My Top 10 Worst excuses for a reprint - Beano vs. Dandy

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Conor B

My Top 10 Worst excuses for a reprint - Beano vs. Dandy

Post by Conor B »

10. DANDY
Free "LUCKY" 1966 World Cup Mini Comic.
Without the World Cup, or the luck. The date is from when England won the world cup, in July, but given away in an April comic. This is also the comic which holds the record for most reprints in the Dandy - 9 - tied with "Bananaman Returns" and "Dandy Xtreme Mega Comix Special".
Also reprints: Cuddles and Dimples, Tootuff (Titeuf), Owen Goal.

9. DANDY
Owen Goal: Replay
Just because it's a football comic strip, doesn't mean that saying "replay" on a reprint will make readers think it's better!!

8. BEANO
Riot Squad
Following it's "slight relaunch" in April 2007, the Beano produced a "NEW" comic strip - The Riot Squad, formerly known as the "Hoot Squad" (Hoot! Comic 1985-6). Sometimes Hoot! characters still appear (e.g. Spotted Dick and Matron)

7. DANDY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
Entire comic.
"The best of the Dandy's Christmas Past and Present", said the Summer Special's back cover advert. More like the best (except Jak) of the Dandy's past, with a free present. EVEN WORSE...in the Bananaman reprint, one line, when Eric is watching TV and it's been interrupted, had been changed to "Aaw! I love REPEATS."

6. DANDY XTREME - Comix No. 1
Jamie presents - Classic Desperate Dan
"It's good to see Desperate Dan was just as funny in the good old days."

5. DANDY
Titeuf
"Next week - he's [TOOTUFF] back, by popular demand"
Only stuck around for 3 or 4 months.

4. DANDY
Cuddles and Dimples - Reloaded
Don't you think that says it all?

3. DANDY
Pick of the Dandy
44 page comic with an 80 page A5 pullout featuring 2 reprinted stories for each of the 16 characters. Readers voted through mail or online.

2. BEANO
Best of 2005
Dick and Dom choose their fave Beano strips for each character in 2005.

1. DANDY
Jak's not-so-pick-of-the-best
(Week after "Pick of the Dandy")
"I wanted this one in last week's Pick of the Dandy, but they wouldn't let me. So I've put in in now while no-one's watching! - Dermot."

Anyone else got a list of their own?
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006