Help please! Specific Beano required.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Heebee_GB

Help please! Specific Beano required.

Post by Heebee_GB »

Hi all. What a great forum!

I am trying to find a beano comic that I had a picture published when I was a child. (My kids read the Beano but dont believe me I had something published!)
It was in the club/letters section. It was during the mid to late eighties.
It was a picture of Smiffy and friend carrying a picture of two Elephants, Smiffy complaining he had the heavy end.
If you have one or know where is best to find one please let me know. I understand this is worth more to me than the average collector so I am willing to pay more than market value.
Thankyou

GB :)

Jonny Whizz

Re: Help please! Specific Beano required.

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I've only been collecting the Beano since 2002 and my oldest issue is from 1998 so I wouldn't know which issue it was. You could try and find the issue on ebay but if you don't know the date or issue number then you would probably have difficulty identifying the issue. It could pop up in a second hand stall somewhere but there is still the problem of identification.

I'm sure someone on here will have the issue and could give the date or issue number (or even the cover - I personall think this is quite a helpful way of finding an issue), then I think you would know which one to look for. Sorry if I've been a bit vague, I'm certain other members can provide more information.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

can Peter not help on this one?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Heebee_GB

Post by Heebee_GB »

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the help and the welcome.

I have no clue what the cover was or even what year, just know I would have been around 10-12 at the time, so that puts it between 85-87. (Maybe older or younger!?!?)

Its the same old story for me, I had all my collection in the loft at home, moved out and forgot about them only to find they were skipped by my lovely parents the summer I left! :o :x

I've still got a box of the little mini comics that you could get at news stands that featured a story on just the one character. They managed to hide from the cull!

I think I may have to trawl through a comic fair. Anyone know any in the new year in the North West?

Cheers again & Merry Christmas

GB

Raven

Post by Raven »

Heebee_GB wrote: I think I may have to trawl through a comic fair. Anyone know any in the new year in the North West?
GB
The next one in Manchester is on Saturday 22nd January at the Thistle Hotel, Portland Street, but it's very unlikely you'd find any 85-87 Beanos there (though you do sometimes get some early 70s ones).

Your best bet in Manchester would probably be Empire Exchange (1, Newton Street) which does tend to have boxes of old Beanos under one of the tables - can't guarantee but they're more likely to have a stack of Eighties ones.

Heebee_GB

Post by Heebee_GB »

Cheers raven.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Heebee GB,
If I get the time later today I'll check throught the relevant issues and try to find the specific number in which your picture appeared. Can't promise but I'll do my best.
Kashgar.

Heebee_GB

Post by Heebee_GB »

That would be brilliant Kashgar. Much appreciated. As I said around mid to late eighties in the Letters/Members page.

Thanks

Gary

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Right, I've had a look and things are not quite as straightforward as they might have appeared. But, assuming that you are Christopher Davies who once lived in Dudley in the West Midlands then the issue you are looking for is No 2205 dated 20th Oct 1984.
The drawing appeared on the Dennis the Menace Fan Club (including Gnasher's Fang Club) page but it is somewhat different to how you remember it. For a start Smiffy does not feature in the picture only two workmen (cloth cap/overalls) and the picture itself doesn't depict two elephants but rather an elephant and a mouse which makes more sense of the tag-line, uttered by the workman carrying the 'elephant end' of the picture, 'Fred! Will you take a turn at the heavy end!' It was the 'Joke of the Week' and won Master Davies (you?) a Dennis T shirt and poster.
If, despite the disparities, this is the right drawing then there are three fine copies of this issue for sale on 26pigs at the moment for the princely sum of 50p each plus postage.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've checked through nearly all the 1988 Beanos no joy..
I don't have 2377

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just checked 1989
don't have

no luck at the end of 1989 the joke page turns into colour....my guess it must be in 1987... :headbash: :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

This joke did appear as two elephants Kashgar..jokes often got repeated..
can't find my 1987 Beanos now.. :x

Heebee_GB

Post by Heebee_GB »

Kashgar wrote:Right, I've had a look and things are not quite as straightforward as they might have appeared. But, assuming that you are Christopher Davies who once lived in Dudley in the West Midlands then the issue you are looking for is No 2205 dated 20th Oct 1984.
The drawing appeared on the Dennis the Menace Fan Club (including Gnasher's Fang Club) page but it is somewhat different to how you remember it. For a start Smiffy does not feature in the picture only two workmen (cloth cap/overalls) and the picture itself doesn't depict two elephants but rather an elephant and a mouse which makes more sense of the tag-line, uttered by the workman carrying the 'elephant end' of the picture, 'Fred! Will you take a turn at the heavy end!' It was the 'Joke of the Week' and won Master Davies (you?) a Dennis T shirt and poster.
If, despite the disparities, this is the right drawing then there are three fine copies of this issue for sale on 26pigs at the moment for the princely sum of 50p each plus postage.

I did copy it but added a new twist with Smiffy. It was definately later than this.
Thanks for looking. The search continues..........................

Heebee_GB

Post by Heebee_GB »

Peter Gray wrote:This joke did appear as two elephants Kashgar..jokes often got repeated..
can't find my 1987 Beanos now.. :x
Thanks for looking Peter...Jokes often get plagirised more like. I definately copied it from another comic.
1987 is looking favourite. The search continues.......

dishes

Post by dishes »

Peter Gray wrote:I've checked through nearly all the 1988 Beanos no joy..
I don't have 2377
It's not in any of those

Peter Gray wrote:Just checked 1989
don't have
None of them either.

It wasn't in 1987 either, unless it was one of these missing issues:
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk