My history of comics

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kev-1961

My history of comics

Post by Kev-1961 »

My earliest memories of comics were thanks to titles such as,TV21,World Of Wonder,Treasure,Beano and books such as Timothy`s Book Of Trains,Lady Bird books,Underwater Exploration,and the`What To Look For series.

On tv there were series like The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau,and The Pathfinders.

1970`s,Look And Learn-because it incorporated Treasure,Countdown.Target,Buster,TV Comic, Trains books and Spaceflight,and then 2000AD,and Commando and Battle comics-mostly Aviation.

The last comics that I bought in a newsagents were Gerry Anderson related,and the last books,reference.

I have managed to keep a number of annuals,but the rest have been found on ebay.

When I was young,my parents always`insisted`that I gave away my old comics,when my Grandad died and Gran came to live with us,Dad got rid of a lot of his stuff that he had collected when he was young-burnt the lot!,including some football cards,

In the `80`s on an epidode of the Antiques Road Show,a collection of football cards was featured,with a high value-I just gave my parents a look of`now you know how it feels`.

These days its mainly Fanzines that I get,-I am a member of Fanderson:The Official Gerry Anderson Appreciation Society,and the most recent book that I bought is Apollo,Remastered,by Andy Saunders.

jim244

Re: My history of comics

Post by jim244 »

Kev-1961 wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:16
My earliest memories of comics were thanks to titles such as,TV21,World Of Wonder,Treasure,Beano and books such as Timothy`s Book Of Trains,Lady Bird books,Underwater Exploration,and the`What To Look For series.

On tv there were series like The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau,and The Pathfinders.

1970`s,Look And Learn-because it incorporated Treasure,Countdown.Target,Buster,TV Comic, Trains books and Spaceflight,and then 2000AD,and Commando and Battle comics-mostly Aviation.

The last comics that I bought in a newsagents were Gerry Anderson related,and the last books,reference.

I have managed to keep a number of annuals,but the rest have been found on ebay.

When I was young,my parents always`insisted`that I gave away my old comics,when my Grandad died and Gran came to live with us,Dad got rid of a lot of his stuff that he had collected when he was young-burnt the lot!,including some football cards,

In the `80`s on an epidode of the Antiques Road Show,a collection of football cards was featured,with a high value-I just gave my parents a look of`now you know how it feels`.

These days its mainly Fanzines that I get,-I am a member of Fanderson:The Official Gerry Anderson Appreciation Society,and the most recent book that I bought is Apollo,Remastered,by Andy Saunders.

Great post Kev.
Personally I started on Rupert Bear annuals,then TV Comic,then Star Trek annuals.
Look-in,Marvel UK,Alan Class at UK holiday camps with parents.
Commando,Action,Bullet,2000 AD........list is endless.
At age 15 I gave up comics and was spending my paperboy and pocket money on records and girls (1983).
In 1987 I started getting very into DC comics as my gf at the time liked them and we had a bedsit with limited money.
Today in 2024 I have got far too into this as am constantly needing more space for my plastic boxes.
Like you Kev,my folks threw almost everything away and I have been collecting from shops and online for decades.
BTW:Also was a massive fan (still am) of comedy stuff;Whizzer and chips,Dandy etc.

jim244

Re: My history of comics

Post by jim244 »

BTW:Also a massive Gerry Anderson fan.