
my example above

here's the innocent-looking POSY, who is responsible for all this controversy:

If Steve ZODIAC, Tony INGRAM------or any other legendary site archivist reading this has SUN newspaper files circ@ 1969-1972, can they please add some scans of bear panel strip by POSY that ran in the paper between these years, please?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

caption competition:

When you gonna keep yer promise an' come 'n live in Limehouse wi me an' ar baby?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

nice one, Phoenix: keep 'em coming, folks!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

caption competition:

It weren't my fault, Missus. When he said, Just hold this dear, I thought it were a rabbit he were tekkin' art of 'is 'at.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

caption competition:

Come on, Dad, hurry up! Your suit's due back at Moss Bros. in half an hour.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

caption competition:

Just look at what you've made the bitch do now!! It's pis*ed all over the carpet.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

caption competition:

Why are your eyes going into the top of your head? Not looking for your brain I hope, because I can assure these ladies that that is definitely not where you keep it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

caption competition:

Don't listen to his lies, ladies. I did and look how he's ground me down.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

caption competition:

What you doing eating cake, Da'? Why haven't you come back wi' that bit o' mutton you said you were goin' art for? You gonna starve us to death?

And now, as Eddie Cochran once said, C'mon everybody.