Beano to get CGI revamp for YouTube generation

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Beano to get CGI revamp for YouTube generation

Post by Lew Stringer »

paw broon wrote:"The box style masthead with the text underneath followed by a big image is pretty much a UK comic standard dating back to Ally Sloper's Half Holiday in the 19th Century. That's why I didn't consider the 2004 Dandy design as distinctively similar to the new Beano.

Basically it's a design dating back to the dawn of UK comics (and even prior to that, with "penny dreadfuls") but with a fresh, modern look, just as the best comics have always reflected contemporary design."
Lew Stringer

Once again I have to suggest a certain amount of caution with this statement. While many comics internationally fall into that style, many do not, including numerous British titles going way back. Some of our best loved and longest lasting titles, e.g., Radio Fun; Eagle; Swift; Film Fun; Beano; Dandy; Topper; Beezer. Then Girls' Crystal, which had an offset to the left title preceding 4 or 5 panels of the opening story. Even Bunty with it's banner title, sometimes had no big illo. on the cover, rather a few, smaller panels of story. Micky Mouse Weekly had an offset to the left title box followed by 10 or 11 standard panels of story on the cover.
A fair number of the lesser known comics of the '40's and '50's - too many to list but including, The Merry Maker; All Star; Ally Sloper - yes the same one mentioned in the quote - Prang; Jolly Chuckles, the list goes on, have (at times in the case of Ally Sloper) the title plus standard panels of story or humour strip on the cover and no big illo.
What does intrigue me is the lack of comics with the title down the left hand side of the cover. Can anyone come up with examples? That would be good :)
"Once again I have to suggest a certain amount of caution with this statement." Makes it sound like my comments should carry hazard warnings. :lol:

I'd hope it was obvious to most members here I was simply pointing out that the box logo/big picture cover design wasn't directly inspired by the 2004 Dandy.
:roll:

SID

Post by SID »

So The Beano has finally gone the same way as Hotspur and Victor and is finally losing 'The'. End of an era.

And I see that it is not just the comic and website that is having a logo change but this year's annual too. Usually it takes at least a year for such a change to reach the book. So a first.

Also I'm a little confused. Hasn't The Beano Annual been on sale (since August?) with the old logo? If that is the case, does that mean that there are two versions of the annual - one with the old logo and the one with the new? Unless the annual hasn't come out yet. Admittedly, I haven't checked in the shops.

Anyway, I'll be getting the new Beano tomorrow. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

The release date of the annual was pushed back until 25/09/2016 to coincide with the relaunch. The cover of the Annual with the old logo was like a mock up cover as they didn't want to reveal the new logo until the launch

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

The Christmas special is now available online!

SID

Post by SID »

Ellis wrote:The release date of the annual was pushed back until 25/09/2016 to coincide with the relaunch. The cover of the Annual with the old logo was like a mock up cover as they didn't want to reveal the new logo until the launch
Thanks, Ellis. I eventually realized that when I read all the posts in this thread. Obviously DCT must have a lot of faith in the relaunch to give up 8 odd weeks of potential sales for the annual so that it can be released with the new logo.

Saying that, is it such a gamble? People who buy the annual religiously will do so and there's still plenty of time for the casual buyers to get a copy before Christmas. Besides, don't the majority of people buy annuals nearer to Christmas? I certainly do.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

Well I bought a couple of copies of the new-look issue and I must say I really like it.

To be fair, the comic has changed over the years and having a complete new logo re-design (rather than just jazzing up the old logo every now and then) is a really good idea.

I like the fact that they use "Beanoness" rather than yellow ink (which also explains the yellow cover of this year's annual.

And another first; not only did the Beano Annual get the logo upgrade in the same year as the comic - it actually got it before as the book was out in the shops before the comic.

Good luck, Beano.

:cheers:

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

Have all the subscribers got their copies yet, because mine still hasn't arrived?!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

mine came today creased and bent as usual :(

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

I have been really disappointed in the subscription service recently. If my copies continue to arrive late after this week then I'd may as well cancel it and buy from a shop.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Ellis wrote:I have been really disappointed in the subscription service recently. If my copies continue to arrive late after this week then I'd may as well cancel it and buy from a shop.
im thinking the same they use sh*t plastic bags with no protection whatsoever and the last 2 year majority of my copies come torn or bent etc and i get it late more often than not.

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

big bad bri wrote:
Ellis wrote:I have been really disappointed in the subscription service recently. If my copies continue to arrive late after this week then I'd may as well cancel it and buy from a shop.
im thinking the same they use sh*t plastic bags with no protection whatsoever and the last 2 year majority of my copies come torn or bent etc and i get it late more often than not.
It would be better if they came with a bit more protection I must admit luckily mine haven't really been that badly damaged. Maybe if they stuck a sheet of cardboard in them. It's the arriving late that really bothers me, especially when "get every copy before it's in the shops" is the reason why I subscribed in the first place.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

got mine today

I like the idea of the longer story...it will have a different character each week inn this format..

Missing Pup Parade by Lew..
also Steve Bright Bananaman..nice its two pages though.
don't like the junior editot featuring in a middle of a strip..
don't mind at the bottom of page..
Who will draw Billy whizz...this week a reprint..
Also a new Bash street kids artist..
also missing David Sutherland..But who could replace him..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bad start from new BSK artist Mychailo Kazybrid. Cuthbert is supposed to have brown hair, not black. Also, whoever did the credits called him Mychalio. We have seen him in Beano and it's monthly spin-off before - he drew Wallace and Gromit.

The Billy Whizz strip has no credits and has been relettered.

I notice that Epic wasn't advertised.

The annual advert needs to be redone, the Dandy Annual cover looks badly distorted.

Bambeanos is gone from the reader contributions page (Wall of Fame, now renamed B-Mail). So why were they still asking for submissions last week?
Ellis wrote:The Christmas special is now available online!
https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/our-bra ... -2016.html

Can't say I like that cover. Too much like the weekly, I can imagine shops mistaking it for it. And the art looks like it wasn't designed to have that yellow banner there.

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

I quite like the cover of the Christmas special. Always a big fan of the specials! I wonder if it'll be the same as last year with all new stories and features (which was a nice surprise last year)

As for the new Beano I'm glad that the mini strips are staying as I really do enjoy them as much as the full pagers!

SID

Post by SID »

I can understand what Digi is saying but then again you can't mistake the Christmas Special as being part of the Beano brand.

However, I do miss the supersized specials of the 70s with the specially designed logos and where even the strips were presented differently compared to the weekly.