SUPER NATURALS PREVIEW COMIC

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

SUPER NATURALS PREVIEW COMIC

Post by stevezodiac »

I found a copy of Battle dated 24 October 1987 in my storage unit that came with a free 16 page preview copy of Super Naturals and a card fact file. (The first scan is of the polythene bag they came in). Here they are:

dandy mad

Re: SUPER NATURALS PREVIEW COMIC

Post by dandy mad »

I remember the super naturals toys but I didn't know that they had a comic albeit a freebie I dont know if they had a cartoon tie in like the visionaries did.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I still have that preview comic. Not sure I ever saw any other actual issues, though.

Raven

Post by Raven »

tony ingram wrote:I still have that preview comic. Not sure I ever saw any other actual issues, though.
There were some but it didn't last long.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Not surprising. Did any newly launched comics last long in the 80s? The majority just bombed and quickly folded didn't they? Hoot springs to mind, barely managed a year.

Carnivac

Post by Carnivac »

I think had all of the issues but I can't remember how many there were. They disappeared when my family moved home back in 1988. I had the Lionheart and Snakebite figures til I was about 20 though. All I remember about the comic was one of the other stories in it (I recall it not just being about the Supernaturals characters but having various other strips) was about an evil ventriloquist doll and for some reason the thing actually did used to creep me out as a kid. I wish I still had them even just to scan into the computer for completions sake. I'd like to re-read them again.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Maybe they're on ebay? Go have a look.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Here's a Super Naturals flyer from Whizzer and Chips, 07 November 1987...

Apparently the Super Naturals were a range of toys, although surprisingly there was no associated animated cartoon series. The toys seem distinctly underwhelming - I imagine the hologram gimmick would pall very quickly.

The comic was a bit pricey at 40p for 32 pages when Battle of the time (which I'm guessing was the same size) cost just 28p. Also fortnightly comics were a bad idea - you were never sure whether you bought one last week so there was a strong possibility of missing an issue (unless you placed a regular order of course). Presumably these factors contributed to the short run (preview + 9 issues and 2 specials) and almost-forgotten status of this title.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Nothing much to add except...looks pretty good! I'd have been too old for it then but can imagine my 10 year old self loving it.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Niblet wrote:.

The comic was a bit pricey at 40p for 32 pages when Battle of the time (which I'm guessing was the same size) cost just 28p.

Battle was on newsprint and mostly black and white. Supernaturals was on glossy paper with lots of full colour, which increased the production costs.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Was there any Jim Watson art in that issue?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!