Theme change

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

swirlythingy

Theme change

Post by swirlythingy »

I normally have "Log me on automatically" ticked, but for some reason when I just loaded the forum homepage I was logged out (I suspect my cookies have been messed up, as the same recently happened on the Beano and Dandy forums). But it was a bit of a shock this time - the forum design's completely changed! And then after I managed to find the new login form it suddenly switched back again.

I've managed to find the new theme in the UCP (it's called "Hestia"), but having been used to seeing Comics UK in blue whether I'm logged in or not, could Al satisfy my autistic side with a reason for the change?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Re: Theme change

Post by Digifiend »

I just logged out and logged back in again, and I see what you mean. Strange, especially when this forum doesn't have a theme change option when logged out, unlike some others I use. Personally, I think that if the theme is changed, it should be to something which matches the main website. Hestia doesn't.

Something else odd, when I logged back in, I got a pop-up saying "No new private messages are waiting for you." Isn't this only meant to happen when you DO have PMs waiting? :?

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Times, they are a-changing.

I'm currently in the process of adding a few new themes for members to choose from. The reason being that bo2soft, the current default theme, lacks a few spammer security necessities that the new ones have. If you're into 'feeds', these will also be available in the new set up.

All members can still keep using bo2soft if they so wish, it will not be a problem. But you will need to set your own personal style via the User Control Panel (UCP) because the default style will change over this Christmas period.

The spammer detection problem only relates to guest (aka anonymous) users, so the default style needs to be in place to allow for a human-being check :)

All members will be able to select their desired style by doing the following:-
+ Click on the User Control Panel (UCP)
+ From the left column click on Board Preferences
+ From the My board style row select your desired style (there's even a winter one)
+ And that's it.

Early results have shown that 100% of spam-bots are failing to register successfully, so it's looking good for us Mods who were spending a lot of time validating legitimate members.

I'll let you know when we'll go live with the new default style, but you can take a sneak look at them right now by using the method described above. At the time of writing I am currently uploading and tweaking the new styles.

The new default style looks like being Hestia, but I'm willing to change. If you have nothing better to do over Christmas (bah-humbug) you can vet all the possible styles here (http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/).

Thank you,

Al

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Nice, Quick Reply has been added at last! Seems to be on every skin except bo2soft. :)

Some alterations that need doing (all very minor changes):
Absolution needs text size tweaking to make forum descriptions appear in smaller text than forum titles on the main index.
Cerulean has a large empty space at the the top of the page, perhaps you could put the banner from the bo2soft theme there?
Prospace has a typo on the time display: "It is currenlty 8:21:30 PM"
proChristmas, prosilver and subsilver2 don't have the Comics UK logo.

The :offtopic2: smiley needs to be altered, some parts are transparent instead of white, and the dark backgrounds on certain skins (Cerulean and Prospace) are showing through.