CLiNT: New newsstand comic from Mark Millar/Titan!

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

PaulTwist

CLiNT: New newsstand comic from Mark Millar/Titan!

Post by PaulTwist »

Cripes, this is something I've wished existed for quite a while...

September sees the launch of a new UK comic - available from newsagents, no less - from Titan. Named CLiNT, it's squarely aimed at the 16-30 age group. It will feature the debut of the second Kick-Ass series, Jonathan Ross' Turf, a new comic strip from Frankie Boyle and more.

More info here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/04/ ... ss-sequel/

I'll be buying this. Hope it does well...

Lew Stringer

Re: CLiNT: New newsstand comic from Mark Millar/Titan!

Post by Lew Stringer »

PaulTwist wrote:Cripes, this is something I've wished existed for quite a while...

September sees the launch of a new UK comic - available from newsagents, no less - from Titan. Named CLiNT, it's squarely aimed at the 16-30 age group. It will feature the debut of the second Kick-Ass series, Jonathan Ross' Turf, a new comic strip from Frankie Boyle and more.

More info here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/04/ ... ss-sequel/

I'll be buying this. Hope it does well...

I already mentioned it under General Discussion Paul. Unfortunately no one here was interested. :roll:

Let's hope it does well anyway. I doubt it'll be the "Eagle for the 21st Century" Millar is promising. That's just a soundbite to get media attention, but any new UK comic should be welcomed. I just hope they find room amongst those celebrity contributors to publish work from people with experience in comics. :wink:

PaulTwist

Re: New comic launching in September

Post by PaulTwist »

Apologies to Lew - I missed this thread and started another in Comic Titles.

I can't believe there isn't more excitement about this on here. A new British comic, available from newsagents, including new material! This is something I never thought I'd see again. It's Warrior/Deadline/Blast! for the 2010s!

I know that most of the people who post here are more interested in nostalgia about old children's comics (and that's why this forum is great, and how I found it in the first place) but a new British comic is something to shout about, no?

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Apologies Lew - missed your original post. (If a mod could so some timey wimey mergey wergey stuff and absorb my thread into Lew's that'd be quite splendid...)

I know what you mean about over-reliance on celebs, but it seems like Millar is (rightly or wrongly) targeting the mainstream with this one - while you or I might be enticed by new work from John Romita Jr, I guess he's going for the people who are more likely to be interested in reading the comic about that film they've just seen with the ultraviolence and the potty-mouthed girl. :)

And, of course, having celeb names to drop shouldn't harm sales either. If there can be a balance of comics professionals and slebby contributors it could be a commercial and critical success...

I hope this is successful, I really do. It feels like the last chance to do a proper new adult-orientated comic before we're all reading everything on iPads or having our entertainment being directly beamed into our brains or something...

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: I already mentioned it under General Discussion Paul. Unfortunately no one here was interested. :roll:

I don't know why I didn't see yesterday's message from Lew when I clicked 'Today's Posts' yesterday or this morning but I didn't! Did it come up? I wonder - I've posted new things before which haven't appeared on 'Today's posts.' For whatever reason, this is the first time I've seen either thread title or announcement.

I'm interested. The one thing that'll put me off buying is if it's filled with the kind of casual extreme violence - knives, blades, torture, et al. that's filling and increasingly putting me off the ever-more-myopic American titles and which, indeed, informs Kick Ass. To me, that only appeals to a particular adolescent mindset and is far from "adult." So I'm really hoping that “edgy and irreverent" doesn't mean more of that, but something genuinely daring, and intellectually and imaginatively stimulating.

We shall see - and I certainly look forward to seeing.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Firstly, no apology necessary Paul. I was just surprised there wasn't more interest from people who usually want to see new adventure anthologies. If people are only waiting for a revival of The Hotspur etc it ain't going to happen.

I hope CLiNT works. I'm skeptical about the "edgy and irreverant" hype because things that usually promote themselves like that are about as radical as Terry and June or those ultra-normal nerks who proclaim themselves "zany". The public will decide if it's "edgy" or not, like they did with Viz, and like Viz it'll survive if it has the balls to be really different from what's gone before.

I don't like the title. Not for any prudish reason, but because it's a juvenile one-joke snigger that'll become old hat by the time issue two is out. Perhaps if it's a success they'll launch companion titles FLiCK and SPLiNK. Yeah, about as "edgy" as SFX magazine constantly having the F partially hidden so the mag looks like it's called SEX.
:snoring:

Still, best of luck to it. Should be great to see a new UK comic in newsagents. Even if the material is part US-reprint it's an approach that never hurt Smash! or Pow! (Well, maybe it did, as they didn't last long but content wise they were great.)
Last edited by Lew Stringer on 05 May 2010, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I had a look through the KICK-ASS graphic novel, and I thought the film version was rellatively faithful to the drawn version.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: I'm skeptical about the "edgy and irreverent*" hype because things that usually promote themselves like that are about as radical as Terry and June ...

Well, Frankie Boyle is famous lately for picking on Down's Syndrome children in his comedy, so at least we know he doesn't choose easy targets.

(* You typed "irrelevant", Lew, but I'm sure you meant "irreverent"!)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote: I'm skeptical about the "edgy and irreverent*" hype because things that usually promote themselves like that are about as radical as Terry and June ...

Well, Frankie Boyle is famous lately for picking on Down's Syndrome children in his comedy, so at least we know he doesn't choose easy targets.
Ah yes, I just Googled that. What a clint.
Raven wrote:(* You typed "irrelevant", Lew, but I'm sure you meant "irreverent"!)
LOL! Thanks for picking me up on that. I'll correct it, - although I might change it back again after I've seen the mag. :wink:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:Firstly, no apology necessary Paul. I was just surprised there wasn't more interest from people who usually want to see new adventure anthologies. If people are only waiting for a revival of The Hotspur etc it ain't going to happen.
Well Classics from the Comics is reprinting some of their stuff, I guess that's the closest we're going to get. They even reprinted a text story from Adventure this month.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Sounds great! And the Kick Ass sequel should help it a great deal seeing as the dvd may be due around that time

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Mark Millar is calling the 100 page magazine “The Eagle for the 21st Century”
...when it's looking like it's going to be filled with superhero guff but with a "British touch" even though said "British touch" has ruled supreme in America for years so in reality it won't be anything special. And add to that stories which will clearly be written about more for who is involved in them rather than what they are about. Oh and it's bound to be full of t*ts, innards, preaching about how wrong we all are for driving cars and wearing clothes and lame internet culture references that are 5 years out of date. Eagle for the 21st century? Don't make me laugh, a Crisis* at best.

INB4 somebody tells me how i'm wrong because a wikipedia quote about X creators previous involvement in Y says so.

*-NB: Not a good thing.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Of course I will buy the first issue and take it from their but
I can't stand the sycophant Jonathan Ross or Frankie Boyle though.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:
Mark Millar is calling the 100 page magazine “The Eagle for the 21st Century”
...when it's looking like it's going to be filled with superhero guff but with a "British touch" even though said "British touch" has ruled supreme in America for years so in reality it won't be anything special. And add to that stories which will clearly be written about more for who is involved in them rather than what they are about. Oh and it's bound to be full of t*ts, innards, preaching about how wrong we all are for driving cars and wearing clothes and lame internet culture references that are 5 years out of date. Eagle for the 21st century? Don't make me laugh, a Crisis* at best.

INB4 somebody tells me how i'm wrong because a wikipedia quote about X creators previous involvement in Y says so.

*-NB: Not a good thing.
I suspect you'll be right. It's supposed to be aimed at the public but by and large Joe Public doesn't go for the usual fanboy stuff. Still, good luck to it. Good that it's being distributed in newsagents. Now all they have to do is convince easily offended retailers to stock a mag with a title that's a rude playground joke and find readers with long enough arms to reach it from the top shelf.