What would happen if DCT dropped 'The Dandy' from the title?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

What would happen if DCT dropped 'The Dandy' from the title?

Post by SID »

After reading (and noticing) about the recently smaller Dandy logo, it did start to make me wonder:

What would happen if DCT actually dropped 'The Dandy' name from the title?

Who would notice?

Okay, we would but would the kids who actually read it (apart from casual observation)? And would they care?

Personally, I don't think the kids would be that bothered. If they like the comic, they would continue to like the comic as it would still be the same. Plus it would have the cooler name of 'Xtreme' rather than 'Dandy'.

To me, The Dandy is a very different beast compared to what it was in the early naughties. In fact, if I had been off planet for the last few years and somebody had told me when I came back that The Dandy had merged with another comic called Xtreme, after reading it I would probably well believe it.

Especially since in the last two issues, 'The Dandy' logo has shrunk - being obscured by 'Xtreme'. (I still remember those ill-fated titles in those bygone years who were amalgamated into a more successful counterpart and slowly over the weeks, their names got smaller and smaller and smaller until one day, they were gone.)

Now if this did happen to Dandy, I suppose you would wonder why DCT would do this? Now I have been told that getting a new comic on the market is a difficult (and expensive?) task. Not only having to convince shops/stores to stock it but also convincing a new readership to buy it.

However, what if DCT just morphed an old comic into a new one? That way, they could still use the existing distribution network, inherit an existing readership which they could build on plus use any successful elements from the old comic.

Some could argue this has happened anyway. Look how it ignored its 70th birthday - a milestone event for any comic (and one celebrated by The Beano so why not The Dandy?).

Of course, I could be talking out of my bottom (I have been told that I do that at times ;)) but I do think it is a intriguing question in any case.

So what do you think would happen if DCT actually dropped 'The Dandy' name from the title?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

BeanoKev70

Re: What would happen if DCT dropped 'The Dandy' from the title?

Post by BeanoKev70 »

If they decided to go monthly with Dandy Xtreme, then yes I think the Dandy would go, you can see it now Xtreme goes monthly buy issue 1 next month!!!!!!!. Nice & easy change over.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The name and term 'DANDY' was outmoded even when the comic was launched in 1937; who on earth uses the word in it's actual true meaning [a stylish, overdressed 'fop'] in everyday speak?

However, the term 'Xtreme' seems and sounds contemporary right now, but will go the same way as the words:'FAB' or 'GROOVY' sooner than you might think.........

SID

Post by SID »

BeanoKev70 wrote:If they decided to go monthly with Dandy Xtreme, then yes I think the Dandy would go, you can see it now Xtreme goes monthly buy issue 1 next month!!!!!!!. Nice & easy change over.
Chuckle. Me too. :D
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:The name and term 'DANDY' was outmoded even when the comic was launched in 1937; who on earth uses the word in it's actual true meaning [a stylish, overdressed 'fop'] in everyday speak?

However, the term 'Xtreme' seems and sounds contemporary right now, but will go the same way as the words:'FAB' or 'GROOVY' sooner than you might think.........
True but I doubt that DCT would be thinking long term. And if a name change worked once, they could always do it again to keep the comic 'up-to-date'.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's a problem which might affect BeanoMAX one day as well. I wonder if that'll ever just become Max?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think the Beano is too strong a brandname, and I suspect Euan will resist any pressure in that direction - certainly as long as he continues to commission Beano characters for the comic.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The `Dandy` name is now just a name! When the Beatles first hit the charts a lot was made of their name and its `insect` connections! By the late 60s no one thought like that any more! they were just the Beatles! I think the same applys to the Dandy!
A Face unclouded by thought.

SID

Post by SID »

alanultron5 wrote:The `Dandy` name is now just a name! When the Beatles first hit the charts a lot was made of their name and its `insect` connections! By the late 60s no one thought like that any more! they were just the Beatles! I think the same applys to the Dandy!
Not sure if I follow you unless you mean that the original Dandy comic is dead and that the comic you see on magazine racks bears no relation apart from that it has 'Dandy' in the title? :?:

NP

Post by NP »

How do you derive that meaning from the post?

SID

Post by SID »

NP wrote:How do you derive that meaning from the post?
I was trying to get my head around alanultron5's post (no disrespect) and understood it to mean that the present Dandy has no more in common with the pre-fortnightly than the 'Beatles' band and insects.

But I could be way of base. :?

NP

Post by NP »

The point he was making is very simple:
When someone says 'Beatles' you don't think of insects, you think of the group.
When someone says 'Dandy' you don't think 'fine and dandy' or of a foppish Victorian or Edwardian gent, you think of the comic.
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would think of the 'original' meanings straight off.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Dandy does bear one relation to the current Dandy Xtreme: the presence of Desperate Dan, Bananaman and/or Cuddles and Dimples, all of which predate The Dandy even going full colour! But as all are no longer ever-present, that may not stick.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:The Dandy does bear one relation to the current Dandy Xtreme: the presence of Desperate Dan, Bananaman and/or Cuddles and Dimples, all of which predate The Dandy even going full colour! But as all are no longer ever-present, that may not stick.

The Dandy has always had content that changes, with Desperate Dan being the only constant. (Although admittedly even he's not in every issue now.)

The Beano has retained a core group of strips since the 1950s (Dennis, Minnie, and Bash Street) which has no doubt helped its image and sales. The Dandy has always been more experimental in its line up.

Interestingly, more of my local shops have the latest issue, - perhaps to make up for the previous one that didn't reach here.

Lew

SID

Post by SID »

NP wrote:The point he was making is very simple:
When someone says 'Beatles' you don't think of insects, you think of the group.
When someone says 'Dandy' you don't think 'fine and dandy' or of a foppish Victorian or Edwardian gent, you think of the comic.
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would think of the 'original' meanings straight off.
Thanks, NP. :) That what happens when you read a post and forgetting what was posted beforehand. It all makes sense now.

My apologies, Alanultron5. :)

But I do think that DCT doesn't think (or thinks their readers do not think) that 'Dandy' is a cool name. Else why stick 'Xtreme' after it and then use it to try and obscure the original name? Admittedly, I am not sure if they would get rid of the 'Dandy' name altogether but it may only be small logo on the front cover with no other reference to elsewhere.

Anyway, we will wait and see.... :|
Last edited by SID on 30 Apr 2009, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:The Dandy has always had content that changes, with Desperate Dan being the only constant. (Although admittedly even he's not in every issue now.)

The Beano has retained a core group of strips since the 1950s (Dennis, Minnie, and Bash Street) which has no doubt helped its image and sales. The Dandy has always been more experimental in its line up.

Lew
Dan's the only thing left from the Dandy of the 1970s, that's why I mentioned full colour, which I assume happened at the same time as The Beano, in 1988. With The Beano, you forgot Roger, although unlike the others, he's had no spin-offs, unless you count the Dodge Clinic. I agree about the line-up, and noticed your wish for a Bash Street cartoon on your blog! If Dennis is a success, maybe it'll happen. Who knows?

Speaking of TV shows, it's a pity Peter's Pocket Grandpa, as an adventure strip, would be out of place in Xtreme, as with Grandpa in my Pocket on Cbeebies (should've been CBBC in my opinion) it would be a good time for it's return. Incidentally, it's also older than any current Dandy character bar Dan.