General comics discussion

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

toxteth o'grady

General comics discussion

Post by toxteth o'grady »

I've been visiting the ComicsUK site regularly since 2001. Over the last few weeks I've noticed that I'm spending less and less time here. The reason is that I always go straight to this forum to see any new threads, and there's been fewer here. This is because any post that isn't about comics in general is being shunted to a more relevant forum. I feel I'm missing out at not seeing these new threads. Although I occaisionally do make forays into the myriad of other forums, I don't fancy having to trawl them frequently to find the new threads.

I've usually posted stuff here because I know that more people are going to see it. I think a lot of other people do the same. My suggestion is that any new threads started here are allowed to stay for a certain amount of time - a week / two weeks / a month - before being archived in a more relevant forum/sub-forum in order to give more people the chance to see it.

What do other readers think?

tony ingram

Re: General comics discussion

Post by tony ingram »

This is why I usually click on 'view new posts' as soon as I log-in.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

this should have been posted in the suggestions/support forum. :)

But seriously I dont have this problem because I read every post (or just look at it ) so I have a little star on forums which have posts i havent read yet and just go to there. Threads on stuff i'm not interested in I just flick thru and then quickly close them so the stars disappear. This may not be a feasible solution to your problem if you have alot of unread posts.
I dont just visit this sub-forum there are certain sub-forums which i read alot more than others and im slightly surprised it is not the same for you.

toxteth o'grady

tony ingram wrote:This is why I usually click on 'view new posts' as soon as I log-in.
Thanks for this ,Tony. All these years I've been coming here I've never noticed that.
Feel a bit of an idiot now!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I just look at the date and time of the last post for each of the main subforums and the ones within comic titles. If it's since I last logged on, I know I haven't read it.

Raven

Post by Raven »

As Tony says, clicking 'view new posts' is the best/easiest way to do it.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Personally, I tend to check the sections which hold most interest for me first. This is why, for example, I'm a regular in the Beano sub-forum whereas I never post in the 2000AD sub-section (I'm not familiar enough with it) or the Viz sub-section (I don't feel comfortable posting about a comic with such overtly rude contents). However, I do check the date of the last post and I don't usually bother reading a sub-forum if no new posts have been added
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I dont post in Viz or 2000AD regularly because those sub forums are somewhat "dead" and in 2000AD's case I dont read the comic.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Truthfully, I've been very frustrated precisely because people post in General Comics Discussion about something that should be somewhere else. Like this very topic, which doesn't belong in this forum as Tin Can points out.

So I spend time moving topics where you, the users, should have posted in the first place, and, to be fair, you should all know very well. If it's about an artist, post it in the Writers and Artists' forum. If it's about the Beano or the Dandy, post it there. If it's about how this forum is run, post it in Suggestions - after all, it's got absolutely nothing to do with comics. Hint hint.

In short, if there is a specific forum, it's automatically off-topic in General Comics Discussion, so don't post it there or it will be moved without any notice. Simple as.

You don't even need to use the "View New Posts" option. Once you've read all the forums you're interested in, go back to the Forum Index and click on "mark forums read" - then you'll know immediately which ones have had new posts.

Don't clog General Comics Discussion up with stuff about subjects which belong elsewhere. It's not fair, can cause duplication (such as if users start threads both there and the Dandy forum about one subject, as has happened recently), and wastes our time moving them where they belong.

This topic will be moved in a few days.

Rant ends. For now.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Couldn't agree more. View new posts button is the best thing to use. It ensures that you miss nothing between visits.

Also look at the description of the forum and that gives you a better idea of what to post where.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

toxteth o'grady

OK guys, I hold my hand up.
In future I'll use 'view new posts'.

One last moan - could we have a change in the forum layout so the date of the post isn't in a light grey font on a light grey background?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Got to agree - Al, can you change the CSS as all the light grey fonts and writing are really annoying? ;)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Don't forget we have multiple skins now. That issue probably only affects one of them.

toxteth o'grady

toxteth o'grady wrote:
tony ingram wrote:This is why I usually click on 'view new posts' as soon as I log-in.
Thanks for this ,Tony. All these years I've been coming here I've never noticed that.
Feel a bit of an idiot now!
Just realised why I've never noticed 'view new posts' in all these years - you need to be logged in first to see it. In the past I've only ever logged in to post.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I just stay premanently logged in.