Any Dandy Characters you DON'T like?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Dunder Ed

Re: Any Dandy Characters you DON'T like?

Post by Dunder Ed »

Cuddles and Dimples are my worst. 2 bratty children who have no real story line to them. Just one strip I always skip.

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

The bogies always skip every week :snoring:

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

BeanoKev70 wrote:The bogies always skip every week :snoring:
:(
Is it all that gross out humour? All the jokes about Snot? Or that there's none of that?

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Nigel Auchterlounie wrote:
BeanoKev70 wrote:The bogies always skip every week :snoring:
:(
Is it all that gross out humour? All the jokes about Snot? Or that there's none of that?
I wouldn't worry that you're failing to appeal to one of the over-forties demographic, Nige! :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

For me "Bully Beef and Chips" was a "DISASTER!!" I had loved their predecessors "Big Head and Thick Head" and BB & C were- to me - just terrible! I have never liked Jimmy Glenn's style of art and the storylines were just Sooo! Monotonous!

Apologies to those who like the strip; but for me, no!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Another Dandy strip I disliked was "Whako" With the teacher in armour! It seemed like a re-thread of the `Bash St Kids` without as many laughs for me!

I noticed in earlier posts in this thread comparisons of Dandy and Beano characters! This recalls to me, Dandy's "Smasher" Has anyone else noticed that Smasher got involved in far more fights than Beano's "Dennis the Menace" did in the 1960s!? I certainly realised that Smasher was far more of a scrapper than Dennis.
A Face unclouded by thought.

NP

Post by NP »

alanultron5 wrote:For me "Bully Beef and Chips" was a "DISASTER!!" I had loved their predecessors "Big Head and Thick Head" and BB & C were- to me - just terrible! I have never liked Jimmy Glenn's style of art and the storylines were just Sooo! Monotonous!

Apologies to those who like the strip; but for me, no!
You should also apologise to Jimmy Glenn, who was not responsible for the strip, drawn by Jimmy Hughes.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

On the subject of Jimmy Hughes, it was disheartening to read, in the new History of The Dandy book, that part of the reason for The Jocks and The Geordies and Bully Beef coming to an end was the rawness of his style when depicting the violent strips. I don't want to open the can marked 'The Possible Effects of Violence in Children's Comics' and get worms everywhere, but I guess the book's acknowledgement that it was the result of political correctness at least highlights the way 'PC' thinking can lead to some odd decisions.

As for strips I never warmed to...I spent my childhood skipping Black Bob :o :o :o

Although, in my defence, I always loved the drawings.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I never liked Jimmy Hughes's style either although it was slightly more agreeable in colour for Bully Beef and Chips but the pure black and white for the Jocks and the Geordies was just too harsh on the eye. He sometimes stood in forEric Roberts on Dirty Dick and used a slightly smoother style to copy Eric's which was much better.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'm afraid I absolutely loved Jimmy's style. Perfect for the job in my view!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

AndyB wrote:I'm afraid I absolutely loved Jimmy's style. Perfect for the job in my view!
Absolutely. For me, Jimmy told a story stripped to it's scratchy, visceral and very funny essentials. Bully's mum, in particular, always cracked me up. But it just shows what a broad (and sometimes baffling) church Comics UK is...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There's nothing wrong with different people having different tastes.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I never liked Smasher...Brian Walker's version was a lot better..
though his Oh Calamity! in Beezer was good..see I did a positive with a negative.. :wink:

Like a few people on here he was too like Dennis..

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Glad to see I'm not the only person who prefers Brian Walker's to Hugh Morren's Smasher. In my case, the original Smasher just looked incredibly strange to my eyes - almost subhuman. The more realistic style suited him a lot better.

From the previews I've seen of Lew Stringer's Smasher in the 2013 annual (which I haven't bought yet), he seems to be sticking to the Morren version. A shame, in my view. Older isn't necessarily better - otherwise Dennis the Menace would still be wearing a tie...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The thing I like about Lew's version of the Smasher is the way it emphasizes the character's talent for wholesale destruction, thereby differentiating him from the more generally anarchic Dennis in a way that the original series didn't always do. Similarly I like the way in which the new Julius Sneezer strip links his sneezing affliction with the dismal English climate (thereby serving him right for invading us!).

Sometimes the only difference between a humorous character who 'works' and one who doesn't is the discovery of some unique twist to their situation.

- Phil Rushton