This week's issue - Take 4

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Re: This week's issue - Take 4

Post by SID »

I must say, I'm getting into the current Dennis storyline since regularly getting The Beano courtesy of the M&S subscription.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Its great they are doing longer stories...maybe another character could have this done like Adventure tim

SID

Post by SID »

I like the Grumpy Cat in this week's Beano. I hope he (I assume?) becomes a regular. :cheers:
Attachments
The Beano starring A Grumpy Cat.jpg
A Grumpy Cat.jpg
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I got this weeks sub in the post along with a free copy of thunderbirds issue 3,i'm so glad i'm not a kid today who collects so called comics. we had it good in the 70s and 80s comics wise.at least they were comics and not what passes for a comic today.it's terrible.at least beano and 2000ad are traditional along with the phoenix.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Don't forget us who were kids in the sixties - Power Comics, TV Century 21, TV Tornado, Solo etc.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

stevezodiac wrote:Don't forget us who were kids in the sixties - Power Comics, TV Century 21, TV Tornado, Solo etc.
yes i should have mentioned the 60s as i love beano and buster from that period although i have never seen a copy of any power comics or any of the titles you mention,i think i had a wham annual once :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:I got this weeks sub in the post along with a free copy of thunderbirds issue 3,i'm so glad i'm not a kid today who collects so called comics. we had it good in the 70s and 80s comics wise.at least they were comics and not what passes for a comic today.it's terrible.at least beano and 2000ad are traditional along with the phoenix.
Shop bought copies have TAG 3 bundled in too. I can't say I'm impressed. The main strip is just screenshots from the TV show. There are mini-strips and other places with original artwork, though I don't recognise the artist. The feature pages are just standard fare. Seemed to be a lot of repetitive use of the Parker hates Sherbert joke.

As for the Beano, Holly Wood must be pretty ditzy if she thinks people will take acting lessons from a 10 year old! No wonder nobody turned up!

I noticed a mistake on the Menace Test - question 4 refers to a story which is NOT in this issue, and therefore cannot be answered. The artwork looks to be from the Fun Kids Radio strip, which is missing this week (pre-empted by the TAG advert it seems, which is odd since it itself is an advert!)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

There is a reason why that happens - the cover goes to press before the inside, and they are assembled by the printers (and to add to the complications, the subscription copies have the international cover due to lack of free gifts) - so if the inside is changed last minute, it's too late. They mustn't have been able to come up with something else to bump, or else they just plain forgot.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, I mentioned it on the Beano's Facebook and they confirmed it was bumped out by an ad and apologised. Strange thing is, Fun Kids got bumped out of this week's issue too, so the strip still hasn't shown up.

Why would there be an international cover in this case? The free issue of TAG wasn't mentioned on the cover, only on the plastic bag the comics came in.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The international/subscription cover is only different when there is either a free gift or an advertisement for a free gift in the domestic retail edition.

At least, I assume that subscribers get the international edition rather than having a unique cover!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Slight goof in this week's issue - on Holly Wood's page, the editor calls her Hayley, apparently getting her mixed up with Hayley Comet.

They also need to decide who is in which class at Bash Street School - Holly Wood's strip shows Tommy King in Mrs Creecher's class (along with Ball Boy and Little Eric - Dennis and Minnie must be off-panel), but his own strip shows him to be in Mr Throbb's (alongside Tricky Dicky and his two friends, Calamity James, Edd, Les Pretend, and a kid who looks like Johnny Bean (not sure why he'd be there, as he isn't a current character).

Minnie's strip this week reminds me of Beano Comic Library 75: Minishing School.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

New feature this week - credits! Every story has artist and writer credits on the left side. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

A few minor changes this week. Angel Face is back for a new run. A new mini-strip called Shouty McShoutface has started, which is basically a revival of old Dandy strip Micky the Mouth. The name, of course, is a reference to Boaty McBoatface. And another change involves Tricky Dicky's storyline. Remember how when he first appeared, his real name was Gordon Bennett? Well, the original Gordon didn't have a teacher as an enemy, but instead his neighbour. This week's strip had Dicky get a new neighbour... Mr Throbb. Looks like he'll be taking on the Mr Nimby role! This will help with the summer storylines, as they can't just coincidentally go on the same holiday as they did last year - once is coincidence enough.

There's also a full page ad for Epic, advertising it's comic strips. I assume it's My Dad's a Doofus strips are Dandy reprint. The others are Dennis & Gnasher (of course), Wallace & Gromit, and Mini-Messi.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

There's a nice little cameo in the last panel of bananaman this week.at least I think it's supposed to be a classic character .

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Roger the dodgers friend calls rogers mum mr's Dawson.in about 35 years of reading beano i never knew Rogers surname :lol: