My first comic employer

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

kevf

My first comic employer

Post by kevf »

The first comic to give me work. All hail Uncle Pigg (the much missed Mark Rodgers who died only a few years after the comic).

Other creators who got their break or did their best work in Oink were Simon Thorp and Davy Jones (Oink), Lew Stringer, Frank Sidebottom, Mark (Lard) Riley, Banx, Tony Husband, David Haldane, David Leach, Charlie (Zeppotron) Brooker and many more.
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

Lew Stringer

Re: My first comic employer

Post by Lew Stringer »

kevf wrote: Other creators who got their break or did their best work in Oink were Simon Thorp and Davy Jones (Oink), Lew Stringer,
Actually it was Marvel UK three years earlier who gave me my break in comics (cartoons in The Daredevils then my Robo-Capers strip in Transformers and Captain Wally and Snailman strips in Spider-Man). Oh, you mean I did my best work for Oink? Blimey. So the last 20 years have been all downhill from there. ;-)

Joking aside, Oink was a great comic and sorely missed. For the 20th anniversary of its launch, this May, I'm intending to add a page to my website detailing some of the little known background to the comic.

Lew
http://lewcomix.tripod.com

Conor B

My first comic employer

Post by Conor B »

I read somewhere that you artists who worked on Oink! did your artwork for the preview issue in 1984. Is that correct?
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Lew Stringer

Re: My first comic employer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Conor B wrote:I read somewhere that you artists who worked on Oink! did your artwork for the preview issue in 1984. Is that correct?
The preview issue of Oink! that was given as a free gift with Buster, Whizzer & Chips and Eagle was shot from the dummy issue, drawn in 1984. It took two years for Oink to get the go ahead. Then the first issue of Oink proper came out a week after the free preview, in May 1986.

Lew

Magnet

My first comic employer

Post by Magnet »

I love Oink! :mrgreen:

Stingray

My first comic employer

Post by Stingray »

Ah, Jeremy Banx is a really nice guy as well....... His later work on The Many Deaths of Norman Spittal was great stuff.
Just dug out my Oink comics, and the promo given away with Eagle comic which I amazingly still own. Ahhh, the memories.

Little Squelchy Thing

My first comic employer

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

I used to really love Oink!. It remains one of my all-time favourites.

I still haven't forgiven my mum for chucking out a load of them when I was a kid.

CURSE YOU MOTHER!

She...she isn't here, is she?

Whew!

Bunky

My first comic employer

Post by Bunky »

I remember a photo-strip in Oink called something like Guzzler Gertie about a permanently hungry schoolgirl. I really fancied the girl who played Gert - she was dead cute and looked like one of girl group Fuzzbox. Anyone know who she was?