If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Gilly

Re: If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Post by Gilly »

Terry wrote:No surprise from me, it would have to be Striker
Looks like 1 wish has come true on this thread. :D

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

what is striker coming back as a comic or in the sun again

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

We don't know yet, I got an email from them, I posted it in the Striker thread under newspaper strips.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I dont think ive ever looked in the newspaper strips section i only read the general comics discusion & comic titles sections,the striker 3d website seems to have been down for ages now hopefully they will have good news if it ever goes live again

Terry

Post by Terry »

Gilly wrote:
Terry wrote:No surprise from me, it would have to be Striker
Looks like 1 wish has come true on this thread. :D
:up: looking forward too its return, and the animation will be interesting to see.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Although they are not strictly comics I would bring back the Beano and Dandy comic libraries. I remember seeing them in Tesco and never buying any as I was not a collector then. They were good because you got 1 long strip and a lot of funny background jokes as well. But if I had to chose a proper comic it would be Beezer.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The libraries are comics, just not the anthology kind like the weeklies.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Bring back Misty! There's nothing for Goth girls to read these days except those stupid sparkly vampire stories.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Have you read any of Ted Naifeh's Courtney Crumrin stories Mari? Courtney eats stupid sparkly vampires for breakfast! :)

- Phil Rushton

SID

Post by SID »

The Dandy but with a difference. :wave:

First: It would be a monthly.

Second: It would not just contain the classic Dandy names we know and love, it would showcase other DCT characters (such as Morgyn the Mighty, King Cobra, etc...). It could be a mixture of reprints/new stories though I would imagine the emphasis would be on the reprints.

Third: I would aim the comic (which is why I would suggest it could be a monthly) at the dads rather than the kids (although they could buy it if they want).

So in summary: A Dandy/Classics From the Comics combo monthly (though called the Dandy) but with the emphasis on story/adventure strips with a few Dandy classic comedy strips thrown in.

I would definitely buy it. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

As I recall, Bunty did that (switching from weekly new material to monthly reprint) when it closed in 2001. Only lasted a few issues.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Marionette wrote:Bring back Misty! There's nothing for Goth girls to read these days except those stupid sparkly vampire stories.
I actually saw something that looked interesting called "Monster High" the other week, and 'unusually' it wasn't vacuum-sealed in a bag full of toys, so I had a look through it, not a single comic strip!

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

philcom55 wrote:Have you read any of Ted Naifeh's Courtney Crumrin stories Mari? Courtney eats stupid sparkly vampires for breakfast! :)

- Phil Rushton
Courtney Crumrin is great. Love it.

I think Monster High is based on a cartoon. It does seem quite playful, recreating classic monster archetypes as teenage girls.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Vertigo's IZombie did something similar. I was really disappointed when they wound it up.

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

felneymike wrote:
Marionette wrote:Bring back Misty! There's nothing for Goth girls to read these days except those stupid sparkly vampire stories.
I actually saw something that looked interesting called "Monster High" the other week, and 'unusually' it wasn't vacuum-sealed in a bag full of toys, so I had a look through it, not a single comic strip!
Toyline tie-in. Looks like a supernatural version of Bratz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_High