IGNCC - International Graphic Novels and Comics Conference

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

comixminx

IGNCC - International Graphic Novels and Comics Conference

Post by comixminx »

A few months ago I saw a Call for Papers for the IGNCC event in Bournemouth (http://internationalgraphicnovelandcomi ... rence.com/). This is an academic conference on the theme of 'Retro! Time, Memory, Nostalgia' - and a number of people interested in different aspects of British comics seem to have found this to be their time to apply. I have had a paper accepted with the title 'Lost in Time: The problem of crediting the creator in girls comics' (now I just have to write it :lol: ).

Keynote speakers have just been announced today, and my goodness, it's a great lineup! Anne Digby will be talking, and so will David Roach whose name is well known around these parts.

Are others interested in going? Beware, it is an academic conference, with all that entails - the papers will be very interesting I think, but it's much pricier than an comics convention or other event that punters would go along to.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: IGNCC - International Graphic Novels and Comics Conferen

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Are others interested in going?
Not me, I'm afraid, Jenni, although the programme does look reasonably enticing due to the wide range of themes. And I do like Bournemouth. My parents took me and my younger brother, as teenagers, there two years running for our summer holiday. Two things I recall in particular were going to Wimborne Minster because Mr Melinsky, my old RE teacher at LRGS had left the profession to become the minister there. That was all rather strange. The other memorable thing was going with my father to a horse race meeting at Goodwood. My dad gave me some money to bet with, and suggested that I place my bets on the Tote rather than with bookmakers. I think I did a mixture. I do however remember two horses that I had backed, London Cry in the third race, and Darlene in the fifth, because they both won their races, and brought me a quite significant sum of money. It's a pity I didn't back them as a Tote Double as I would have won a small fortune. Still, you live and learn.

P.S. I have just looked up the racing information that I posted above in my Sporting Chronicle Racing Up-To-Date Form Book : Flat Racing Annual Part for 1958. London Cry won the Chesterfield Cup over 1 mile 2 furlongs, and Darlene won the Nassau Stakes for 2 year old fillies, also over 1 mile 2 furlongs. These two races took place on Friday August 1st 1958. London Cry went on to win three races in 1959, but as far as I can tell from my Form Books : Annual Parts for 1959 onwards, Darlene does not appear to have run again although her Nassau Stakes success marked her out as a genuine contender for the 1000 Guineas, the first classic for 3 year old fillies in 1959, which was run over a mile at Newmarket.