Comic ads gallery?

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Comic ads gallery?

Post by stevezodiac »

As a big fan of the full and half page ads that appear, not only in the comics but in Women's magazines too, would it be possible for Comics UK to have a separate gallery where we can contribute these? I recently came across a four page ad for the first Hurricane which would be nice to cpature for posterity here. Also in a copy of Lion, which felt a bit thick, I found a large poster sized ad for the Big One comic. It was a full size copy of the front cover with the advert on the back. Too large to scan in here though. A great find though.

Digifiend

Re: Comic ads gallery?

Post by Digifiend »

Scan it in two or four parts and combine the pieces using an image editor. Should be seamless if you line it up correctly.

The advert gallery is definitely a good idea.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've put loads of comics ad on here over the years but they are all scattered among the various comic titles and many would have expired by now. The Big One ad would involve eight scans (four a side) and I don't even want to think about trying to put it up here in two pieces.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's a nice example I have just come across from the Beano no. 951 dated 8/10/60.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Nice Beano example Steve, and what a good idea for an ads gallery.

I have some comics that advertise some of the summer specials that i have, the ads gallery could complement some of the scans of the specials etc, eg which comics they were advertised in, what month they came out.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's an ad for the first Bunty Book which has turned up in one of the Rover comics I bought last week.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Here is a nice ad for a Clash of the Robots competition from the late seventies, looks like fun! Did anyone win one?
Attachments
Clash.of.the.Robots.jpg

blaing

Post by blaing »

I'm planning to do an ad gallery for the Beano and Dandy Comic Libraries on my blog.

here is two which come from the Dandy Comic Library, although Korky and Dan are usually swapped around.

the first one is from No. 175

And from No. 172.

Tomorrow on my blog, I'll post the a couple of Beano library ads (starring Dennis and Gnasher, as well as one featuring the Bash Street Kids)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

When is your birthday, Blaing? Mine's February 25th (Same as George Harrison).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Those were the two basic "other issue" back covers, although a variety of colours got used. I have a notion a third was used from time to time as well.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The early issues of the Beano comic libraries had different back page ads - the early ones had next month's on the back cover and the other current issue advertised inside, rather than the usual other way around. I don't know if the same applies to the Dandy libraries, but since they launched a year later, perhaps not. Also, the last Beano comic libraries (retitled Beano Picture Stories for the last few months) advertised the same month's Dandy libraries on the inside back cover, instead of the first Fun-Sizes. I assume Dandy did likewise, advertising Beano's, but I don't have them nor even have their titles on my list.

There was a number of different designs used for the inside back cover ads. More varied than the back covers.

blaing

Post by blaing »

stevezodiac wrote:When is your birthday, Blaing? Mine's February 25th (Same as George Harrison).
I'm on the 16th, My mother is also born on your birthday.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Digifiend wrote:The early issues of the Beano comic libraries had different back page ads - the early ones had next month's on the back cover and the other current issue advertised inside, rather than the usual other way around. I don't know if the same applies to the Dandy libraries, but since they launched a year later, perhaps not.
That's correct - the first 24 Beano comic libraries were like that, and they changed over the same month as the Dandy libraries began. Also, once the Beano went over to advertising the other comic library for that month, they had more back cover designs.