This week's issue - Take 4

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: This week's issue - Take 4

Post by AndyB »

Yes, but there's a full page ad for the diary. I think it's to avoid raising the subscription, which is already bargain basement, and reflects the fact that subscribers are already hooked and need less effort perhaps. I suspect the sampler is more to promote the Beano than the book, but with the added benefits for book sales.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:I would never have guessed it was the same artist,he should have always drawn the classic look,i hope he sticks to that design in the future.
Bri, if you're ever in doubt as to who drew what, the list of credits is on page 2.

Personally I'd always prefer artists to draw in their own style rather than ghost someone else but Wayne's so brilliant he can do a fantastic job in any style he uses.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote:Yes, but there's a full page ad for the diary. I think it's to avoid raising the subscription, which is already bargain basement, and reflects the fact that subscribers are already hooked and need less effort perhaps. I suspect the sampler is more to promote the Beano than the book, but with the added benefits for book sales.
At the risk of being called a "company man" again (which I'm certainly not) it can't always be easy for publishers to pick up on the mixed signals from readers. For example, several people here have complained about The Beano being "bagged with tat" and costing more for it, but now others are complaining because they didn't get the gifts and they didn't have to pay extra.

I think the way to look at that two tier issue of last week is to regard the bagged and gifted one as a special promotion for shops, which is what it was. I can understand the disappointment of younger subscribers for missing out on the extras, but as Andy says, the sub price is low anyway. Although it seems to me that anything that makes some readers feel left out probably isn't the best idea sales and marketing have had.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Stop messing with the style Bananaman drawn in it was perfect the last few weeks :lol: although it is still better than the last year or so :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:Although it seems to me that anything that makes some readers feel left out probably isn't the best idea sales and marketing have had.
Yeah, that's the problem. People aren't happy at missing out. If nobody had it, they'd still be happy.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I expected to see something about Andy Murray editing this week's issue. They had a copy on the bbc Wimbledon coverage this morning and replayed Andy's title triumph at last years championship in comic strip form complete with captions and sound effect lettering. It has been covered by a few newspapers too.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

All good publicity! :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like this week's issue is out late. Last week's still on sale at WHSmith as of 8 hours ago.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

https://www.facebook.com/TheBeanoComic/ ... hoto_reply
There's some sort of delivery problem, confirmed by DCT - they blamed Walter for puncturing the tyres on the delivery lorries!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Newsround report about this week's Dennis and Gnasher story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/29932935

All in a good cause, sure, but Gnasher being on a lead was very out of character.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Digifiend wrote:Newsround report about this week's Dennis and Gnasher story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/29932935

All in a good cause, sure, but Gnasher being on a lead was very out of character.
Makes you wonder how they managed to get the yellow lead on Gnasher in first place... But seriously though it does look wrong

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I still have not received this weeks subscription issue & i usually receive it monday at the latest,do the sub copies always arrive late this time of year or is it just my dodgy lay postman :lol: i will check later to see if it is in the shops.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well it arrived in the shops just fine. Next week's is the Christmas edition.

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

Digifiend wrote: Next week's is the Christmas edition.
Keep a look out for what maybe the most heavy handed bit of foreshadowing in a comic ever, in the Christmas Dennis. :)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Got both on sat inc free gift with the xmas one which was a shock as i didn't think sub copies got the free gifts or is it just an xmas thing.Also would have been hard pressed to pay £4 in the shop for a regular sized issue.