If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Gilly

If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Post by Gilly »

I know this could never happen but I am just intrested on what everyone wishes was still on sale from many years ago.

For me I wish Buster was still on sale. By the time I read it Buster was a fortnightly comic but I used to enjoy reading it as much as I did The Beano and Dandy.

Anyway I've begun with mine does anyone else have an old favourite they would love to return

Shiner

Re: If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Post by Shiner »

Whizzer & Chips - now there's a comic that could sit on the shelves today with it's rival gang culture! Seriously though I don't think the power of a familiar name like W&C should be underestimated. Revivals like Wispa, Dr Who and all the Hollywood remakes tap into nostalgic familiarity. I know I'd pick up a copy to see what it was like though the characters would probably be as unrecognisable as 1970s Chips was to 1930s Chips.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'd've said Whizzer and Chips too. I read it every week back in the day, but missed issues when it went to 24 pages of poor colour and far dearer per page than Buster.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adventure, my all-time favourite DC Thomson text story paper. Of course, if they did bring it back I'd then be pressurising them regularly on the phone to bring back The Rover, The Wizard and The Hotspur as well, in that order of preference. Bet they don't though! :(

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I would say TV Century 21 but then it would no longer have art by Bellamy or Embleton so would we want our favourite comics relaunched if they had a completely different look? The same goes for the Power comics which were of their time and a lot of the strips would not make sense to today's youngsters. If they were done in the modern style you might as well give it a new modern name. It all depends what you mean by "brought back".

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Either Whoopee! or Star-Lord.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I have to say that I agree that Whizzer and Chips would still not look out of place today with a bit of modern tweaking

But thats a good point raised a lot of the artists would not be around today so would we want our old favourites back looking totally different

I'd be in two minds about that for one it would be strange but then again I like the Dandy revamp so I probably wouldn't mind

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Gilly wrote:I have to say that I agree that Whizzer and Chips would still not look out of place today with a bit of modern tweaking.

But that's a good point raised. A lot of the artists would not be around today so would we want our old favourites back looking totally different?

I'd be in two minds about that. For one it would be strange, but then again I like the Dandy revamp so I probably wouldn't mind.
Please note the amendments I have made to your post, Gilly. You will notice that it is now more reader-friendly. No offence intended.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

No offence taken Phoenix.

Thanks for the advice and I will try to be better with my typing from now on. :cheers:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I would probably bring back the Beezer. Ideally, it would include lots of classic characters - Colonel Blink (my personal favourite), The Badd Lads, Baby Crockett, The Banana Bunch etc. and maybe a few all-new strips, though I wouldn't include The Numskulls because they're currently running in the Beano.

I'm not sure who I'd choose to draw the strips though. The only one I'd rule out would be Nick Brennan on Ginger - I felt his style was odds to the character, though that's just my opinion.
Last edited by Jonny Whizz on 18 Oct 2011, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

In the mid 90s when I was about 7, it always used to confuse me that Beezer was no longer a weekly comic.

I used to get the Holiday Specials and Annuals but I remember once going to the shops looking for the weekly comic. :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

tony ingram wrote:Either Whoopee! or Star-Lord.
Tony, Starlord was fantastic. I would have to go either with that or with Tornado. My heart would love to say Crunch as it was getting better towards the end, but Tornado was getting awesome in my mind.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I would say Eagle (As I dont think Doomlord ended properly & Dan Dare needs a weekly home again,Hint hint 2000ad,not counting the virgincomics revamp/failure a few years ago)) Or Whoopee with shiver & shake.

Terry

Post by Terry »

No surprise from me, it would have to be Striker

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

big bad bri wrote:I would say Eagle (As I dont think Doomlord ended properly & Dan Dare needs a weekly home again,Hint hint 2000ad,not counting the virgincomics revamp/failure a few years ago)) Or Whoopee with shiver & shake.
Unfortunately, i can't see 2000AD ever getting the rights to Dan Dare back, and if they did he probably wouldn't fit too well with the title's current direction.
Last edited by tony ingram on 12 Mar 2012, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.