Ace O'Hara

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

old paw broon

Ace O'Hara

Post by old paw broon »

This strip, a sort of poor man's Jeff Hawke, was in the Daily Dispatch starting in 1954, by Conrad Frost and Basil Blackaller. The Daily Dispatch folded in 1955 but the strip was in an Australian paper, The Age, well after that. Anyone know if it appeared anywhere else? I've checked the info on Bear alley, and John Adcock's blog. It was distributed by Mercury Features.
It's quite a good read.

Adam Eterno

Re: Ace O'Hara

Post by Adam Eterno »

I'd never heard of Ace O'Hara before your post! I'm intrigued to read it now. I noticed that you loaded 95 pages on CB Plus so I've read the first 30 so far. Very Dan Dare ish!

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Thanks. I just wondered. As it was distributed/handled by Mercury Features it might well have appeared in other papers and countries.
The strip comps were on Boutje's site and as we cooperate, I took them for CB+. There are more comps. waiting. I just need to tweak them to our requirements.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I’ve seen the other stories now and am already on 1 1/2 stories read. I’ll be keeping an eye out for Ace in old comics from now on although I have to profess a crush on Belle!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Paw, I found this info while I was looking around for info on Ace: https://www.forumpimpf.net/wikipimpf/in ... e_O%27Hara

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Oh, that's great Adam. Thank you. Of the 5 stories I uploaded today, 2 of them have the odd tier in Portuguese and the Pimpf wiki certainly confirms the strip appeared in Portugal but as # 13 and 15 have the Portuguese tiers, then there must have been other strips reprinted there. Or, they were reprinted in Brazil. There are a couple of excellent French sites with lots of info., so I need to have a dig around in their digital depths. Shovel at the ready. :lol:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Paw, I’m loving the stories. I’m half way through #7 already! I’ve sent links to some other guys who I think would like them.