Beano to get CGI revamp for YouTube generation

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Beano to get CGI revamp for YouTube generation

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Nice logo---modern but 'sort of ' retro---I guess that makes it 'post-Modern'.[!]

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Looks good, I agree with Digifiend that the cover kinda reminds me of the 2004 Dandy revamp.

Look forward to seeing what's inside.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Gilly wrote:Looks good, I agree with Digifiend that the cover kinda reminds me of the 2004 Dandy revamp.

Look forward to seeing what's inside.

Can't see the similarity myself. What I do see is a dynamic composition and the impact of only using the three primary colours. The design is both modern in its use of bold cover lines and swanky new logo, yet traditional in the use of a masthead that's independent of the main image.

Although my page was a casualty of the revamp I wish it well. i hope that comic fans (and of course its intended younger demographic) support it.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yellow box at the top with the logo in it (in the same blue border red inner colour scheme too), a slim bar underneath with the Every Wednesday and website address in it, large character picture underneath. It definitely looks a lot closer to that than Xtreme, which is what I meant. It has similarities, but it's not an exact copy, nor should it be.
big bad bri wrote:
Peter Gray wrote:of course sub didn't arrive today...

also in other WHSmiths couldn't see Beano annual to take photo...must be just Woking..
probably be released next week anyway..
mine never arrived either thats the 4th sat in a row.and the annual is released on 27th sep.
Well my WHSmith had it at least four days early. And others saw the annual in stock before I did.

Hopefully you guys will get your subs tomorrow. I swear they delayed them on purpose. They don't seem to want to tell us what the contents are or who the creators are, though Dennis, Gnasher And Gnipper, Bash Street Kids, Minnie, Roger, Bananaman, Billy Whizz, and Tricky Dicky are safe. Dicky's the only one of those with no character profile on the website yet as far as I can tell, and he's on the cover. The Squelchies have a profile too, so Calamity James is probably still there.

Most of the characters now have full names. Smiffy's and Toots' don't match the old Wizard stories.

https://www.beano.com/categories/characters

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Yellow box at the top with the logo in it (in the same blue border red inner colour scheme too), a slim bar underneath with the Every Wednesday and website address in it, large character picture underneath. It definitely looks a lot closer to that than Xtreme, which is what I meant. It has similarities, but it's not an exact copy, nor should it be.
The box style masthead with the text underneath followed by a big image is pretty much a UK comic standard dating back to Ally Sloper's Half Holiday in the 19th Century. That's why I didn't consider the 2004 Dandy design as distinctively similar to the new Beano.

Basically it's a design dating back to the dawn of UK comics (and even prior to that, with "penny dreadfuls") but with a fresh, modern look, just as the best comics have always reflected contemporary design.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Although the new design is modernly-done, the colours remind me of those used in the 60s masthead and that's why I like it.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I agree reminds me of the 60's masthead too...the logo is growing on me..

starscape

Post by starscape »

Not a fan of the logo. Straight line seems a bit 'professional'. I'd have thought kids would have preferred something a little crazier.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Beano sub didn't arrive today... :(

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Peter Gray wrote:Beano sub didn't arrive today... :(
nor mine :(

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

Mine neither. Apparently according to their Facebook page subscribers will return their copies between Monday to Wednesday this week for "this week only". Though mine has been arriving this late for at least 5 weeks now. Will look forward to seeing the new look!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks to beano150, we have a contents list.
http://beanoforum.freeforums.org/issue- ... t1274.html
beano150 wrote: And I got that for free at The Beano Experience yesterday! I won't do a review but here's the contents :)

1 - Cover

2 - SO BEANO!

3, 4, 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 - Dennis The Menace and Gnasher

11 - The Beano Boss (new feature, to be featured in the comic)

12 - Beano and Dandy annual advert

13 - Calamity James

14 & 15 - The Bash Street Kids

16 - Ball Boy

17 - Gnasher's Gnawesome Giveaways

18 & 19 - Minnie The Minx

20 - Gnasher & Gnipper

21 - Minnie's Top 10 Lol Jokes

22 & 23 - Bananaman

24 - Tricky Dicky

25 - Tricky Dicky's School Of Pranks

26 & 27 - B-Mail

28 - Numskulls (no longer "The" Numskulls)

29 - Never Be Without A Beano (subscription advert)

30 & 31 - Roger The Dodger

32 & 33 - Real Construction Speedboat (Advert) (Competition to win a set and win a scooter)

34 - Billy Whizz

35 - Goodbye from this weeks Beano Boss, how to apply to be the next Beano Boss and next weeks issue preview

36 - Make Me A Menace

The Menace Test is now gone, but there's 3 questions to answer and email in order to apply to be the Beano Boss. Apparently you get placed into a draw so it's fair - not sure if that's how Make Me A Menace worked/works but everyone has an equal chance for this. I'll apply!
Extra long Dennis, so some features won't be appearing until next week. No new characters. Minnie has swapped places with Bash Street.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

"The box style masthead with the text underneath followed by a big image is pretty much a UK comic standard dating back to Ally Sloper's Half Holiday in the 19th Century. That's why I didn't consider the 2004 Dandy design as distinctively similar to the new Beano.

Basically it's a design dating back to the dawn of UK comics (and even prior to that, with "penny dreadfuls") but with a fresh, modern look, just as the best comics have always reflected contemporary design."
Lew Stringer

Once again I have to suggest a certain amount of caution with this statement. While many comics internationally fall into that style, many do not, including numerous British titles going way back. Some of our best loved and longest lasting titles, e.g., Radio Fun; Eagle; Swift; Film Fun; Beano; Dandy; Topper; Beezer. Then Girls' Crystal, which had an offset to the left title preceding 4 or 5 panels of the opening story. Even Bunty with it's banner title, sometimes had no big illo. on the cover, rather a few, smaller panels of story. Micky Mouse Weekly had an offset to the left title box followed by 10 or 11 standard panels of story on the cover.
A fair number of the lesser known comics of the '40's and '50's - too many to list but including, The Merry Maker; All Star; Ally Sloper - yes the same one mentioned in the quote - Prang; Jolly Chuckles, the list goes on, have (at times in the case of Ally Sloper) the title plus standard panels of story or humour strip on the cover and no big illo.
What does intrigue me is the lack of comics with the title down the left hand side of the cover. Can anyone come up with examples? That would be good :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

still no Sub Beano

Do you think Dennis will be longer stories from now on?